3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Looking for a new truck, 02 dmax, to a dodge maybe???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a new truck, 02 dmax, to a dodge maybe???

alright i have a 2002 chev duramax, 2500. i love the truck, but there is already 190 000 km on it and i would like to sell it while i can still get a good buck for it. i bought it with high km, but money was tight so it was my only option. now im saved up for something better and am looking into either a 2004 chev with a duramax, or perhaps a 03 dodge with the cummins.

ive never driven a cummins so im not sure how they are, but i have 6 semi's and lots of loaders with a cummins in them, so i mean i know **** well they are a fantastic engine.

basically my question is this bein they are about the same price. this is what im looking for

-want something still under factory warranty, just power train, so what does gm offer a p\t warranty until vs dodge.

-need something that is fantastic in winter, i live in winnipeg, MB canada, and ive seen temps as low as -55 degree's with the windchill. temps so cold that a gas job won't start unless its plugged in. i need something that will start for me in average temps say -20 to -30 degree's. it will be plugged in most of the time, but if i am not around a plug for 6 hours i dont want to be stranded.

-i dont do tons of towing, so the extra power of the duramax is not really needed.

- i like chevy's styling better, but i think i am a little more sold on the cummins.

-still undecided if im going to tune it, i didnt tune this one and i never had a problem with not having enough power. i dont need it to go real fast, but i like to hear the turbo spool up and toss ya back a little.

please let me know what you guys think i should do?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:57 PM

I just bought a 2006 Ram 2500 switching from a 2002 Duramax as well. I love the dodge. I've had it for a week now almost and I am getting better fuel mileage with the dodge. I drove a dodge in 2000 and loved it. With my job I average around 3000-3500 miles a month so mileage is important. I also pull a trailer from time to time for work and also helping my dad haul hay. The dodge will get better fuel mileage than the Chevy, at least than mine did. The 2000 Dodge that I drove didn't give me any trouble at all. I will say though that the Chevy ride is smoother. Dodge has improved the comfort but the Chevy is better. I cannot say anything bad about my Dodge even though I've had it for a week. I will say though if you buy a Dodge make sure that the engine block heater cord is an option on the truck or make sure the dealership where you buy it from adds it for you. Mine does not have the cord so I am going to get the cord put on when I go in for my first oil change.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by shocker45
alright i have a 2002 chev duramax, 2500. i love the truck, but there is already 190 000 km on it and i would like to sell it while i can still get a good buck for it. i bought it with high km, but money was tight so it was my only option. now im saved up for something better and am looking into either a 2004 chev with a duramax, or perhaps a 03 dodge with the cummins.

ive never driven a cummins so im not sure how they are, but i have 6 semi's and lots of loaders with a cummins in them, so i mean i know **** well they are a fantastic engine.

basically my question is this bein they are about the same price. this is what im looking for

-want something still under factory warranty, just power train, so what does gm offer a p\t warranty until vs dodge.

-need something that is fantastic in winter, i live in winnipeg, MB canada, and ive seen temps as low as -55 degree's with the windchill. temps so cold that a gas job won't start unless its plugged in. i need something that will start for me in average temps say -20 to -30 degree's. it will be plugged in most of the time, but if i am not around a plug for 6 hours i dont want to be stranded.

-i dont do tons of towing, so the extra power of the duramax is not really needed.

- i like chevy's styling better, but i think i am a little more sold on the cummins.

-still undecided if im going to tune it, i didnt tune this one and i never had a problem with not having enough power. i dont need it to go real fast, but i like to hear the turbo spool up and toss ya back a little.

please let me know what you guys think i should do?
If you don't need the extra power than you better not by the dodge. The dodge will have every bit if not more power than the d-max. I went from a 2004 d-max to a 04.5 dodge to a 05 ford 6.0 to a 06 dodge. One thing I can tell you is I have been full circle resting in peice with the dodge and never looked back. As you can tell I am "very" happy with the dodge cummins.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shocker45,

Watch out if you think you want a Durmax as many of the LLY engines in the 04's & 05's over heat when put under a heavy load. The offical word from Chevy is their is no over heating problems yet I have read many a post in an other fourm about all the problems they have with that engine. Also Chevy has had to buy back a few of them and you know darn well they found there way to some car lot for some poor sole to buy.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:09 PM

There is a guy on KYDTR that had a overheating LLY
Old 09-19-2006, 09:07 PM

Hey Shocker,
Welcome to the site. Hope you decide to stay for awhile.
T398