3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Jacobs E-Brake for 48RE Automatics

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Jacobs E-Brake for 48RE Automatics

;D I really hope you are right in this now being available on the 48RE. My new 03 3500 dually with HO, 48re, 4X4, 4.10 is due to arrive in the next couple of weeks. I've been pushing my dealer to stay on top of this exhaust brake issue because I really want it. In my mind it makes MORE sense on an auto than on the 6sp. Based on your note my dealer just got his email full of me telling him to get it!! If anyone else gets confirmation of this please let us know. Thanks again............ ;D
Old 03-31-2003, 10:45 PM

The dealers I have talked to don't know. Talked to a Chrysler rep at the Vancouver auto show on Saturday and he said not yet for the E Brake but hope to have it resolved within the year, whatever that means. Asked him if there was any difference in the weights with the HO/48RE. Said he didn't know but would get back to me. Doesn't this kind of stuff from DC drive you nuts when you are looking for a tow vehicle?
Old 04-01-2003, 08:34 AM

I don't see what will be so special about the auto version of the E-brake. The E-brake if on an auto or manual still goes on the exhaust section outlet after the turbo. It would make sense that the manual version would work fine with the automatic. Its a pretty simple device.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:44 AM

Got this quote off www.cummins.com<br>It refers to the Jacobs exhaust brake.<br><br>&quot;* Dodge recommends the use of exhaust brakes only on vehicles with manual transmissions. &quot; :'(
Old 04-01-2003, 06:40 PM

This issue really $^%$&amp;$&amp; me off. If you go to a dealer they don't know as much about their trucks as I do. If you contact DC directly they tell you to go to the dealer. I wonder what is so difficult about giving us at least a realistic opinion of when and if we will get ebrakes on the 48RE. :'( :'( :'(
Old 04-02-2003, 06:19 PM

Just an update from me. I had a call directly from my DC Dealer Service Manager today who had called DC directly. The word he got is the E Brake is not yet available for the 48RE. Further when he got the price for the brake it was not an astronomical $2500 + $300 for installation. I know that's only $1500 for you guys south of the border but still over $1500 more than I was quoted before. Based on the pricing variances I've seen in some of your notes...these guys are playing games on us. If and when I can put one on my 48RE I really shop around.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:22 PM

Well I suppose if anyone should be *%$-off, it should be me...I'm the one that had a Jacobs E-brake installed on my '03 HO/48RE combo. I just got back on line tonight, after spending most of yesterday with my truck. I sent a personal reply to Nagi about this same topic, and in that message I said that my review of all installation literature, etc. only and always refers to MANUAL transmissions. I fear I may have been royally duped by my dealer on this one, as he specifically called me a few days before my truck arrived at his place to tell me that the Jake was now available for the 48RE. I will call DC in the morning and chase down this issue. Thanks to all of you for your research, and to Nagi I apologize for feeling &quot;Bushwhacked&quot;....I'm feeling like a complete sucker on this issue. BTW, the brake appears to work OK, but it is really too soon to tell its true effectiveness because I haven't towed anything with it yet. I do, however, smell exhaust in the cab at just about every stop. We have had 30+mph winds here since I picked up the truck, but it is hard to believe it would always blow the exhaust INTO the truck, and not AWAY from the truck. I sure hope this isn't going where I think it's going.....
Old 04-03-2003, 02:13 AM

The brake uses a very fragile graphite gasket. Check for exhaust leaks while the brake is engaged at the interface between the turbo and exhaust brake. Double check the torque on the turbo to brake clamp. I had the same problem. If you need a new gasket, don't bother asking your dealer. He doesn't carry it. Cummins distributors do carry it however. Good luck<br><br>Casey
Old 04-05-2003, 08:57 AM

UPDATE ON E-BRAKE INSTALL BY THE DEALER IN COTTONWOOD, ARIZONA: <br>Clearly I needed to follow-up on the potentially incorrect installation of a Jacobs Brake (Mopar part#82208277) on my new HO/48RE pickup. This is what I did on Thursday, 4-3-03:<br>1) E-mailed Cummins with a link to this thread, explaining the potential problem and asking for their input on how this installation may or may not affect engine wear and warranty. I received a reply on Friday from Cummins, stating that this was an issue for Dodge to address, not Cummins. <br>2) E-mailed Jacobs with the same request. As of this writing, no response.<br>3) E-mailed the Service Manager at my dealership and asked him to a)verify warranty was not affected, and b)installation of the 6-speed exhaust brake on a 48RE would not compromise performance or durability of the powertrain. I then called him late in the day Friday, just to get an idea of what his research had produced. He told me that prior to ordering the Jake for my 48RE, he contacted Jacobs directly and talked with their western regional sales manager to confirm that this brake was in fact OK to install on an HO/48RE setup. He ordered the brake only after receiving this confirmation from Jacobs. Additionally, he called a service manager at a Phoenix area dealer, who said he had done several installs of the 82208227 on 48RE-equipped trucks. As my service manager understands it, Jacobs didn't want to see installs on 47RE's because they didn't lock up in 3rd, .... 48RE's DO lock up in third, presumably solving the problem. Please forgive me if I am making mis-statements here, as I have a relatively feeble grasp of things mechanical, and I'm only trying to repeat here what was told to me. It is clear to me that my Service Manager at Oxendale Dodge has been working diligently to get me correct answers as they come to him. He continues to research the problem from his end. More importantly, he told me yesterday that if he finds out that he did an incorrect install, he will gladly and immediately uninstall the Jacobs brake and return the truck to a condition that satisfies me. It should also be noted that I was a relative pain in the b*tt do deal with prior to receiving my truck...sending a long series of e-mails to my Service Manager about various add-ons that I wanted him to install on the truck prior to me taking delivery of it. He was patient, he listened to my requests and executed them EXACTLY. I am truly impressed with the service I have received at Oxendale Dodge, and clearly they intend to make right on any mistakes that may have happened with this brake installation. I regret that I spoke harshly about them in earlier postings....a lesson learned about speaking in the heat of the moment. I will post more as the situation progresses. BTW, Thanks Casey for the gasket tip. Oxendale has asked me to bring in the truck ASAP so they can find the leak &amp; fix it...they will start looking per your gasket comment.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:07 PM
Banned

Dunno why yer panties are in a twist...you had a DC dealer install an exhaust brake on an automatic truck, and tell you that you have warranty. So if something breaks later on then the installing dealer will fix it. (they installed the brake right??) Jake doesn't care what kind of tranny is in the truck. They build engine brakes. Neither does Cummins. They build the engine. Same engine in an auto tranny truck and a stick. If you are really that paranoid then just turn it off until you find out. This really is a no brainer. LOTS of guys would like the jake on a 48RE. And some have a pacbrake on the 48RE. Soon it will be certified for the 48RE and you will be &quot;legal&quot;.

Quick Reply: Jacobs E-Brake for 48RE Automatics