3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

input on new truck purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
input on new truck purchase

I have narrowed down the choice to a new CTD 4X4 2500 HD QC. It wil need to pull a slant load gn horse trailer (~6000lbs) and a utility trailer w/small tractor (~5000lbs) as well as be a work truck. Oh yeah we may sell our small motorhome and get a 24-25' fith wheel trailer (maybe 7500lbs) to tow with it as well but that would be years from now if at all.
The questions are:
Do you need to get an antispin differential axle with 4x4 ?

What is the advantage of shift on the fly as opposed to the manual shift?

Any issues with pulling a GN or fith wheel trailer with a shortbed?

Not sure wether to go with manual or auto. Wife really wants an auto but will hardly ever drive it. I got my first auto in my last truck and it was great (but no heavy hauling). The new auto tranny with an exhaust brake sounds good but still somewhat concerned about longevity. So the question is what is the most compelling reason for a six speed manual?

Thanks
Dan

Soon to be CTD 2500hd
Old 01-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the DTR dawall

I have moved your questions here as you are inquiring about a new truck.
These guys will be able to help you out.

Rich
Old 01-02-2004, 04:23 PM

Talking

Welcome to the site
I know you say you won't be going heavier on the 5VR than about 7500lbs but if you have kids you may rethink that when you go to buy.
I have a SB 3500 and love it. There are some draw backs, that is I had to get a slider 5th wheel hitch(Superglide) It's an awesome hitch but does cost $2200 installed. I do have the option of installing a gooseneck ball with this setup. I shouldn't have any problems as long as the gooseneck ujpper deck is long enough to clear the bed.
That is where the long bed would have been better and possibly even a set of trainning wheels to support any load I would like to carry.
You can look at setup in my pictures it works great and makes it easier to drive as a daily driver in the shortbed.
If I were to do it again I might go with the dually instead and the same brand of hitch except for the long bed.
The shift on the fly is great I have had no problems and love it, all I do is turn the **** and I'm in 4HI.
As far as manual or auto that your call. I decided I didn't want to be shifting gears that much so I have the auto. The new 48RE on the 04.5 models is suppose to be exhaust brake compatible
Go with the anti-spin, it's better to have and not need than to not have and wish you did.
I hope my .01 worth helps
Anyway you go you will just love it.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:30 PM

You don't NEED the anti spin but it can be nice depending on the part of the country you are in and where you drive. I would get it and not think twice.

both of the 4 wheel drives are shift on the fly, one is just with a lever on the floor and the other with a **** on the dash.

For what you are towing I wouldn't be scared of the auto, if you are ever going to do any bombing to the truck the stick is easier and cheaper.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the replies,

Just to clarify the question about the transfer case shifter. Why would someone spend $500 to push a button as opposed to flipping a lever. Unless there is some other functionallity.

Also, I forgot to ask, what is the deal about joining the Farm Bureau and getting a $500 discount on a new truck purchase. We do live on a property zoned A2 but we don't farm or Ranch for income.
Is it available in California??

Thanks again
Dan
Old 01-02-2004, 07:39 PM

Well I don't know if any one pays the $500 just to get it. Most of the time people just end up with it because it is part of the Laramie package. It does free up some space on the floor.

Don't know about the farm deal. Their is a business credit also if you are self employed
Old 01-02-2004, 08:17 PM

Thumbs up From what I understand

I think you must be a member in good standing, with the farm bureau for at least 30 days prior, to buying a truck for the $500 rebate.coobie
Old 01-03-2004, 10:32 AM

Farm Bureau

You might want to check out www.farmbureau.com

It is my understanding that you do not need to be a farmer to join.

jr
Old 01-03-2004, 11:21 AM

Location: Dead Center in the Middle of TN. 20 miles from Jack Daniels, 10 miles from George Dickle and .8 mi from the liquor store at I-24 Exit 114
I have a 2WD 3500 Quadcab/Shortbed/Singlewheel/ Cummins HO/6spd and I love it!

My truck has the Anti-spin rear with 4:10 gears. I would definitely buy the 4:10's again. They pull and the fuel mileage is not bad either. Instead of lugging or downshifting I just push down the pedal and go!

As for the GN/5R the short bed is a pain. It requires a slider hitch or a long nose neck to clear the cab. I looked at several trailer suppliers and they are beginning to provide a longer neck for the SB trucks, but they are special order when available and more expense or less trailer. On the enclosed trailers they wanted me to pay for a 36' trailer and then lose two foot of the deck by cutting it to a 6 foot deck leaving a 34' trailer. This defeated my purpose of using it as a place for a bed.

I found several good trailers used and the savings were consumed by having to spend the extra money to get the slider hitch.

I wound up buying an enclosed 28" TT with living quarters to haul my cars in. I've pulled one many a mile and survived this long so I guess it won't hurt to buy another one. BTW it was $3500 cheaper to buy the TT trailer plus the $1000- $2000 saved on the hitch. I have the Reese Strait-line hitch with the dual cam sway control that was only $440.

In my opinion if you need 4WD then you need the anti-spin locking differential. I have Jeeps with 4WD and do not plan on driving or pulling in bad weather requiring 4WD so I went with the 2WD. I still went with the anti-spin version for asphalt driving. Most all of my towing will be in the Summer months.

Jim
Old 01-03-2004, 12:45 PM

Manual shift vs. **** on the dash --
Either is just fine but I preferred the manual shift on the floor so I can feel it going into 4x...plus you don't have to worry about anything electronic going wrong with the manual shift on the floor. Minor issue but that know is electronic. My concerns go back to a company Ford Explorer we drove that had constant electronic push button 4x4 problems, but haven't heard of any problems with the Rams.

Antispin --
All of the dealers in Alaska who have been in business for years try to order them with antispin and there is only one dealer known in the state not to do so (Lithia) and they're new to Alaska. The salesman I spoke with there said that they didn't feel it was necessary...I went elsewhere so I could find one that had it as it's a necessity even with four wheel drive. I've got it on mine and wouldn't be caught dead without it.

48RE auto --
Great transmission!! I've owned both a 6 shooter as well as my current 48RE and both are terrific transmissions. That six shooter was a great transmission and shifted easily, but needed an auto with my "football" knee. I've pulled 8000 pound loads up Turnigan Pass like there was nothing back there, and have had no problems with the 48RE tranny. My wife wanted me to get an auto also, and the few times she's driven it, the auto has been a Godsend. She had to drive me to the hospital when I screwed up my knee, and without the auto I probably would have been a gimpy hitchhiker as she won't drive a manual!! Seriously, either are great trannies and you can't go wrong with your choice IMO.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:30 PM

Manage to find this site last night about short bed trucks with gooseneck hitches

http://www.mrtruck.net/turnoverball.htm

http://www.mrtruck.net/popup.htm

interesting site. It looks like either one of them would do the trick. Also, I know, on some horse trailers they taper the nose and ...according to the salesman... work just fine in a shortbed truck. the thing I was concerned about is the fithwheel hitch working for a camper.
We just bought a nice 2002 (Winnebago Rialta) motorhome that my wife loves to drive to her dog shows. So I do not think well be getting the 5ver...... soon.
The short bed is the choice for me because turning radius is very high on my priorities. I work out of a truck and getting in and out of tight spaces is a daily occurance. The Dodge is the best of the big three trucks, by far, for its turning radius. I'm willing to deal with plwood and 2x4's hanging off the back, no big deal. If I need to haul a big load, I use my utility trailer.
So it looks like my truck will be a SLT 2500 4x4, 48re, sb, manual transfer case shift, with lsd rear axle.

I looked at the Farm bureau site and the Dodge site but found nothing about any dicounts for truck purchases. Our county F.B. is just down the road in town, I'll have to stop in and see if they can tell me anything.

Thanks
Dan
Old 01-03-2004, 09:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would have preferred the manual transfer case (less to go wrong) but electric came with the Laramie. It is nice not to have to reach for the lever, though.

I just got rid of my shortbox for my current Ram, and it didn't take long to get used to the extra length. I got the long box because I also wanted the truck set up to pull a fifth wheel. Being able to turn sharp without the hassle of a sliding hitch was high on my list.

I went with the B&W turnover ball, with "Companion" 5th wheel hitch, because I wanted a flat bed (no rails) when the hitch was not in use. The setup is more money, and probably heavier, but if you want a flat bed to use a camper or something I would recommend it.

Personally, I went with the open rear end, having had a truck with limited slip that tended to slide sideways when both wheel spun. I also like the 6 speed, and don't mind driving it in city traffic, but both of those are personal preferences...

The only other thing I would say is buy more truck than you think you will need. No one ever says "my truck handles my trailer too easily, I wish I would have bought a lighter duty truck"! Someday you may want a bigger 5th wheel, and pin weight will be 15-20%.