3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Injector Problems & CP3 Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector Problems & CP3 Failure

I just was told by my 5 Star dealer that they had to replace the CP3 Pump (blown seal that contamimated the crank case with gallons of fuel) and some injectors. One of the replaced injectors is leaking and they need to order a seal. Seal could take weeks to come in - on national back order?? What's with this?? I asked them why they couldn't install another injector. Of course the service writer was unsure but she would get back to me with a specific delivery date by 5:00 PM which gives them 30 minutes. So far they had to buy $4,500 in parts. This doesn't make a lot of sense. So far, I have been out of my truck for 6 days
Old 05-22-2007, 07:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Think they can take up to 30 days to get parts, then you can lemon law it if in the right state. Suggest that they contact a Cummins dealer and see if parts are available from them and if so demand that they get them there or supply you with a like vehicle as a loaner as they can not supply parts to repair your truck in a reasonable time. Also try the same with the Dodge customer care line, doubt much will happen but will make someone situp and take notice real quick and in my case it allowed an emergancy shipment of an injector while we were stranded 300 miles from home with a defective injector, parts that were not avail were suddenly available next day emergancy freight.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:30 PM

I appreciate your suggestions. I plan to continue making a lot of noise. I sent Customer Care a long email message about this poor customer service a few minutes ago. I doubt I'll hear back from them. I plan to follow up tomorrow with a phone call. I can't believe they would treat a customer this way while the vehicle is under warrranty. The dealer advised I needed to have an "Extended Warranty" to get day one rental coverage. The vehicle has less than 26,000 miles and only a year old. I am very dissatisfied with the customer service. I have had other warranty repairs by GM and they always offered me a rental if the repair went beyond one day. I am not sure if this was complimentary but it sure was great customer service. I am not trying to bash Dodge but someone needs to get a little more sympathetic toward the customer if they want them to return.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Only if you have purchansed the extended warranty do you get a loaner. If the dealer is big hearted then the dealer may offer a short term loaner to you. I finally just got rid of my 04.5 due to so many fuel related problems, Lift pump, then CP3, then 2 injectorus, in between 4 rail relief valves and lousy fuel millage aftew the second injector but due to the fact that there were no codes then there were no problems.....yeah, went from 13-15 towing to 7-9 so something was wrong i'm sure but now I don't have to deal with it.

Good luck....
Old 05-23-2007, 08:59 PM

Day 6 going on day 7 and still no truck. I called Auburn Hills, MI today and gave them the skinny. First I informed them about the great service I received 4 weeks ago at Mechanicsville Dodge in Mechanicsville, VA. (Diff dealer) Never hurts to give someone a pat on the back for a job well done. This helps their 5 Star ratings according to DC. I then explained the situation with the backordered "O" ring. Supposedly its on a truck somewhere headed to a warehouse somewhere. When it gets into inventory, they ship it to the Dealer. Ended up DC agreed to give me a complimentary 5 day rental (with limitations) for starts on them, not the dealer. If it goes beyond 5 days, they'll consider adding more rental time. Needless to say, this pleased me. I'll be out of pocket for the rental until reimbursement by DC. But what a hassle.

All of this concerns me. I understand the issue about needing an Extended Warranty to get a rental if down-time is less than 5 days. Seems kind of retarded that I need to pay up front to get rental reimbursement. Furthermore, stop and think, they have had the truck in the shop for more than 6 days and the dealer was still not willing to cough up a complimentary loaner. I am not mentioning the Dealer here to protect the innocent.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:24 PM

It's too bad that they don't automatically give you something to drive. I mean it isn't necessarily the dealerships fault that a part failed, but I think that Dodge or Chrysler or whoever is at the top should foot the bill. It's only fair, since the product you're paying for that is supposed to work flawlessly for so many miles isn't....but it's not a perfect world.....dang it!
Old 05-24-2007, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by vettehead
I appreciate your suggestions. I plan to continue making a lot of noise. I sent Customer Care a long email message about this poor customer service a few minutes ago. I doubt I'll hear back from them. I plan to follow up tomorrow with a phone call. I can't believe they would treat a customer this way while the vehicle is under warrranty. The dealer advised I needed to have an "Extended Warranty" to get day one rental coverage. The vehicle has less than 26,000 miles and only a year old. I am very dissatisfied with the customer service. I have had other warranty repairs by GM and they always offered me a rental if the repair went beyond one day. I am not sure if this was complimentary but it sure was great customer service. I am not trying to bash Dodge but someone needs to get a little more sympathetic toward the customer if they want them to return.
You have an aftermarket module and you expect warranty?
Old 05-24-2007, 07:50 AM

It is amazing all the guys that don't think twice about destroying their $20,000 engine or $6000 tranny with a module and then expect a warranty repair.

Why? who is a impressed by a 14 second work truck? A sixteen year old?

You want impressive, join your local Air National Guard, go to F-16 school, wait 'til a cold winter day and take a local hop with a clean wing in full afterburner. Comment removed by admin.

Last edited by Totallyrad; 06-03-2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Vulgar remark
Old 05-24-2007, 08:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to ask about the module but got beat to it but they were more of a flame then what I want to say.

Any chance that the installation of the module had anything to do with the failures??

Did you remove it before you took the truck in??

Did the dealership make any comment about the fact you may have had a module??
Old 06-03-2007, 07:58 PM

Module was removed. Turns out the module had nothing to do with this. After many replacement injectors and seals, it was determined the head was incorrectly machined for the number 6 injector. A proper mating surface could not be obtained and the injector continued to leak. Finally a new head was installed and the leak at #6 ceased to exist. Why it took several thousand miles to manifest itself is unknown. Tech thinks it was leaking all along and just got to the point where it really started dumping fuel. Tech did a great job putting the engine back together. It only took DC 2 weeks to figure it out.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:01 PM

I dont see what the big deal is with having a module on your truck. I just bought my truck last week and my dealer sells them. They tried to get me to put it on the truck and then they would just add it to the price that I financed.

The truck that I just traded in had superchips, intake, electric cutout, headers , and 4:56 gears and it still had 30K left on the warranty. Dealer doesnt really care. I guess some dealers care and some really could care less.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vettehead
Module was removed. Turns out the module had nothing to do with this. After many replacement injectors and seals, it was determined the head was incorrectly machined for the number 6 injector. A proper mating surface could not be obtained and the injector continued to leak. Finally a new head was installed and the leak at #6 ceased to exist. Why it took several thousand miles to manifest itself is unknown. Tech thinks it was leaking all along and just got to the point where it really started dumping fuel. Tech did a great job putting the engine back together. It only took DC 2 weeks to figure it out.
no.. it only took the tech a few hours to put it together...the rest of the time it was just sitting out in the dealer service compound
Old 06-04-2007, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Crankpot
It is amazing all the guys that don't think twice about destroying their $20,000 engine or $6000 tranny with a module and then expect a warranty repair.

Why? who is a impressed by a 14 second work truck? A sixteen year old?

You want impressive, join your local Air National Guard, go to F-16 school, wait 'til a cold winter day and take a local hop with a clean wing in full afterburner. Comment removed by admin.
WOW, i think a 14 second work truck would be sweet...<^><^>

He put a chip on...not the end of the world. I highly doubt catastrophic failure was caused from the module.

Sounds like they are taken care of you. Could be worse.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:05 AM

Maxwell Dodge in Austin will put an Edge on your truck, but will tell you if you have chip related problems you have to take it up with Edge. Personally, I felt that if you play you pay, but after hearing all the stories how bad some dealers ripped off customers charging thousands of $$$ saying they had bad fuel, when they can't prove it, I don't know any more.

All three major US companies are having their problems and tightening up of warranty repairs. Ford is just as bad. If you have a Chevy and put on even one size larger tire they will void the warranty.

just my opinion
Pete
Old 06-04-2007, 11:34 AM

As it turned out I was without the truck for a little over 1 week. DC gave me rental reimbursement for 5 days. I probably could have gotten more but I did not need the vehicle more than the 5 day period so I wasn't going to soak them for more than what was neccessary. The truck sits during the week. Its used extensively on weekends.

One further note on the Module - My 5 star dealer sold me the truck with an installed module. I did not install it after the fact. They know its on there and could care less.

Quick Reply: Injector Problems & CP3 Failure