Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   HO/48re on the ground!!!! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/ho-48re-ground-22980/)

Luke S 01-28-2003 02:51 PM

Re:HO/48re on the ground!!!!

Ok fella's, I just got to drive it again and it is 50 degrees today so it wasn't near as stiff. Here's the news. The seat of the pants o-meter definetely noticed more power and torque on acceleration. I was hoping the truck would have lock up in 2nd and 3rd during acceleration but it does not. The shifts are a lot crisper however, especially the 3-4 shift, man it is a hell of an improvement. No worrys about having the throttle wide open cause she's gonna shift smooth from3-4. The 1-2, 2-3 shifts still feel a lot like the 47 but are a bit better. Here's a big thing, TC lock-up while decelerating(exhaust brake compatibility). You can lock up the TC in 4th, 3rd, and in second by downshifting manually to 2nd and reving the engine until you feel the TC lock and then let off and you have lock-up :D Overall I think it is a huge inprovement over the 47re. I think it will suit a lot of people very well. However I don't think it will suit my needs because I need lock-up in 2nd and 3rd during acceleration for the loads I pull. Overall I was pretty pleased and I think it will suit most of you guys real well. 8)

Luke S 01-28-2003 03:12 PM

Dealseeker, I don't think the Chevy truck is superior, there is a lot of stuff I don't like about it. The ride is not as good, the steering, the brakes, the looks, the wheel&tire size. They do however have a superior auto tranny. :'(

RadioRex 01-28-2003 03:18 PM

Thanks Luke that is what I wanted to hear, will stick with the 48RE for my use and not change to the 6 speed. :)

dealseeker 01-28-2003 04:41 PM

Luke, buddy, you're saying all the right things now. Only problem is you've made the next couple weeks of waiting even harder to handle :).

KenR 01-28-2003 07:23 PM

Great report Luke. I think all of us were waiting to hear something good. Thanks

Moparior 01-28-2003 09:55 PM

Thanks for the report Luke. Do you happen to know if it is at all possible to mate a 48re to a cummins in a truck currently equipped with the 47re? I'm sure it can be done, but at what cost? How hard is it for the electronics to hook up, computer etc.? I wish I had waited for the new tranny, although I am not having any trouble with my 47re yet. However, If I do, I am gonna try to see about dropping a 48re in mine. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

KC 01-30-2003 01:16 PM

THanks for the info Luke, it is nice to know that Dodge has a better trans.<br><br>KC

drecu 01-30-2003 01:24 PM

[quote author=Luke S link=board=20;threadid=9967;start=30#97494 date=1043787092]<br>Ok fella's, I just got to drive it again and it is 50 degrees today so it wasn't near as stiff. Here's the news. The seat of the pants o-meter definetely noticed more power and torque on acceleration. I was hoping the truck would have lock up in 2nd and 3rd during acceleration but it does not. The shifts are a lot crisper however, especially the 3-4 shift, man it is a hell of an improvement. No worrys about having the throttle wide open cause she's gonna shift smooth from3-4. The 1-2, 2-3 shifts still feel a lot like the 47 but are a bit better. Here's a big thing, TC lock-up while decelerating(exhaust brake compatibility). You can lock up the TC in 4th, 3rd, and in second by downshifting manually to 2nd and reving the engine until you feel the TC lock and then let off and you have lock-up :D Overall I think it is a huge inprovement over the 47re. I think it will suit a lot of people very well. However I don't think it will suit my needs because I need lock-up in 2nd and 3rd during acceleration for the loads I pull. Overall I was pretty pleased and I think it will suit most of you guys real well. 8)<br>[/quote]<br><br>Luke if the TC Locks in second on downshift I would think if you took OD off it will lock up accelerating, have you already tried that? just a thought!<br><br>DRecu!

KenR 01-30-2003 01:44 PM

Ok, I am going to attempt to learn something new here since I don't understand what you are talking about concerning &quot;lockUp while acceleration&quot;. <br><br>Please explain.

Luke S 01-30-2003 03:00 PM

Ok, with my Allison tranny on my Chevy I can put it in tow/haul mode and it'll have TC lock-up in 2nd-5th gears while accelerating and decelerating. It just helps you get so much more power to the wheels than with the TC unlocked as with the Dodge, cause it won't lock up until 3rd and 4th :'(

drecu 01-30-2003 03:04 PM

[quote author=Luke S link=board=20;threadid=9967;start=30#98443 date=1043960433]<br>Ok, with my Allison tranny on my Chevy I can put it in tow/haul mode and it'll have TC lock-up in 2nd-5th gears while accelerating and decelerating. It just helps you get so much more power to the wheels than with the TC unlocked as with the Dodge, cause it won't lock up until 3rd and 4th :'(<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yes but what i;m saying is if you turn )D Off it should lock up second gear..... have you tried running the trruck with OD off?<br><br>DRecu!

CumminsNut 01-31-2003 03:02 PM

Bah!! &gt;:( It sounds like Dodge missed the boat again on this tranny setup! Why can't they put a real, made-for-a-diesel torque converter in their trannies?? ??? It makes no sense to me. Dodge still hasn't learned their lesson on diesel autos. This tc SUCKS!!! There's no two ways about it. This tc is not made for the low end grunt that the Cummins is made and designed for. You have to wind that motor up tighter than a rubber band in order to get any power to the road. I'm just sick! [yuk] I was really hoping Dodge would hit a home run with this new tranny, because I love the Cummins and was hoping that by the time I got around to getting a newer truck they would have an auto worth buying. But they didn't! :'( Is it just me, or are there more people that are dissatisfied with the tc/tranny combo they have available?? Sorry to vent - I just had to get that off my chest.

DF5152 01-31-2003 10:04 PM

cumminsnut. did u drive the new 48re? R u saying the the converter stalls to high like the oolder ones.....

CumminsNut 02-02-2003 10:35 AM

I have not driven the new trucks yet, but from the descriptions given by LukeS and other people on other forums, it sounds like the same old story. When you have lockup with a properly designed stator, you should have, at the most, 5-600rpm drop in engine speed. When you have an engine that is revving 3200rpm and the tc locks up and brings the rpm down to 2000, then that tc clutch lining is not going to last very long especially when towing heavy loads. Now it sounds like they have increased the clutch pressure and added more clutch surface, but without the properly designed stator (like DTT's), you're never going to have a properly built tc that will withstand the abuses that the Cummins dishes out. JMHO. ::)

rkelso98 02-03-2003 10:50 AM

Hate to inform all of you but according to a local dealer you guys can't really be driving an HO 48re cause they're still just an option on a build sheet and not available yet ??? I just emailed him back to inform him that his company has already delivered these to customers. [laugh] [laugh] Nice to be informed, I'm sure.