3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hail Damaged new 2006

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hail Damaged new 2006

I have been offered a deal ($45K plus 14%tax) Canadian on a new, no miles 2006 Dodge 3500 SLT 4x4 Quad Cab diesel, 6 speed manual and loaded with the usuall extras. They tell me it had $1400 hail damage and so they have to sell it as a used vehicle. They didn't offer this hail damage info but after doing many searches on Google I found out and when asked them about it, they said well yes of course didn't one of the salesman tell you ?
My son sell trucks up in Edmonton so I phoned him and he said the best he could do was $56K plus the 7% tax so looks like if I buy this one it would be quite a saving.
Here's the problem, the guy from the USA I found via Google that posted the blog bought the same exact brand new truck somewhere in the US with previous hail damage and started to have serious problems with leaks and the paint job and other things. He contacted the dealer who would do nothing. He then contacted Chrysler and they told him to go to the dealer so now he has had to hire a high price lawyer to try and get it fixed. I don't know how true all this is as I just read it on line.
Just wondering if anyone here has heard anything about hail damaged vehicles ? PS Hi folks, my first post. I have a 1991 Dodge diesel 250 that has 244,000 clicks on it and still running strong but with this high miles I don't think I should push my luck any farther. Thanks for any info and greatly appreciated.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:26 PM

Wink

[QUOTE=Gitpik;1238245]I have been offered a deal ($45K plus 14%tax) Canadian on a new, no miles 2006 Dodge 3500 SLT 4x4 Quad Cab diesel, 6 speed manual and loaded with the usuall extras. They tell me it had $1400 hail damage and so they have to sell it as a used vehicle. They didn't offer this hail damage info but after doing many searches on Google I found out and when asked them about it, they said well yes of course didn't one of the salesman tell you ?
My son sell trucks up in Edmonton so I phoned him and he said the best he could do was $56K plus the 7% tax so looks like if I buy this one it would be quite a saving.
Here's the problem, the guy from the USA I found via Google that posted the blog bought the same exact brand new truck somewhere in the US with previous hail damage and started to have serious problems with leaks and the paint job and other things. He contacted the dealer who would do nothing. He then contacted Chrysler and they told him to go to the dealer so now he has had to hire a high price lawyer to try and get it fixed. I don't know how true all this is as I just read it on line.

= Do yourself a favor and stay away from that Truck!! It is not worth the hassle you will be going through in the next couple of months/years!! The only way that I would buy it would be that the Dealer CERTIFY it as used!! That would equal a better Warranty like 7 years 80,000 miles! I would also getin writing that the Paint is/shall/will be covered under Manufacture Warranty like a factory paint job!! I have been there and done this with a 2003 Model QC Hemi------stinks!
Old 12-06-2006, 12:33 AM

one of my trucks had serious hail damage, the pdr bill was almost 2k , have had it for two years now with no paint issues, leaking any of the sort. if your gonna save 11k whats 2-3k of that even if you have to paint it? still ahead 9k
i wouldn't be worried about it, the pdr guy's out there are really talented ( in calgary and area anyway)
Old 12-06-2006, 01:13 AM

My vote would to stay away from the truck like boostjunkie mentioned unless there was dealer warrenty.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:14 AM

When my current rig was 6 wks. old, I had it hailed on to the tune of $3200. They did the PDR method of repair and I was amazed. I couldn't find a wrinkle, paint dimple, nothing. So far no problems. I wouldn't be afraid of that truck. For that much savings, you could always afford to have it repainted down the road.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:55 AM

I bought a hail damaged Nissan Frontier (7mpg towing ) couple of years ago and got a great discount (it was around 12k) as well... On top of the discount, the dealer replaced the hood and "massaged" some of the dents on fenders and bed out before delivery. The catch was that the manufacturer's warranty on all body parts and related items would be void. The drivetrain warranty was still in place and boy did it get used .... the thing was in and out of the shop on monthly basis then I saw the light and bought a Cummins
That's a pretty deep discount they're offering you....negotiate some more and go for it..
btw.. hi, my first post...been lurking since July when I picked up my '05 2500 HD
Old 12-06-2006, 12:30 PM

There is a discount for a reason... If the savings are are worth the POSSIBLE future hassles, then go for it. If you're going lose sleep/ kick the dog over a leaking winshield or paint problem, then buy new.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
45,000 CAD = 39,217.60 USD as of this second (http://www.xe.com/ucc). Doesn't seem like much of a bargain to me! Also, the dealer was not upfront about the hail damage. I would stay away from it and them!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:03 PM

Bought my truck used with hail damage and got a great deal. Never did have it fixed. It doesn't bother me that the hood has some dings on it as my trucks are for work and not show. You can't even see the dings on the cab roof, anyway. I haven't had any paint problems due to the dings. I say buy it and have the PDR done at least on the hood.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:09 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Blast Chamber
Bought my truck used with hail damage and got a great deal. Never did have it fixed. It doesn't bother me that the hood has some dings on it as my trucks are for work and not show. You can't even see the dings on the cab roof, anyway. I haven't had any paint problems due to the dings. I say buy it and have the PDR done at least on the hood.
You will be more likely to not have the paint problems that someone would after having the PDR Done. The metal is flexed after the Hail has hit it, which means that the paint is flexed also. You then take that paint and metal back to as close as you can get it and boy it looks good alright ! In a few years depending on where you live (Temperature Change) the paint WILL eventually start to crack and chip! The Dealer in his case was full of BS to start with and the price is not even close to what he should be buying at with Damage!!! Forget about it and pay the same thing for a new Truck with NO Damage!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:17 PM

Can you buy one in the states
Old 12-06-2006, 08:04 PM

I have a 1991 Dodge diesel 250 that has 244,000 clicks on it and still running strong but with this high miles I don't think I should push my luck any farther. Thanks for any info and greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

thats not that many kms for a cummins it will run stong for a long time yet
Old 12-07-2006, 11:21 AM

With the rebates, markup, holdback, etc... A NEW (2006) truck should be priced at least $8000 below sticker price. For a Hail-damaged truck, you should probably be getting it for 10K to 15K below the sticker price. (US$)
Old 12-07-2006, 12:04 PM

there is no rebates offered in western canada right now except 0%int on 3 yr purchase, and no 06 to be found anywhere, our economy is off the hook right now, and dealers are taking advanatge of that just like everyone else. to give an exaple a house we were going to buy this time last year was 600k, the same house now is way over 1mil!! you guy's may be seeing them but your economy is no where near what we are seeing, unemployment in alberta is below 2%!!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:00 AM

i just bought a BRAND NEW perfect dodge 2500 Laramie J quad short bed msrp = us $45k for $35k. There are dealerships that move these trucks just to boost dealer volume with daimler. Do yourself a favor and get a truck from bob in idaho or abernethy in NC and save yourself a bunch without the hail damage.

Quick Reply: Hail Damaged new 2006