3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Gear Whine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Gear Whine?

I had a conference with the Service Advisor and Service manager and stated that this is not acceptable on a $35K truck and only going to get worse not better. They have decided to order ring and pinion gear and rebuild rearend. I asked them if they needed me to write a letter or make a call to DC in order to help the cause, they stated that wouldn't be necessary.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:45 PM
RHC

Got 4700 miles on mine and this weekend I notice a humm/whine at 55 mph level road,holding speed- change speed (just slight pressure off pedeal) by 1mph lower and it goes away, change speed by 1-2mph higher and it goes away. Sounds like rear-end or tire, not sure which.Barely noticeable at all have to really listen for it. Rear-end fluid level is only about 1/2 to 3/4 inches low from hole.<br><br>Did check tires before weekend trip and front tires had 60psi in them and back tires had 70.5, so i increased front tires to 70.5psi.<br> This was a no-load trip. <br>Does this sound like a diff. problem? ???
Old 07-23-2003, 02:38 PM

Dealer called to let me know the parts are in. I'll let ya'll know how the rebuild goes next week.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:39 PM
RHC

Got 4700 miles on mine and this weekend I notice a humm/whine at 55 mph level road,holding speed- change speed (just slight pressure off pedeal) by 1mph lower and it goes away, change speed by 1-2mph higher and it goes away. Sounds like rear-end or tire, not sure which.Barely noticeable at all have to really listen for it. Rear-end fluid level is only about 1/2 to 3/4 inches low from hole.<br><br>Did check tires before weekend trip and front tires had 60psi in them and back tires had 70.5, so i increased front tires to 70.5psi.<br>This was a no-load trip. <br>Does this sound like a rear-end problem?
Old 08-08-2003, 09:43 AM

I got the truck back from the dealer on Tues, in the shop for 7 working days for rear end rebuild. I was told that new R&amp;P and bearings were installed, but am skeptical on the new R&amp;P. I think that the old gears were probably shimmed. The noise has decreased by about 65% but is still there at around 55 MPH.Service manager states that he can't authorize rear axle replacement without Dodge 's approval so, I will be meeting with an area Dodge rep in app. 10 days to see if they will replace complete axle assy.All of this has taken place at Bill Butler Dodge in Warner Robins Ga.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:40 AM

Keep on'em Jimmy. Don't be satisfied until those rear gears are as quiet as they come from the factory - No whine whatsoever.

If they hemm and haww about it, go for a spin with the service manager in a brand new truck with the radio off, and tell him/her that's how you want your rear gears to sound (silent) - after all, it is a brand new truck.

Old 08-10-2003, 09:57 PM

The hell with the dealership, most of their techs are as bright as a bag of ball peen hammers, just refill the diffs with royal purple or amsoil and never worry about it again! :
Old 08-11-2003, 07:11 AM

I loaded the truck with firewood on Sat and the rear end started raising cane, really getting ticked off about this situation. I'll be going back to Bill Butler Dodge in Warner Robins Ga. for a nice talk with the so called Service manager that can't even authorize installing a new rear end. I refuse to wait until the area rep passes thru to get this resolved.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:32 AM

I had the same problem at 550 miles it was the R&amp;P. I could tell because when you increase speed the whine would start and then back off just a little and it would go away... not bearings they would make the noise all the time. I asked for a new 3ed member.. the Dealer said they only do parts so I got a new R &amp; P. The noise has gone down now but I sure hope it was set-up right for the future..amazing! The Dealer has had my truck almost more than me between the fancy &quot;Security System&quot; Gray Key and the RR
Old 08-13-2003, 10:14 AM

;DLook at this guys
23-016-03 Buzzing Or Vibrating Sound Coming From The Front Of The Vehicle

Date: June 13, 2003

Models: 2003 (DR) Ram Truck

Overview:

This bulletin involves securing an ID plate to the radiator support.

Symptom/Condition:

A buzzing or vibrating sound coming from the front of the vehicle may be present at highway speeds.

Diagnosis/Repair:

Open the hood and inspect the ID plate located on the radiator support (Fig. 1). The ID plate should be attached with four rivets. If there are only two rivets securing the ID plate, the ID plate may be vibrating against the radiator support, perform the Repair Procedure.

Fig. 1 ID PLATE
1 - Body ID Plate

Parts Required: Qty. Part No. Description
2 06035414 Rivet

Repair Procedure:

1. Open the hood and locate the body ID plate.
2. Remove the right headlamp and headlamp bucket.
3. Drill two 1/8 in. holes in the corners of the ID plate which do not have rivets.
4. Install the rivets, p/n 06035414.
5. Install the headlamp bucket and headlamp.
6. Apply touch up paint to the rivets as required.

Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

Time Allowance:

Labor Operation No: Description Amount
23-85-05-90 Install Rivets 0.2 Hrs.

Failure Code:

68 Noisy
Old 09-19-2003, 05:12 AM

You probably have a bad ring and pinion set mine had to be replaced at 2000 miles. Pinion drive bearing could be going also. If so it will only get worse.The whine will become a howl. :'(
Old 09-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Banned

he fluids are not low from the factory....aam says thats how much fluid there needs to be...aam and danas are not the same they dont need the same amount of fluid!~!
Old 09-19-2003, 03:09 PM

I have freind that works as a pts manager for a local dealer and he made the comment that they are having trouble w/ the ring &amp; pinion on the new 03s. Said the had a few bad ones laying around.FWIW

ramguy
Old 09-21-2003, 09:17 PM
abb

Man this is crazy,The dealer rebuilt my R&amp;P replace the bearings and it WAS quiet for about 100 miles,Not anymore. At about 300miles it's almost as loud as ti was when I took it back going to give them a call Monday.This is getting to be a nightmare!!!! Oh it onley has 6000 mles started whining at 800, before quite as a mous ???e

Quick Reply: Gear Whine?