3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

engine hesitation at 2000 rpm! Cummins 600->

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PapaPerk. Turning the key off and on clears the code per another thread on another forum on DTR. If there is indeed a problem the next time the truck bogs, and after you've pulled over, cut the ignition off, press the trip odometer button in and hold it, while you turn the ignition switch to on without starting. The gauges will sweep and the codes will display in the odometer window. Keep us posted.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by natstayl
PapaPerk. Turning the key off and on clears the code per another thread on another forum on DTR. If there is indeed a problem the next time the truck bogs, and after you've pulled over, cut the ignition off, press the trip odometer button in and hold it, while you turn the ignition switch to on without starting. The gauges will sweep and the codes will display in the odometer window. Keep us posted.
i dont think so the only way to clear code is with the scan tool or removing the battery terminals....where did u see this thread?
Old 02-10-2004, 09:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That odometer button thing is ONLY for the codes that are stored in the instrument panel and have nothing to do with the engine. They are two separate sets of codes.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:00 AM

To retrieve engine codes simply cycle the key 3 times without starting...they will flash on the odometer screeb
Old 02-10-2004, 10:25 AM

Ok then. I got it. I was just repeating another contributor. The longer I use the forum, the more I learn. Keep them cards and letters coming. It's good to know there's a difference. 10/4 and over.
Nat
Old 02-10-2004, 11:46 AM

Exclamation Went to the dealer

Well went bright and early to the dealer to have the truck checked. On the way there it would hesitate and puff blue (yes it is certainly blue) smoke on command. It seems to have the problem at exactly where I drive it. Meaning if I bog it, no problem and if I really romp on it there is also no problem. But smooth steady driving it has the problem at around 2000 rpm.

So anyway I drove the truck for the diesel mechanic and he got to witness the behavior for himself. He really had no idea what was causing it but was certain it is not normal. So he called the tech hotline and got an intresting answer. Apparently there is a software problem or something similar involving the injectors. When the injectors go from low flow to higher flow the systems starts going bonkos! Apparently DC is coming out with a software fix for the problem in March. Of course that doesn't help out my truck right now!

The mechanic said he would like to drive a truck like mine to see if it had the problem. Well the dealer didn't think they had one but I found a 2500 with the H.O. and 6 speed. It had the cat so it was the 600. Well we took off in it. Since I am very experianced now in making it run rough I drove. The truck just ran awesome. It was cold and I didn't get on it very much. But I could tell a difference. After it warmed up I made every effort to duplicate the problem and I never succeeded! So that means not all 600s have the problem. At least from what I could tell from my test drive (10 miles). I have to tell you that, that truck really moved out! Mine will move out too when it is not wheezing and belching blue smoke!

So anyway I am still figuring out what I am going to do with this situation. The truck is great other than the miss fire.

I hope those out there that have received 2004.5 600s don't have the same problem. I do not know what would happen if it had an auto. I bet it would run really weird. By the way my truck was made 1/7/2004. So it was one of the first trucks offline with the 600. Oh and today the shop replaced the exhaust clamps because the old ones have questionable welds.

Please be aware that I have no intent in making anyone nervous or second guess buying a truck. I just wanted to share my experiances with everyone. We all gotta stick together.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:53 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the update on this. PLEASE keep us informed as to what happens with this so we will know what to tell anyone else who may experience this problem. Lets hope it isn't a common one either.

I'm surprised on the other hand that it's going to take them that long to get out a fix. Couldn't they put a new computer in it or something to fix it? Since it's not happening to all of them, I would check just to see if it's an option. I'm sure other more technically savvy people then me might have a suggestion.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:23 PM

PapaPerk,
Thanks for keeping us up to date. Since I have one on order, I've been following this and your other threads. I had some trepidation until I went and drove both a manual and auto 325/600 at the local dealer. I couldn't duplicate your problem and they both ran great. Hopefully, they'll get yours straightened out soon. I think your dealer needs to give you a loaner car so your not doing any potential damage to you truck, and it's obviously their fault.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:05 PM

Apparently there is a software problem or something similar involving the injectors
I figured it had to be something like that. Please keep us posted on the fix, PapaPerk.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:40 PM

I ordered my 600 on 12/23/03 recieved it on 2/2/04. The minute I drove it off the lot I noticed a horrible noise from the engine. Sounds like valve pinging. Dealer and others on DTR said was normal. I couldn't accept it so I took it to dealer service center. Mechanic rode with me and said "dang thats bad, how old it this truck, it shouldn't be doing that". The service advisor sent a question to Chrysler about the noise. Chrysler said it is normal. I asked very angrily how the h*** do they know if its normal they haven't even heard it. Took it back today, same answer, well call Chrysler and speak to them directly. Maybe I can call them on my cell and hold the phone out the window while driving. Maybe I'll get lucky and throw a rod through the phone. "Can you hear me now?"

Truck also had the miss you are talking about. They did check that out and found gas in the tank. They didn't want to cover draining the tank but I not so kindly explained that If there was gas in it Dodge or the dealer had to have put it in there as it was doing it when I left the lot.

On top of everything else, it sounds like I have a crop duster sitting in the bed ready to take off when I hit 65 mph

I hope all of this is really just a software problem, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Good luck with your problem I hope you have better luck than I have had.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:16 PM

PapaPerk,
Thanks for the update. Figures it'd end up being a software problem. I hope this doesn't turn into a Ford 6.0l situation, having reflash after reflash and still never solving it. I hope they'll get it rectified quickly and, more importantly, correctly. I also wonder how many engines or configurations this will affect.

stack_climber,
Sorry to hear of all your problems, also. Do you hear the ping-like sound at a certain rpm or all rpms? Only when it's steady or while it's being revved?

Anybody one else that has driven the 600, can you all confirm the pinging-like sound? I also read in another thread that it might be caused by the post injection. Considering that this is the first diesel here in the states that has 3 injection events per cycle (I'm not sure about Volkswagen's TDI though), it might possibly be normal. I don't know.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:22 PM

Doesn't ping in park but when I put it in drive I begin to hear it.
Louder when I step on the gas. Lower at steady speed. I can still hear it at 50, 60, 70, etc... If yours was doing it you would know it. I traded in a 98 1/2 ton 318 with 243,860 original miles. My new diesel sounds worse than the truck I traded. Trust me, it can't be normal.

I didn't know about the 3 injection events though I'm going to have to read more about this engine. Sounds interesting.

Thanks for the input and once again, best of luck to you.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:50 PM

All concerned,

I was surfing the TDR and lo and behold, found a thread about the hesitation.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...threadid=93100

Several people there also say it is a software problem and a fix is coming in the first week of March (fingers crossed).
Old 02-11-2004, 11:01 AM

thanks

jlasich........thanks for mention my problem over at the TDR forum. I do not have membership so I can't post messages.

Sounds like there are many people that have this problem. At least my truck is not the only one. Misery loves company.

Seriously though I hope DC can get this straightened out quickly. It doesn't take much to tarnish the image of a product. Just look what happend to the 6.0 Power Stroke.

On a positive note my truck is perfect in every other way. I have been considering trading it for another. Of course then I may have some other problem.

What really puzzles me is that some trucks have the problem and some do not. My guess is the trucks made at the beginning of Jan had the problem and DC figured out how to fix it. So now the trucks coming out of the factory are good. Like I said before I drove another 600 at the dealer and it ran super! Really had the power and ran like a champ.

I would love to know when the other miss firing trucks were made. Mine was made 1/7/2004.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:20 AM

I wouldn't worry about this being like the 6.0L PSD. That was a whole new engine, EGR, injectors, turbo.

The 600 and 555 aren't that different. There are MANY things in the ECU that affect driveability. Chances are something small isn't right and the reflash will make things better. This stuff is pretty complex.

Quick Reply: engine hesitation at 2000 rpm! Cummins 600->