3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Electro-knob to manual shift 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electro-**** to manual shift 4x4?

How much is involved in converting from the dash **** actuation to floor lever actuation???
Anybody try it?

One of these days I'm gonna try to turn up the fan but throw er in 4lo
Old 09-11-2007, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by DREDnot
How much is involved in converting from the dash **** actuation to floor lever actuation???
Anybody try it?

you can't with the MC, there are HVAC ducts in the way(unless you want to remove them)

the truck will not let you shift to 4low unless you are going below a certain speed (the indicator light flashes but won't shift)
Old 09-11-2007, 08:27 AM

Anybody try it?

That's funny I'm not a fan of my **** controlled 4x4 either.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:51 AM

The **** contoll is ok I just cannot get any kind of billit ***** that will fit it so it matches my fan speed and direction *****.

Pav
Old 09-11-2007, 09:07 AM

Hey DREDnot - I've thought the same thing about flipping into 4wd instead of turning on the fan. I really could see that happening more when driving at night. Actually, I almost did that once, caught myself, but I guess it would have only been into 4-HI at 70 mph!!! While it's location is a convenient place, it does leave that moment where you could make that mistake. The switch needs a safety factor, like push in and turn, something to make it ASK a question about it's use and reduce the risk of error. Just remembering that it COULD happen at least keeps you thinking when wanting to switch on your fan. Guess it could be moved, but that might be a problem too, where would you put it? and, what wiring problems could arise in a re-location? Needs a flip-cover or something?

CD
Old 09-11-2007, 10:21 AM

ive been wondering the same thing. i was used to the shifter on the floor in my jeep. had the electric 4x4 in my blazer and now my truck. im alright with it for now. a buddy of mine brought up a valid point, how often will i seriously be using 4 wheel drive? not much with the truck. so for now, the electronic is suffice. maybe ill take on the switch later on down the road. i thought i read somewhere the electronic 4wheel drive and the manual have 2 different tcases? a 271 and a 273?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:49 AM

Since everything is turning anyway it makes little difference whether its in 4x4 or not. In winter around here most peoples trucks spend lots of time in 4wheel drive on the highway. The only time mine binds is if I have the wheels turned all the way in 4 lo. It wont shift into 4 lo unless you are in neutral anyway.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by paroxysym
thought i read somewhere the electronic 4wheel drive and the manual have different tcases? a 271 and a 273?

Yes they are 2 different case's 271 manual 273 electric
Old 09-11-2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by SSminnow
Yes they are 2 different case's 271 manual 273 electric

Dammit!
That was what I was afraid of.
When I was under there, I noticed a solenoid sticking out underneath.
Maybe I'll swap it with the cubby hole on the other side. Ive read that the wiring harness is about two inches too short to make it a quick and easy.
This would be perfect for Geno's garage to make up a harness extension.

I always told myself I'd never buy a 4x4 that had a non-mechanical selector,but now look at me.

It only happens at night, but I've grabbed that **** more than a dozen times and one of these times I'm gonna turn it
Old 09-11-2007, 12:23 PM

It only happens at night, but I've grabbed that **** more than a dozen times and one of these times I'm gonna turn it

What are you afraid of? If you turn it the computer won't let it go into low gear until you slow to something like 5 mph. I've caught myself doing 80 mph on the freeway in 4-high and just reached up and turned it to 2-high. You're not going to break anything.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:04 PM

yea i believe you cant shift into 4 hi anyway unless you are going under 45 mph. so even if you do turn the **** to 4hi it wont engage at the speed you are doing- it will just blink. lol.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by paroxysym
yea i believe you cant shift into 4 hi anyway unless you are going under 45 mph. so even if you do turn the **** to 4hi it wont engage at the speed you are doing- it will just blink. lol.

Yeha, but can still cause for heart attack
Old 09-11-2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by SSminnow
Yeha, but can still cause for heart attack
lol im sure it can
Old 09-11-2007, 10:49 PM

I've had both the lever on the floor and the **** on the dash. With the lever I found that I had to slow down to around 65 to engage 4 high. I even burned up a syncro tryin to force it on my 99. With the **** Im guilty of reachin for it at 90 (I know I know but its got a warranty!) and its worked well. As far as accidentialy hittn 4 low, you can move the switch to the pass side hole in the dash for out of the way access. Good luck
Old 09-12-2007, 05:50 AM

Be honest it seems like to much work just so you do not turn it by mistake,like a few posted it won't hurt anything.

I am trying to figure out how your grabbing it by mistake,I have to lean forward to reach it in mine and it's a good 4in below the fan controll.

Pav

Quick Reply: Electro-knob to manual shift 4x4?