Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Drone (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/drone-49954/)

NyukX3 08-27-2004 05:09 PM

Drone

I am wits end with my exhaust! I put a new S/S Magnaflow exhaust on and the drone was so bad that it viberated my teeth! :mad:

I then added an Aeroturbine muffler which helped a lot, but I still have a drone.

I am about ready to pull the whole thing off and start over [yuk]

Any suggestions to fix my drone???? :(

Forrest Nearing 08-27-2004 05:13 PM

sound deadener, stiff exhaust hangers, and welded connections. this allowed me to run 5" straight pipe.

Forrest

NyukX3 08-28-2004 12:04 AM

Any other suggestions???:(

Forrest Nearing 08-28-2004 12:56 AM

add another muffler or two

Hannibal 08-28-2004 08:58 AM

After the first time I drove around downtown between buildings with all four windows down, I like the sound and volume of the stock exhaust. It's not too quiet and has a nice authoritive tone bouncing off the sides of buildings. And it's quiet in the cab. I don't tolerate drone too well. I have head in a bucket syndrome alot and a drone gives me a migraine. Probably pollution in the Tampa Bay area...
A neighbor down the street has a 2nd gen dually with straight pipe. It sounds good but with his automatic it doesn't bring about the image of a big rig.

NyukX3 08-30-2004 11:10 AM

Any othe suggestons?? :rolleyes:

jkitterman 08-30-2004 02:23 PM

NyukX3

Any other questions?

How bad was the sound with the stock system? Attempting to put a sound dampening material like Dynamat may help on the passenger side. I know in my 2003 there seems to be a bid difference in the sound level from drivers and passenger perspective. You could also try a header wrap and at worst, cast iron sewer pipe! [laugh]

Forrest Nearing 08-30-2004 10:26 PM

Originally posted by NyukX3
Any othe suggestons?? :rolleyes:
did you add any sound deadener? add any mass to the exhaust pipe? add a muffler or two?

trade it in on a Cadillac?? :confused:

dieselminded 08-30-2004 11:13 PM

Originally posted by jkitterman

How bad was the sound with the stock system? Attempting to put a sound dampening material like Dynamat may help on the passenger side. I know in my 2003 there seems to be a bid difference in the sound level from drivers and passenger perspective. You could also try a header wrap and at worst, cast iron sewer pipe! [laugh] [/B]
EAR PLUGS ?? :D

My strait pipe groans a bit,,,, but I thought that was why I put the strait pipe on.
I like it .If I wanted a quite exh. I'd stayed stock.
put your eco junk back on that'll do it

Delectric 08-31-2004 09:32 AM

How about putting the old system back on and maybe just changing out the muffler? I took the cat off of mine and its sounds much better, and no drone or severe vibration.

NyukX3 09-02-2004 02:01 AM

Delectric......The factory exhaust got pitched at the muffler shop that did the new exhaust install.

My plan is to start over :( with a new exhaust (grrrr$$$$$) I have heard that the Banks system does not have a drone....any comments from my fellow diesel die-hards??

Forrest Nearing 09-02-2004 05:06 AM

it's probably going to sound pretty much the same...

DID YOU TRY ANY OF MY SUGGESTIONS? THEY DO WORK!!!