3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

"DEATH WOBBLE" AGAIN. Whats the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check with four wheel parts or discount tire, I know on my Ford f-350 I needed an adjustable track bar because of my lift so maybe they carry one for the Dodge Ram as well...just a thought.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:51 PM

I'm going to try the new steerig stabilizer and see if that works. If not, the leveling kit and 315's are history. Hope the shop that put the leveling kit on still has the original bracket with the three studs that mounts to the shock tower.....
Old 07-12-2004, 09:48 PM

Do they make a dual stabilizer kit yet for 03's and up?
Old 07-12-2004, 11:24 PM

I too have the 2" (revtek) level and 315's. I have not had this problem. As a matter of fact it is rock steady from 0 to 118 mph.
Above 85 or so it is like it's on rails.

Chrismez... hope you get this worked out!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:22 AM
KCS

I'm new guys, so bear with me a minute. My 2004.5 1ton 4x4 4dr Lbed dualie diesel has had this "death wobble" since I drove it off dealer lot in Avondale,Az, last month. They say they can't recreate the problem!! (I don't believe they even drove it as the mileage difference isn't enough) Truck has less than 2,000m. Also truck has serious vibration problem between 70-80mph. In last 31 days truck has been in dealership 3 days out of each week. They are stumped ( or just stupid). I personnally had driveshafts "straightened & balanced" by Transmission,Axle & Driveline Co. here in North Phoenix (623-869-0510). He said he has been getting "many" driveshafts from valley dealerships for rebalancing issues. He said Mexico's vender tollerance specs are not same as USA requirements and also that the differentials are not Dana units anymore. The "repairs" to my driveshafts took out about 80% of the vibrations, but none of the high speed wobble problem. My wife won't even ride in the truck anymore. (I think she peeed herself the last time). Will try aftermarket steering stabilizer next. Any suggestions as to brand name?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:27 PM

I bought a Procomp stabilizer and will install it today. Hope it works......
Old 07-14-2004, 12:29 PM

I didn't read all of the posts with a magnafier, but I have some thing to add.
Like Eskimo said, the Caster is a big deal and the dual stabelizers are bandaids.

IMHO,
Take the truck to an allignment shop, have them pull the max + number for the caster on the truck. See what yours is. Have them set the caster to the max + number. I set up front axles all the time. I to am into rock crawling and do custom rigs.
What happens on the leveling kist is the track arms get rotated to a higher angle with the added lift. It's a fixed point rotation issue. If you added a longer set of trac arms the problem would go away, but that isn't possible here. The trac bar can sometimes be too short on lifts too. But on a 2" leveling, it's not a problem.

I have 38" tires on my rig and can drive 75 down the hwy with my hands off the wheel and the tires un balanced.
My front ends are set to +5* typically. Anything in the +3 to 0 range is asking for wobble. Anything in the (-) range is big trouble in my book. BTW, + is a rotation backwards of the center lign on the steering knuckles. If you go more that +7, steering get's sluggish.
I also try to have as close to 0 on the toe. I know a lot of guys like a bit of toe in for hwy use, I guess it is supposed to help in the "sudden lane change" issues. I don't worry much about that, so I don't keep up on that info.

I think you will save a ton of money and aggravation if you just do the allignment route. I know, the dual stabilizers look cool....... But, fix the problem and you will be happier.

Greg

PS, I don't have any wobbles to 118mph either, it drives likke a caddy.....
Old 07-14-2004, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the info, i will go again to the alignment shop and get it checked out. i really don't want to go back to the stock tires, so i hope this works.......
Old 07-15-2004, 07:29 PM

Alright, I went to the alignment shop today and got the truck realigned. Had the guy set the caster at +6 percent and he brought the tow in to 0. I am going by info given to me by others. Will install the new steering stabilizer tomorrow as well and hopefully the problem will be fixed.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by chrismez
I'm going to try the new steerig stabilizer and see if that works. If not, the leveling kit and 315's are history. Hope the shop that put the leveling kit on still has the original bracket with the three studs that mounts to the shock tower.....
Don't count on it...................
Old 07-15-2004, 08:14 PM

Hope you find the solution...................................
Old 07-16-2004, 07:55 AM

Had mine done is spring after plowing all winter. I checked the spec's on my printout last night and mine is set to 4.59 and it is TOWED in. I have no issues at all with the wobble. I think the root problem is those blocks rotating the axle downward out of spec. Just my .02
Old 07-19-2004, 04:51 PM

Well. adios to the leveling kit anf 315's. i just can't get the death wobble to go away. i have tried everything and now its time to say goodbye. I appreciate all the imput in trying to solve the problem. With the kit and tires I feel every bump through steering wheel and I just hate it. Anyone in the the L.A area interested in some slightly used 315's and a leveling kit, let me know. It will all be off by this weekend........
Old 07-19-2004, 05:32 PM

With the kit and tires I feel every bump through steering wheel and I just hate it.

I was just reading this and realized that a 2" leveling kit is just a spacer that fits on top the spring. How could it make your truck ride rough, the same springs. Do you have your tires over inflated?? 80 psi is way too much for an empty truck. If the alignment is correct and nothing loose you shouldn't have DW. 2" isn't much lift!

DW is when the front wheels vibrate back/forth so bad that you can't hold the wheel and have to practically stop to get it to quit.

Bad wheel balance would shake more the faster you go. Not even close to DW

Sure you have DW or bad tire balance?
Old 07-19-2004, 06:14 PM

Try removing the leveling kit, leave the 315's on, and see what happens. A co-worker and I each put 315's on our trucks, he installed a leveling kit, I didn't, he gets an occasional wobble, I don't.

Quick Reply: "DEATH WOBBLE" AGAIN. Whats the deal?