3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer and the 48re

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer and the 48re

I just had my 60K tranny service done at the dealership. I mostly wanted them to do it because of all the talk about the 48RE being weak. I figure if there is ever a problem they’ll have done all the service. Anyhow, after it was done the service writer told me that the tech tightened the band as tight as it could go and it was not good that there was not additional room for future tightening. He wants me to come in and have my transmission rebuilt before I hit 70K, on Dodge’s dime except for the $100 deductible. My question is this. Does this all seem a little weird? I mean the tranny shifts fine. Why would the writer want to volunteer this warranty work?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:38 PM

How would he know if he tightend it all the way hmm unless he could see the meat left on the band this does not make sence to me. I guess if the threads bottomed out then maybe that would be a indicator but man that is alot of threads. I dont know but if you can make them replace the tc while there at it might not be a bad deal, would like to have had someone freshen my trans up for 100 bucks lol. Maybe you can get them to toss in a after market converter if u buy it
Old 03-01-2008, 03:48 PM

Slip the tech a little extra. I have seen many KD bands with the adjustment screw down in the lock nut.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:11 PM

First the 48re is not considered weak.Holds up as good or better then the other"two' manufactures autos.Torque convertor is sloppy for some reason and has been for years.Anyhow if I'm not mistaken the band adjust is done by loosening a ban and tightening down with a inch pound torque wrench.The other band is done similiar or by a count of thread turns.Most bands under normal usage will never need a adjustment.I would ask to speak to the tech and find out exactly what he noticed and explain such to you.Use the SEARCH function on this forum I'm sure lots of discussion on ban adjustment.Bands is not normaly a failure prone area in these trannys.In fact do a search BAND ADJUST and about the 3rd one down explains how to do a band adjust.The answer you got/gave is not a plausable answer.You need more info.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:26 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed, Hounddog! Hey.......is there an issue with the D button on your keyboard though? ! ?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:32 PM

Thats lot of Ds isn't it. I'm still blameing it on chemo brain.I'm better but still not all the way right yet.I get kinda trapped in thoughts and can't go forward or backwards.Hard to explain.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:34 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks much better now! LOL
Old 03-01-2008, 05:08 PM

My guess is the dealership is slow, as many are right now, and there looking to drum up some good work for there service techs. Probably figured you wouldn't care cause it's paid for under warranty.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:01 PM

If they do it you should make sure they replace all internal wear parts. CLutches bands seals everything, if not then its not even worth cracking it open. I have not seen alot of trans maybe 20-30 and never seen one adjusted that far. Even in my old trans when I burned the band out, burned everything out lol. It would still tighten down and just go into the nut, hope he remeberd to back it out the 2.5 or 3 turns depending on the band.

I would ask to see everything that comes out of the inside, most places dont care.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mark03Ram
If they do it you should make sure they replace all internal wear parts. CLutches bands seals everything, if not then its not even worth cracking it open. I have not seen alot of trans maybe 20-30 and never seen one adjusted that far. Even in my old trans when I burned the band out, burned everything out lol. It would still tighten down and just go into the nut, hope he remeberd to back it out the 2.5 or 3 turns depending on the band.

I would ask to see everything that comes out of the inside, most places dont care.
I will say that this is a pretty tempting offer. If I could be sure they did all this work and could get an aftermarket TC and VB installed to boot I may just have to take them up on the offer.

One of my other concerns is that they might want to charge me once they look a little closer at my tires or see my edge box. I guess I'll wait till my next oil change to decide as I'd still be under 70K.

If anybody else has an opinion let me hear it.
TIA
Old 03-02-2008, 03:04 AM

It would be far fetched for them to go into it under warranty and change their minds.They are the ones that offered.You need to talk to the tech.I think I'd come up with my own valve body and torque convertor.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:34 PM

I just had my tranny overhauled on the dealerships dime because according to them the TC crapped out and took out the rest of the trans. They had just done the TSB for the 1-2 shuttle shift two weeks before and it still wasn't right. I took it back and they told me it was toast. They told me it was the TC but the service sheet they gave me said the front band was burnt and loose even after it just got adjusted. My trans didn't slip, it just wasn't right, but their tech said it slipped between 1 and 2. I asked if I could provide a TC and VB for them to intall instead of the stock stuff and they said sure, but there will be no warrenty. I figured if I did give them the parts they would just put them in the bad trans and let me dirve it off the lot with no warrenty and a bad trans with a new TC and VB. Needless to stay it went back to stock with a new TC and all new internals according to their service sheet. I still don't think it's right, but time will tell. Oh and for the record all this happened right at 32k.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
First the 48re is not considered weak.Holds up as good or better then the other"two' manufactures autos.Torque convertor is sloppy for some reason and has been for years.Anyhow if I'm not mistaken the band adjust is done by loosening a ban and tightening down with a inch pound torque wrench.The other band is done similiar or by a count of thread turns.Most bands under normal usage will never need a adjustment.I would ask to speak to the tech and find out exactly what he noticed and explain such to you.Use the SEARCH function on this forum I'm sure lots of discussion on ban adjustment.Bands is not normaly a failure prone area in these trannys.In fact do a search BAND ADJUST and about the 3rd one down explains how to do a band adjust.The answer you got/gave is not a plausable answer.You need more info.
Sure, thats why there are so many duramax guys guys swapping in the 48re. Hey to each their own.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:45 AM

I wouldn't be suspicous of their motives. I've had good dealers off me similar deals. If they can legitimately warranty the work, then I believe they still make money and get paid by Dodge.

Peter
Old 03-03-2008, 03:44 PM

Couple years ago one of the reports eaither by JD Powers or such had the 48RE with the least amount of warranty claims of the big three with diesel.Not a bad track record.For reading these forums that built right the 48re can manage to survive massive amounts of torque.The swapping in a Allision in place of the 48re seems to have sunk like the Titanic.With some of the mods on YOUR truck when you break that G56 what are going to do? Can't mod it.But you can put a built 48RE in it.But to each their own.

Quick Reply: Dealer and the 48re