Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Compareing injector pumps (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/compareing-injector-pumps-125001/)

GSP 11-22-2006 07:43 PM

Compareing injector pumps

I have a 99 with a vp 44. What injector pump is in the new trucks?

How about the chevy Duramax, does it have a bosch pump just like or simular to what the newer dodge has?

Reason I ask is , on another forum some know-it-all says the duramax and dodge have the same bosch injector pump

bluebull 11-22-2006 08:14 PM

Pretty much the same CP3 in both trucks. Ours use a lift pump for primeing the fuel filter after change out, the Duramax use a bulb type primer. Our trucks will die if the lift pump dies because of fuel restriction caused by lift pump.

GSP 11-22-2006 09:24 PM

So do those CP3's not realy need a lift pump like our vp44 do to keep them lubed with inlet fuel pressure?

Also are you newer truck guys running a fuel lube like powerservice, stanadyne or 2 stroke oil to keep the CP3 and valves lubed like us vp44 guys are?

Or does the CP3 not have a lube and wear and die problem like the vp44

FMB 11-22-2006 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by GSP (Post 1220191)
So do those CP3's not realy need a lift pump like our vp44 do to keep them lubed with inlet fuel pressure?

Also are you newer truck guys running a fuel lube like powerservice, stanadyne or 2 stroke oil to keep the CP3 and valves lubed like us vp44 guys are?

Or does the CP3 not have a lube and wear and die problem like the vp44

In order.... I dunno .... Oh, yeah, Stanadyne here... It sure does have the lube issue, lose your lift pump and your CP3 soon follows.

bluebull 11-23-2006 07:35 AM

It's not so much a lube problem, the early CP3's had gaskets in the wrong place. Bosch has corrected that on the later models, I think some where around mid 05 models, so any truck built in the 05 model year and older could be susceptable.

bluebull 11-23-2006 07:39 AM

The cp3 will run just as long and as well without a lift pump as the cp3 on a duramax. When the lift pump dies on a dodge it causes too much restriction and starves the engine of fuel so it quits running. If you removed the lift pump and could get prime the truck would run again. Never experienced this, just going off of what I have been told, and read.

duratothemax 11-24-2006 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by GSP (Post 1220025)
Reason I ask is , on another forum some know-it-all says the duramax and dodge have the same bosch injector pump

hes right [coffee]

CR cummins CP3 just has the outlet tube in a slightly different location I beleive than a dmax CP3. Otherwise they are more or less quite similar.