3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Chronic Brake squealing during braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chronic Brake squealing during braking

My truck is a Standard cab (long bed) Brakes have squealed since I brought it home. Pads have meat on them and rotors look clean. If I get on the brakes they dont squeal. but the sufficient braking to stop at stop signs or while creeping forward they squeal and chirp like nails on a chalk board.

I have a friend with an almost identicle 2005 standard cab 2500 and his squeal too. He blames "brake dust" but he washed them out and they still squeal, his has new pads and rotors on all four.

I dont seem to have to touch the brakes much to get alot of brake force and rarley push very hard at all even on harder stops they seem to grab very well.

Is the lighter pedal force a problem (aka they grab so well im not actually using them to their spec)? Is the proportional valve an issue on these trucks causing one side to be lighter than the other and letting the pads drag?

I never hear the quad cabs or megacabs in town squeal at all, is because my truck is lighter?

I am going to go look for the quietest pads I can buy at the local oreileys, but was wondering if any of you have dealt with or know about this issue.

Thanks.

DC
Old 04-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
My 96 squealed like that after getting them hot going up and down hills in San Francisco. The pads were glazed and once I changed pads it went away.

I also fixed an issue where the calipers didn't want to release properly by replacing the rubber hoses to the brakes. Most people neglect these when doing brake jobs but they will rot on the inside and act like a valve by only allowing the fluid to pass through under pressure when pushing on the pedal.......something else to think about.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:20 PM

Location: Frozen Northern Minnesota, Darn Close To Where Perma-Frost Begins...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never had a squealing problem with this '03 except one time. Trying to be thrifty (aka cheap), I replaced the pads with the Mopar value line pads. Backing it out of the barn and turning it around it started to chirp. Around the long block back home, squeal. Took the pads out, installed Mopar premium line and returned the value's. Even the parts guy said they had issue with the Mopar value lines. With all my past dodge trucks and cars, I've never had good success with after market pads, shoes, drums, rotors or calipers. Always was some issue that wouldn't go away.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Disc brake squeal is usually caused by the outboard pad vibrating in the caliper. It's a fairly easy fix.

Remove the outboard brake pad, and clean the back of the pad and the contact area of the caliper really well. Use a wire brush and get all the loose scale and rust off. Use some brake parts cleaner to get all oil and grease off.

Apply a small amount of Disc Brake Anti-Squeal (kind of like glue) to the contact area. Re-assemble, and lightly apply the brake. Just enough to set the pads in place. Leave it set over night.

That usually fixes it.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if calpers or draging could cause squeal. pads glaze could cause the problem.