3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Axle joint vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle joint vibration?

I have a problem that has been bugging me to death for some time now, a vibration. I thought it was my BFG KM2's as they were not smooth ever since I put them on. I had since had them balanced many times and added centramatics but still had a vibration at 55-60. Just thought it was the tires. To get rid of the vibration I recently bought a set of Bridgestone Dueler REVO's in 285 LRE and much to my disappointment the vibration in still there at the same speeds. I thought it was the tires still or even a rim so I took it back and had them rebalanced (roadforced) and they are basically perfect on the roadforce. So I am leaning toward it not being the tires. Its a vibration through the seat and body not through the wheel and no matter how I have the tires rotated it is basically the same. I have replaced all the u joints an the driveshafts and it is unchanged. I was told at the shop that replaced the tires that one of the front axle joints was bad and needed to be replaced. My question is can an axle joint feel like a un balanced tire? The vibe im getting is more of a tire frequency vibration and not a higher frequency vibration like a U-joint. I know that feeling i have replaced many. Any thoughts or things you can point me to looking at would be much appriciated. Oh and the vibe occurs over a wider range of speeds in four wheel drive but is still at its worst at 55-60.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:08 AM

I have had a similar problem with my 2004.5,it appears to come from the front axle area.
I have the vibration worst at about 25 to 30 MPH.
I thought it was a tire or wheel, moved them to the back, no difference, also had them balanced.

Changed both front universal joints, new top and bottom ball joints both sides and the right front bearing/hub assembly. No difference. Replaced all the drive shaft universal joints.. no difference.

Finally took it to the dealer, they admitted they had no real idea of the problem, but they would try to balance the drive shaft by randomly putting on washers with pipe clamps. By doing this they could change the MPH readings that the vibration came and went, but it was still there.

I might take the whole drive shaft assembly out and have it balanced at a heavy truck shop to see if it makes any difference.
I could probably drive the truck for years and not hurt anything but I dont like to feel the vibration.

I also tried all the usual, coast in neutral, in gear out of gear, rev engine de rev etc etc and vibrations still there...

Soon there wont be many parts to replace.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Pikeman
I have a problem that has been bugging me to death for some time now, a vibration. I thought it was my BFG KM2's as they were not smooth ever since I put them on. I had since had them balanced many times and added centramatics but still had a vibration at 55-60. Just thought it was the tires. To get rid of the vibration I recently bought a set of Bridgestone Dueler REVO's in 285 LRE and much to my disappointment the vibration in still there at the same speeds. I thought it was the tires still or even a rim so I took it back and had them rebalanced (roadforced) and they are basically perfect on the roadforce. So I am leaning toward it not being the tires. Its a vibration through the seat and body not through the wheel and no matter how I have the tires rotated it is basically the same. I have replaced all the u joints an the driveshafts and it is unchanged. I was told at the shop that replaced the tires that one of the front axle joints was bad and needed to be replaced. My question is can an axle joint feel like a un balanced tire? The vibe im getting is more of a tire frequency vibration and not a higher frequency vibration like a U-joint. I know that feeling i have replaced many. Any thoughts or things you can point me to looking at would be much appriciated. Oh and the vibe occurs over a wider range of speeds in four wheel drive but is still at its worst at 55-60.
I am suspecting you have a long bed truck with a carrier bearing in the drive shaft.This is proberly where your problem is. I changed mine to a one piece drive shaft and presto no more vibrations.I got rid of vibrations I did not know I had. Its like a different truck really smooth at all speeds. Call Rich at "Doghouse Diesel performance" he can hook you up with the correct driveshaft..
Old 04-01-2010, 06:47 AM

Well I have a vibration at 65+ that I thought was a u-joint. Well new u-joints on the rear drive shaft and still vibration. I will be getting the tires rebalanced soon!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:02 AM

mine shakes at 65 to 70 mph,ive done the balance thing also,changed the axle joints,front drive shaft,bearing assm,but mine is a short bed,my rear driveshaft seems tight, mine feels like a wheel hop
Old 04-01-2010, 03:58 PM

Man mine is a short bed so it has a one piece drive shaft in the rear. Guess ill replace the axle joints and see if that helps. Things like this make me want to sell the truck. When I take it to the shop they say tires when I take it to the tire shop they say they are great.