3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

#4 leaky fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#4 leaky fuel line

Search function doesn't appear to be working currently (only gets me a blank white page) so i will have to ask a probably already discussed issue.

Whats the story on the seemingly common leak at the #4 high pressure line ? Dealer stocks 3 of them, and was very familiar with having them leak.

Im thinking of carrying a spare in the truck, but is there a better option before i buy an OEM line.

'04.5 H.O.

thanks in advance.
Tori
Old 01-11-2012, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's the #4 injector line that cracks going into the common rail. Mine cracked right at 45K.
I carry a spare now....easy fix if you have the part. If not, your "up the creek" till you can replace it. I would just get a spare for good measure...
If you get your search option to work you will find this is a common problem, (can't believe this was never a recall).
Old 01-11-2012, 04:19 PM

I did find another (i think yours) post that dealt with this failure. I will for sure be buying and carrying a spare. Just want to know if buying OEM again is the way, or if someone has made an upgrade.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I believe it's more related to loose isolators allowing it to flex/vibrate to the point of failure rather than the tube itself being weak.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 PM

So do the others do the same thing ? I'd believe that if the other lines failed too, but why would only the #4 isolator come loose ?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Bolt isn't torqued properly, or engine harmonics cause it to come loose.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tori
I did find another (i think yours) post that dealt with this failure. I will for sure be buying and carrying a spare. Just want to know if buying OEM again is the way, or if someone has made an upgrade.
My repair was made by the dealership closest to my breakdown (OEM part). the spare I have is from a local cummins shop (proabbly the same exact part number). I agree with these past post...either not properly torqued and extreme vibration (if you look at that #4 line, it's got an intresting twist/turn to it by design.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by steelblitzkrieg
I believe it's more related to loose isolators allowing it to flex/vibrate to the point of failure rather than the tube itself being weak.
x2 on this^^^ I check all 6 clamps at every oil change interval and tighten if needed. 120k miles and all is well.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:43 PM

so i take it you have found them loose ?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ssandlin
x2 on this^^^ I check all 6 clamps at every oil change interval and tighten if needed. 120k miles and all is well.
Good point (and practice)...that said, you familiar with a solid torque (lbs) for these lines?
Didn't know if it is just a good "hand tighten" or preffered torque?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:33 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I forget exactly what the torque is off the top of my head... But it is important the torque be right. Overtightening leads to bad threads and possibly an incorrect seal. It is even more important that the crossover tubes to the injectors be torqued correctly.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Tori
Search function doesn't appear to be working currently (only gets me a blank white page) so i will have to ask a probably already discussed issue.

Whats the story on the seemingly common leak at the #4 high pressure line ? Dealer stocks 3 of them, and was very familiar with having them leak.

Im thinking of carrying a spare in the truck, but is there a better option before i buy an OEM line.

'04.5 H.O.

thanks in advance.
Tori
-------------------
Tori:

Yes, the #4 injector lines on the CR Dodge Pickups have been very troublesome for the reasons stated by our great members here. I have also replaced mine but there was really nothing wrong with it. My Dodge Tech also said that the #6 injector line also has been cracking on alot of the trucks he sees, so I replaced that one too! And like other members here, I also carry spares.

---------
John_P
Old 01-12-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
-------------------
Tori:

Yes, the #4 injector lines on the CR Dodge Pickups have been very troublesome for the reasons stated by our great members here. I have also replaced mine but there was really nothing wrong with it. My Dodge Tech also said that the #6 injector line also has been cracking on alot of the trucks he sees, so I replaced that one too! And like other members here, I also carry spares.

---------
John_P
Thanks for the tips soulezoo & JohnP...i'll keep my eye out for that suggested torque and will pick up a #6 spare. Again, from experience...it is SUPER frustrating when something as simple as this can leave you stranded!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by cstewart
Good point (and practice)...that said, you familiar with a solid torque (lbs) for these lines?
Didn't know if it is just a good "hand tighten" or preffered torque?
Right or wrong, I just make sure they're good and snug. As said, it's worked so far at 120K miles with no issues.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:14 PM

When I first heard about this problem,I took a 10mm wrench and checked them all and they were loose.I too check them at oil changes.
This is a great site for information!

Quick Reply: #4 leaky fuel line