3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

***ALERT/Check Rear Axle Lube Level

Old 11-03-2002, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:***ALERT/Check Rear Axle Lube Level

When I checked mine I smelled it, IT SURE AIN'T DINO STUFF! Came from factory that way.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:31 AM

Idon't think its the synthetic part that smells, I think all GL5 stinks pretty good (bad?).
Old 11-04-2002, 08:30 PM

Please check your rear axle lubricant level. Wantabee Didn't have any rear axle lube and Bulabula and I both found our rear axle lubricants low. If low go to your dealer for a warranty fill as it was supposed to be filled before delivery, synthetic GL-5 SAE 75W-90. There should be no charge for fill. :-[
Old 11-08-2002, 03:40 AM

<br>Took mine back to the dealer and had him check all the fluid levels plus do the recall on the fan blade nut. Well low and behold the rear diff was 1 litre low, everything else checked out okay. Had them document the low oil condition on the work order just incase we have future problems.<br> Thanks for the heads up! Pete
Old 11-08-2002, 09:01 AM

[quote author=Sierra Phil link=board=20;threadid=6512;start=15#61983 date=1036463455]<br>Please check your rear axle lubricant level. Wantabee Didn't have any rear axle lube <br>[/quote]<br><br>Just wanted to say that Wantabee DID have rear axle lube, atleast some, and it was a bearing that failed. Just didn't want people to panic too much.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:31 PM
Chapter President

Just checked mine today, seems to be around an inch below the plug. Have we all decided this is where it needs to be? or is it a 1/4 inch, like the owners manual says? [undecided]<br><br> Cat Cracker.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:24 PM

I would say an inch below fill hole is minimum level until you receive an official notice in writing from D-C anything below the level in the Owner's Manual could cause warranty problems. I have in previous received a card in the mail giving corrections to owner's manual. I'never heard of an axle failure from too much lube. Have you?
Old 11-08-2002, 10:45 PM
Chapter President

I've never heard of an axle failure due to overfilling. I've heard of blowing an axle seals for overfilling. <br><br> CC
Old 11-09-2002, 06:28 AM

Bearing failures bring into play another manufacturer, that of the bearing. Was the bearing defective. I am sure the bearing fragments they have found will go to a metalurgist for analysis and testing. I have heard of a bearing race being cracked while being installed. In that case the failure was shortly after being put into service as in Wantabee's case. ???
Old 11-11-2002, 10:34 PM

:-[
[undecided]
&gt;

Talked with Service adviser today about Rear Axle Noise. He said they want to take care of the problem now, not wait for it to become more serious. Mentioned Wantabee's plight. Tomorrow at 8:00 am they are to determine the extent of damage and parts that need to be replaced.

I sure hope there will not be a problem getting parts. If it is just bearings and seals all of those are usually standard items. I will keep you posted with any developments.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:41 PM

Sittin here waitin for a call/report from service manager as to what parts need to be transplanted into my baby's rear end. ???
Old 11-25-2002, 11:31 PM

We knew this at DTR in October!
It's about time. One of those &quot;Silent Recalls&quot;.

converteddzlr

Edmonton, Alberta

Re:****Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant
« Reply #79 on: Today at 01:06:02pm »
&quot;Just got back from picking up my new '3 2500 and the dealer said that they had received notification that a certain batch of vehicles needed to be checked at the rear axle for proper fill level AND to ensure that synthetic was in place.&quot;

Old 11-27-2002, 07:42 PM

Sorry that it has taken me so long to reply, but I only work 3 days a week....... <br>Here in Canada we regularly get &quot;Tech-Tips&quot; from Dealer Technical Support. I do not know if this applies in the USA but have your Service Manager look at Tech-Tip #34. It is the one that specifies the axle lube levels right from Mother Mopar.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:09 PM

Dealer has all the parts, entire innards, seals, bearings, and gears, for transplant into my rear axle on Monday after holiday.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:51 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Are we an anxious parent, or what? <br><br>This is so funny - - how can adults be so silly about a mundane thingy like a truck. Are we nuts or going back to our childhood? I read our posts and really have to giggle. The CFO thinks we are all crazee. Then, I remind her about some silly little thingy she gets all excited about and she then leaves off with all the ribbing. <br><br>Hey, we will await the report on the test drive - - good luck.<br><br>Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ***ALERT/Check Rear Axle Lube Level