3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Electrical issues? Help/Input please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Electrical issues? Help/Input please.

So my truck was sitting for 5 days, went to start it. Battery didn't have quite enough juice to turn it over. Got a jump, and it started. However the engine seems to be stuttering while it's in idle but runs fine when on the road. Also noticed my Stereo deck used to shut off automatically when you opened the door with the key off. It has decided to stay on till i manually turn it off. Wondering if it's a battery issue? or maybe some sort of relay stuck on?

I also recently installed a tailgate lock, which hooks on to the door locks for keyless entry. Has been working fine for the past couple weeks, don't know why it would be an issue now.

Thanks for any input on the matter. I am working out in the bush and cant get it to a shop quite yet.

Cheers!
Old 06-28-2014, 02:17 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Most likely set some codes because of low volts, clear codes first, get some new batteries installed and go from there.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:22 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2014, 04:44 PM

Maybe, just maybe the latch lock, which is hooked up to the tailgate is putting a draw on the system. It sounds like it may be wired incorrectly or could be a faulty latch because your radio is not recognizing that your door is open, which is causing it to stay on (even though I'm assuming it shuts off after a few minutes if not manually turned off). I would try to do a draw test on it with charged batteries over a couple days, if you notice a drop in voltage, disconnect your latch lock from the point of where it was spliced Into your door locks and try again. It may have just taken a few days to draw both batteries down. Electrical is fun! Good luck brother!
Old 08-15-2014, 10:40 AM

Turned out to be my alternator starting to go. Got a new one and two new Batteries. Fires up no problem now!

Thank again guys.

I do have another problem though. My highbeams are stuck on all the time while the truck is in gear. Regardless on the indicator on the dash. They are aftermarket HID's. Any ideas?? Thanks!
Old 08-25-2014, 12:43 PM

reverse the wires from the bulbs on your HID kit....