3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

reflash now poor mpg

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reflash now poor mpg

i had the dealer relash for white smoke at start up also put on 33's and they reflashed for that to.

Sice then i've lost 4 to 5 mpg. is it possible the latest reflashes did this? If so can they put it back to the old mpg?

On the other hand i was at dealer today to have them h/u a computer pilot so i can take snap shots of what the engine and tranny are doing underload {climbing the 6% grade that has me slowing down to 45mph. {stock truck should still pull better then this even with my 105k toyhauler.

mods are not an option at this point { I will not void my warranty} SO either i bought the wrong truck & No one can find the problem yet!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm getting pretty frustrated. Should i have bought the duramax? I hope not I love the cummins but this is getting old!
Old 07-13-2005, 11:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: reflash now poor mpg

wow thats heavy and you still go 45mph?
. {stock truck should still pull better then this even with my 105k toyhauler.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First thing I would do from a diag standpoint is to ditch the show pony tires and put the stock rim/tire combo on.

Fill in your signature so we know whatcha got! Also, what gears you have (tag in the glovebox will tell that). From the sounds of the "white smoke at start up" I assume you have an 03 up common rail truck.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:13 AM

Re: Re: reflash now poor mpg

Originally posted by rebal
wow thats heavy and you still go 45mph?
It's heavy but it's still under the tow limit.and you can't tell me that every truck that goes by me has mods. I seriously caused a traffic jam in that lane. Something is wrong and no one can find out what it is. The dealer at one point told me thats all the truck can do, {BS} no way i've heard to many people tell me that there trucks pull simalar weight/ grade and they can at least do the speedlimit.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:34 AM

I would love to see what a stock tire would do. Whether it's the cause of the prob or not, you have basically "de-tuned" your towing capability by putting that tall of tire on, especially with a 3.7 gear.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by J BODY
I would love to see what a stock tire would do. Whether it's the cause of the prob or not, you have basically "de-tuned" your towing capability by putting that tall of tire on, especially with a 3.7 gear.
I had towed same hill same toyhauler with old stock tires no difference. I can't see 2" taller making that drastic of a difference. but since it towed the same with stock or 33/s that should be out of the equasion.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:37 AM

I dont think the tires are your problem. I've got 35's and tow 16K and 70 no problem.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:10 AM

I'm no expert but sounds like your not getting air. Check those tubes. It happened to me once and I lost lots of power.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by buntina
I'm no expert but sounds like your not getting air. Check those tubes. It happened to me once and I lost lots of power.
I checked tubes this morning, I don't see anything wrong. filters have been changed air,oil & fuel, tried different fuel station. I just don't know? I called cummins they said DC won't even let them do anything to this year truck. So what am i suppose to do Drive this fuel hog, weak powered up grades, for the life of the truck? I'm trying to be patient and give the dealer some time to find/fix. It seems like i'm starting to spend quite the time at the dealer.

Must say sorry to those of you reading my posts I'm venting on this forum & shouldn't be.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by 95ram
I dont think the tires are your problem. I've got 35's and tow 16K and 70 no problem.
.....we're talking up a 6% grade here 95 Ram.

Is the trailer a tag or fifth wheel? What stretch of highway are you pulling up (trying to get a mental picture here). We have 6% grades to the east and west and honestly I'm not sure that your "problem" sounds too far out of the norm. Now if we could just find a Phoenix area member with a similar equipped truck to pull your trailer. It would be nice to see an "apples to apples" comparison.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:38 PM

Is the trailer a tag or fifth wheel? What stretch of highway are you pulling up (trying to get a mental picture here). We have 6% grades to the east and west and honestly I'm not sure that your "problem" sounds too far out of the norm. Now if we could just find a Phoenix area member with a similar equipped truck to pull your trailer. It would be nice to see an "apples to apples" comparison.
The trailer is a tag along pulling up I-17 north of phoenix to flagstaff 2 hills suset point and camp verde both 6% grade. Phoenix person wo would pull my trailer that's stock i would obviously pay for the fuel and lunch ;}
Old 07-15-2005, 12:01 AM

That's the route I kind of had in mind. Long ugly pull this time of year.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:06 AM

Negative, it's a 2004 ho
Old 07-15-2005, 08:33 AM

I cant say about the alleged lack of power thing,but I got my truck re-flashed to fix the transmission T/C prob and lost an immediate 3 MPG! This is measured by gallons used divided by actual mileage,not the overhead readout thing.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by slayerfish
I cant say about the alleged lack of power thing,but I got my truck re-flashed to fix the transmission T/C prob and lost an immediate 3 MPG! This is measured by gallons used divided by actual mileage,not the overhead readout thing.
.....if you are refering to your 99 they most likely flashed your ecm as well as your jtec controller to result in an mpg loss. 98-99 were underpowered in OD/lockup to help save the trans, which resulted in poor towing power. The flash to the ECM gave OD/lockup the same fueling as 3rd for better towing power. More power, more fuel. That's far enough off topic, lets keep this third gen topic on a third gen truck.

Quick Reply: reflash now poor mpg