3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Power Steering Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Power Steering Pump Replacement

I'm getting ready to replace my power steering pump again. The one I got from rock auto failed in under 6 months . I have a few questions that I need help with.

1. What is the difference between the ZF pumps and non-ZF pumps?

2. Where can I get the high pressure hose that goes from the pump to the hydroboost? I can only find the one that goes from hydroboost to gear through any parts dealers.

3. Is there a rebuild kit for these pumps that I can buy and rebuild them myself?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these items.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have some of the same questions. On my 4th pump now, 104k mi on the truck.
Couple things I "think" I know.
All the re-man pumps are A1Cardone. I've bought from Napa and Oreillys and they are the same mfr. Luck of the draw on how long they last, I think. OE pump lasted the longest at about 60k mi (then 40k, 3k and just installed). 2 pumps ago, I installed a filter on the return line. With new juice in the system, the pump failed in about 2000mi, fluid good, filter clean.
Looked at a new pump from the dealer again. What used to be a $300 part is now a $800 part and supposedly completely redesigned. I can replace alot of pumps for $800 though, eff that.
Haven't needed one yet, but noticed the same. Parts stores only sell one of the hp lines. Haven't seen a rebuild kit offered anywhere. I think the difference between ZF and non ZF pumps is they have a different housing thus different mounting bracket. There appears to be many different pump styles/revisions but I dunno. The ones I get form the parts stores are always the correct one and the ONLY type they have available or in stock.
I have a buddy that is an engr for ZF. I will look into this.
Bottom line they are the littlest crappiest pumps ever for a HD pickup.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ok, I'm on my 3rd pump now and this one was working fine but is now leaking. One before that just up and failed after 2-3k miles. I'm thinking about modding the reservoir with an air check valve that will bleed off excessive pressure but will not let water or other contaminates into the reservoir. I'm thinking this may stop the over pressure issue which leads to them leaking? Anyone have any thoughts on if this would work?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dunno, but the one that was going bad 6 months ago now has another 5k miles on it and once in a while it will groan a little but seems to be hanging in there.
Also developed a small leak, like dozen drops on the floor over the course of a few weeks, which after runnin the crap out of it for a week straight seems to have healed up.

Still would like to know where to find parts like a pulley or high pressure hoses befor ethe inevitable happens.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by masterphreak
Ok, I'm on my 3rd pump now and this one was working fine but is now leaking. One before that just up and failed after 2-3k miles. I'm thinking about modding the reservoir with an air check valve that will bleed off excessive pressure but will not let water or other contaminates into the reservoir. I'm thinking this may stop the over pressure issue which leads to them leaking? Anyone have any thoughts on if this would work?
The cap is supposed to have this built-in, but it doesn't always work. Many of us have done this mod, works great:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...11&postcount=6

(I think it's this one anyway, it's been a few years...)