3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need reliable replacement 48re urgent- help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need reliable replacement 48re urgent- help!

My transmission failed. I brought it to a local shop. They hacked it and told me to pay $1000 and have it towed away.- A bad situation. I retrieved the truck and it is limping along. Found out the shop has an "F" rating with the BBB.
I need a replacement , reliable transmission that can handle towing a 8500 lb 5th wheel. I have found the ATS on the internet for a very reasonable price. Can anyone recommend this builder or another quality rebuilt for a reasonable price. i do not have deep pockets and am reliant on my truck for work.
Desperate situation! Please help!
Thanks for any input.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:52 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would recommend talking to MADHAT! He would probably be able to help you. I have heard SUNCOAST is good as well but the fact that you said "reasonable" price means that I cannot recommend anyone.

I believe that every built transmission for our trucks is over-priced. That said, I am still getting one because people pay for the BEST!

Like I said, MADHAT has an ATS and could offer assistance
Old 01-30-2011, 06:11 PM

Have you looked into a Goerend transmission?

I have heard they are the best bang for the buck so to speak and that is what I am going with when my tranny goes.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the input. I am still deciding and hoping for more feedback from DTR users as to what has worked for them.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DTT, Suncoast, Goerend, HTS, ATS, Garmons, they all work well for the people that have them. You tend to open up a can of worms when you ask for trans rec's and opinions.

Where are you in Nevada? There are a couple places in Salt Lake and a bit north of there that would work with you to get what you need and no more. Ultimate Transmissions is in Boise and they are as good as any. I can recommend a builder in Mtn Home ID if you are around Duck Valley.

The other route is just buy good generic pieces and find a builder that knows what they are doing. As you have found out that is sometimes easier said than done.

There a couple diesel chapters in Nevada that can steer you right.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 PM

I am in Northern Nevada ( Reno area). Thanks for the response. Have to wonder what I would have done 20 years ago without the benefit of the internet.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Banned

Check with Carson Dodge in Carson City. If they won't do you a performance rebuild they should be able to recommend a competent local shop.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but I checked with Carson Dodge. A "rebuilt 48 re" from Dodge is $6100- transmission only! - Not installed! Tax not included. I didn't want to buy a new truck!
I do appreciate the suggestion though. lots of info trickling in( to my email and brain). I may purchase another used beater vehicle while I research the best option. A large investment for me and I want to make the right decision. My experience last week was quite horrible.
Thanks again for the suggestion though.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Banned

Yeah, thats a dodge trans and way more than a rebuild. I completely rebuilt mine for $2500. Billet cover lower stall TC, billet input shaft, shift kit, the little needed billet internal parts, updated master kit.

Goerands was getting $2850 for a basic rebuild plus TC cost, $600-1200 depending on what you want.

If you don't want a full billet trans for 800 HP its not really that bad. Some more numbers to consider.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did an overhaul using a stock mopar rebuild kit (clutches/steels/seals/bands) along with a valve body kit and converter from Dave Goerend (his suggestion for my towing use). Been 80K miles of towing my 9500lb race rig all over the west mountains. Set the cruise at 75 and go! He actually said a single disc converter would suffice, but I went with the triple disc. Lifetime warranty on that one.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:14 PM

I met with a builder today that comes highly recommended by several people I have spoken with- " Transcraft" in Reno. I will be taking it to him in the morning for a rebuild and new tc. He gave a solid price and not an open ended bill like Aamco wanted me to sign for. I feel confident after meeting with him and seeing the shop etc,, that he knows what he is doing. Wish me luck. thanks for all the input.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great news! Keep us posted to how it all goes.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 PM

I wana do a manual swap and get rid of this auto. I wish I had all my suff lined up I would sell ya my perfectly good stock tranie but its gona be a few more years unless the tranie dies before then.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:30 PM

I was thinking the same thing on the tranny swap but figures I was opening a whole nother can of worms. I wish I had been more patient when I origianlly purchased the truck and not been swayed by the salesman to get the auto. Well trying to make the best of the siuation and hopefully the new build and torque converter are stronger than stock.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 PM

Quite a few on here have done it. It requires a little work but in my mind it will be worth it over keeping the crapy auto.

Quick Reply: Need reliable replacement 48re urgent- help!