3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bad ECM?-tranny overheat light, charging problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad ECM?-tranny overheat light, charging problem

I have two problems which I think may both stem from a single problem; a bad ECM. My first issue is a charging problem. The second is my trans overheat sensor. Below I will describe more in depth.

Charging Problem:
When the vehicle is running I will get a drop in my volt guage from 14V to 10V(The "check gauges" light will come on but not always). When this happens it puts a charge on the passenger side battery of 18V and only 10V on the driverside battery. I have tested all connections, both batteries are new and tested good, the alternator tested good as well. I was told that I need to test both terminals going into the ECM and if those check out ok then the ECM needs to be replaced.

Trans Overheat:
This has been an ongoing problem for almost a year. Dodge can not find anything wrong of course. My trans overheat light comes on which turns off overdrive. Well my transmission is NOT overheating, It has happened in 90 degs in 15 degs, uphill, downhill, underload, not underload, idling, or coasting and anywhere from 0-90mph(when I'm at 70+mph it redlines me). It has turned on for short periods of time and long periods, it has gone on and off multipletimes in a row. It has even done different combinations - what I mean by this is when the trans overheat light comes on so will the "O/D off" or so it's supposed to. I've had them come on independently from each other as well.

Note: 2006 Ram 2500 cummins, no mods except intake and exhuast. The intake was installed 5 years prior to problems and the exhuast installed after.
Please help!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had both of these problems and fixed them myself. For the charging problem, the positive cable that runs from the passenger side battery to the driver's side battery is the problem. A bad connection to the driver's side battery will cause an over-charge on the passenger side battery followed by the voltage dropping on the dash gauge and a check gauges light. You need to clean and tighten all positive and negative battery terminals. For the bogus trans temp light, both the governor pressure sensor and governor pressure solenoid need to be replaced in your transmission. The sensor is causing the trans temp light but both of these parts should be replaced at the same time.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Surfram:
Got the charging problem solved, so far. Thanks! You have part numbers for the governor pressure sensor and governor pressure solenoid? Also where did you purchase them from? My local parts supply doesn't have them available-must be ordered from Dodge. Which I refuse to deal with Dodge service due to their several attempts to **** me over.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by esi2004
Surfram:
Got the charging problem solved, so far. Thanks! You have part numbers for the governor pressure sensor and governor pressure solenoid? Also where did you purchase them from? My local parts supply doesn't have them available-must be ordered from Dodge. Which I refuse to deal with Dodge service due to their several attempts to **** me over.
I got the parts from the local dealer parts counter. None of the local auto parts stores had what I needed.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:29 PM

Finally took it in since I don't with transmissions...luckily it was covered under my AM warranty...complete tranny rebiuld and new tourqe converter!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by esi2004
I have two problems which I think may both stem from a single problem; a bad ECM. My first issue is a charging problem. The second is my trans overheat sensor. Below I will describe more in depth.

Charging Problem:
When the vehicle is running I will get a drop in my volt guage from 14V to 10V(The "check gauges" light will come on but not always). When this happens it puts a charge on the passenger side battery of 18V and only 10V on the driverside battery. I have tested all connections, both batteries are new and tested good, the alternator tested good as well. I was told that I need to test both terminals going into the ECM and if those check out ok then the ECM needs to be replaced.

Trans Overheat:
This has been an ongoing problem for almost a year. Dodge can not find anything wrong of course. My trans overheat light comes on which turns off overdrive. Well my transmission is NOT overheating, It has happened in 90 degs in 15 degs, uphill, downhill, underload, not underload, idling, or coasting and anywhere from 0-90mph(when I'm at 70+mph it redlines me). It has turned on for short periods of time and long periods, it has gone on and off multipletimes in a row. It has even done different combinations - what I mean by this is when the trans overheat light comes on so will the "O/D off" or so it's supposed to. I've had them come on independently from each other as well.

Note: 2006 Ram 2500 cummins, no mods except intake and exhuast. The intake was installed 5 years prior to problems and the exhuast installed after.
Please help!
Had the same charging problem.....ECM had to be reflashed at the dealer.