2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 04:47 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Re:Tire Recommendation

I'm running BFG MTs in 255/85R16. Quite nice tire, wears pretty fast, but this might be caused by the driver too ;D

A good winter tire is the Bridgestone DMZ2 Winter dueler.

AlpineRAM
Old 11-10-2003, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that I'm still running 215's on my truck. Is there any advantage to going wider with the 255's? And most importantly, would I have to buy new rims as well for the duallie?
Old 11-10-2003, 06:11 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

OOPSIE- Dually- I do have the proper amount of wheels. So I don't exactly know about the dimensions on the training wheels but as far as I remember you are limited to 235/85R16 to avoid rubbing. Otherwise you'd need spacers or different wheels.

Sorry

AlpineRAM
Old 11-10-2003, 09:48 PM

I second Rich, chaulk another one up for Cooper Discoverer S/T. I have them all the way around my dually, I don't know about the snow weather man says I well find out here in another month or two. But on the highway they are great, wet and dry. You can't hardly hear them at all, very minimal, you have to listen for them. And in the mud they are fantastic.

Heath
Old 01-06-2004, 12:05 PM

Check out the Yokohama Geolandar H/T-s on Tire Rack. The pattern is nice for mostly on highway but they get good reviews for off-road use also. They were the tire of choice in some off-road challenge in 2003, forgot the name, but there was a review somewhere about them. Yokohama also has a aggressive Geolandar A/T + II that works well in the snow, not sure about long term wear though. I ran A/T +II on my Tacoma and they get loud after a few miles of use. I'm sure they have them in Load Range 'E'.

Tim
Old 01-06-2004, 12:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
As long as you don't mind having the same tires for long time go for Toyo M-55s. With siped M-55s the only thing I've found better for winter traction is chains. They may cost more but pay in the long run. I've gone though three sets, they've ranged from 80 to 100k before replacement. They are a little noisy but nothing the Cummins can't drown out.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:03 AM

infidel,

I do like the look of thoses Toyos....they dont come any larger than a 245 - too bad since a lot of guys prefer the larger tires...
Old 01-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Muted User

On my truck I am currently running PRO-COMP all terrian 315/75 r 16, in my opinion this is what Dodge should of put on these . I have just about 3k on them so hard to tell how long they will last. Great snow and wet traction. I had a set of PRO-COMP all terrian 305/75r16 on my 97 Dodge 2500 gas model. They had over 20k on them when I traded the truck in, and still looked brand new. I have one more for ya. Right after I bought my truck I put Mickey Thompson Radial MTX 315/75 r16 on it. They lasted a whole 23k and they were bald, rotated every 5k. They were not noisy did great in snow ok in the rain. The only thing I really liked about them was they were wider than the PRO-COMP'S. Also I have mounted all these tire's on stock rims. rims are so expensive so they might of contributed to the short life of the Mickey's. So I will get some Weld Stonecrusher's so maybe that will make a difference... Hope this helps
Old 01-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running BFG Commercial T/A'S, They have a mud terrain look but they are siped and studded. These things really hook up! After I put the lift on I will be running 315 BFG TKO'S, studded up.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:18 PM

Good Info Brain...thanks. I was just looking at the Mickey Thompson Baja MTX's at the tire store. They were pushing them really hard (said they are way better the BFG A/T KO's) and told me theyd last close to 50k....I was a bit skepticle when they said that...I now have a few more questions for them...obviously, they are confused....

I have been interested in the Pro-Comp A/T's and may have to give 'em a try...
Old 01-09-2004, 05:01 PM

Re: Re:Tire Recommendation

Originally posted by richard
I would suggest Cooper Discoverer ST.
They are a little aggressive, but I have had very good luck so far with them.
They also come in 8 ply, 10 ply, and a cut resistant version called the ST-C

Rich
I am going to have to get tires next spring. I was wondering if you have had any experience towing with the Coopers? I want an aggressive tread but don't want to sacrifice towing stability.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:51 PM

I love my Yokohama Geolander HTs which are great on the road, in the wet and on snow. If your looking for ATs then check that version out because they are rated very good. They also have the benefit of being much cheaper than some mentioned above.

I picked mine up at DiscountTire.com and they did a great job at a good price for 4 at $430 out the door with life time balance and rotate. Srigs.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tow all the time with these tires, that's why I bought them.
Normally tow a Cat skidsteer, transfer tank in the bed, and whatever I may need for the day's work.
I must say that the truck is very stable, very little sidewall flex from these tires.
And they bite great in mud, snow.
If you want to buy a set, just heard that Cooper is running about
1 week behind on their orders for this tire.
High demand.
That should say something about how good they are.
My second choice would be the Toyo M-55.
Had them on my old GMC pickup and towed, plowed, and generally did whatever I needed to do with no problems.

Hope this helps.
Rich
Old 01-10-2004, 04:01 PM

All, i run txr's on my truck it does ok in snow that is wet,it does good in dry snow.i ran toyo m55 m+s e rating about the same tread as the txr's on the suburban i used to have. I got 50k out of the toyo's and they did good in the snow.My exp is the wetter the snow the more aggressive of tire you need,if it is dry snow (20 dergees or lower) you can go with less agressive tread.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:22 PM

Another vote for REVO's. I have them on my Jeep and recently ran it in 12" snow with no problems. Otherwise quiet , good road feel and decent handling.

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendation