2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Steering Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inverted "Y" Vs. "T"

Hello All,

I'm not sure if this is drivetrain or non-drivetrain... so here it is!

I need to change every joint in my front end (tie-rod-ends, drag link, sway bar links, etc.) due to wear.

I've read about an upgrade that is available to convert newer 3500's from inverted-Y to inverted-T. I've also read that the 2500's in 98/99 came stock with an inverted-T setup.

I'm thinking that this would be a good time to make the switch if it's possible and/or advantageous!

Can anyone tell me:

a) Why do they stick to inverted-Y? The inverted-T seems to be a better system.

b) Would either the new 3500 upgrade or 98/99 2500 parts fit into my '02 2500 without any modification?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:17 AM

I think if you went with good quality front end parts (moog for example) and did the 3rd gen track bar you'd be OK. I installed a DSS steering brace about a yr ago after going thru two steering boxes in two-three months, the brace supports the lower box bearing and the truck frame. I saw no steering improvement(some have) when I finally bit on the SSI conversion bracket and adjustable track bar is when I saw the HUGE steering improvement. I could and did eat thru lifetime trackbars every 2-4months (I'm a high mileage city delivery driver). I have only replaced a draglink end(tierod end near the pitman arm) in the last 80,000miles and all the front end is still tight, the previous owner had did all the front end parts before I got it. I'm not sure of the advantages of switching to the different steering configuration, especially if you need to replace the parts anyway. but for me the trackbar/brace are the cure
Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I did the 98/99 on my first 97, and will do it again when my other one needs any front end work.

There was a thread on here somewhere that we determined it would work on a 2000 or 2001 model as well.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:44 AM

I installed a new MOOG trac-bar a few weeks ago, then a DSS the following weekend. Both significantly improved the steering in my truck (especially the DSS) but all of the other joints are pretty sloppy.

I have read a few threads (here and elsewhere) about installing the 98/99 HD setup on newer trucks (up to '00) but at least one thread stated that the stud-taper on the '02.5 and newer trucks is different. I don't know if this change was made when they switched to the new body style or part way through the year with the 2nd Gen body.

Does anyone know if there are any advantages to the 'Y' configuration?
Old 03-21-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I've done a complete front end with MOOG parts and a Thuren trac bar. I think a DSS stabilizer is next. I've been driving an 01 F-350 as a work rig for the past couple weeks and can't believe the difference in steering compared to my Dodge. That Ford steers like a dream compared to my rig with all new front end parts!

Kurt