Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Steering damper removal (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/steering-damper-removal-145531/)

atthepark 04-08-2007 03:31 PM

Steering damper removal

I need some suggestions on how to get the steering damper off my truck. I got the pass. side off no problem, but the drivers side stud is stuck tight. Can this be heated or will or will that damadge the steering arm it is connected to? I am replacing with a new damper. Any suggestion would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Red3quarter 04-08-2007 06:37 PM

When I replaced the steering stabilizer on my 95 dodge I had to put a little bit of heat to the bar the stud fits into. I got it out buy using a couple raps from an impact hammer. I just replaced the one on my 2002 and it came out with one hit with a hammer. I used a rancho steering stabilizer as my replacement both times, what are you using?

infidel 04-08-2007 06:40 PM

I always use a pitman arm puller.
Go buy or rent one.

MrKen 04-09-2007 12:30 AM

I had to use a pitman arm puller for mine too. I was informed to leave the plastic cover off the replacement, something about keeping dirt & water off the movable shaft. I don't know if it makes a difference though.

atthepark 04-09-2007 08:03 AM

Thanks for suggestions. I'll get a pitman arm puller today and let you know how it goes.

atthepark 04-10-2007 07:44 AM

The pitman arm puller worked great.

Now I am trying to get the ball stud out of the track bar so I can install a Luke's Link. Any suggestions would be great. I have the end ground off as per the instructions and the cap and stud still wont come out.

infidel 04-10-2007 09:51 AM

Leave the truck on the ground when replacing the trackbar, otherwise it's under load, the whole axle is trying to shift to the side. Leave the truck on the ground for the entire replacement.
I usually turn the wheel hard left and whack the driver's side end of the bar out with a long drift or steel rod and a hand sledge.

ScottN 04-10-2007 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by atthepark (Post 1452492)
The pitman arm puller worked great.

Now I am trying to get the ball stud out of the track bar so I can install a Luke's Link. Any suggestions would be great. I have the end ground off as per the instructions and the cap and stud still wont come out.

Sledgehammer.

That thing needs a good whack.

atthepark 04-11-2007 05:30 AM

I got it apart finally. I used a pickle fork on my air hammer to separate the ball joint from the frame. I got ball out of track bar by grinding down the lip and hitting with the air hammer again. It came right apart. The Luke's link is already assembled and I and soaking the other end in penetrant to get the original dmaper off the other end of the track bar so i can replace as well. Should have it back on this afternoon if it doesnt rain.

I have kept the truck in the ground the whole time.

Thanks for all the suggestions. This site is a great money saver!!!!