2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Pre-purchase inspection - things to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To each his own. I understand and generally agree with you, but the fact is, there is no way possible to keep up with every thing that should be new or upgraded on a vehicle. This is a discussion with no end- replace tires over 6 years old? Should I go through my truck every 6 years or so, and replace everything rubber, because it may fail? How about metal fatigue? Should I replace my leaf springs and coils every ten years, because some study has shown the possible failure due to metal fatigue? How about those who run their oil for 12,000 miles? I have read reports that you should replace your oil every six months, regardless of the miles, because there may be excessive moisture in the oil by that time. Where does it stop?
It stops with good judgement. We tend to want gurantees and warranties for everything, but the reality is that its a crap shoot. Good judgement typically wins in the end. Do I want to risk my family? Of course not. But, if I listened to every report, and second guessed every product, then I should never leave the house. Of course, then I could get radon poisoning, or bed sores, or whatever. Life is meant to live, and I will not be a slave to every fear and caution. I will use the best judgement God gave me, including good, sound advice, and proceed. Should tires have "born on" dates? I could care less. If they look dusty/old, I won't buy them. If they don't look like they are holding up, I will change them. Can I control how they will perform when I buy them? Very little. Time will tell.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
amen hodge,alltho common sents is not to common
Old 11-07-2010, 11:00 AM

I'm between Nick and Hodge on this one, in particular because I'll be hauling a slide-in camper long distances on my truck, so would likely feel more comfortable with new tires on, when I do head out. Until then, I'll keep using the tires that are on there. By the DOT date referred to in the 20/20 show, these tires were manufactured in 2003, so are 7-8 years old now. Plenty of thread on them.
I attach a closeup of the cracking that I see between the lugs, to show you what I was talking about. I asked the mechanic (who did the safety inspection) about it, and he said given they are Load Range E tires, there's plenty of belt layers so I shouldn't worry about it.
Attached Thumbnails Pre-purchase inspection - things to look for?-96ramtire.jpg  
Old 03-19-2024, 10:21 AM

I'm no expert, but I'll give you my two cents. When it comes to tires, I've always been told that age matters as much as wear. Sure, those tires might have plenty of tread left, but if they're pushing a decade old, it's worth considering a change, especially if you're planning on hauling around a camper. Safety's key, right? Plus, I saw this ABC report once that talked about how older tires can degrade and even fail unexpectedly. Might be worth a look into. By the way, regarding inspection, whenever I or my friends need to buy a car, we visit dealerships that use Vehicle Inspection Report, it gives me some extra peace of mind before making a decision. But hey, ultimately it's your call. Trust your gut and stay safe out there on the road!