2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Overhead Trip Computer

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Overhead Trip Computer

[quote author=jfpointer link=board=5;threadid=9534;start=0#92823 date=1042740815]<br>[quote author=TGCTD link=board=5;threadid=9534;start=0#92732 date=1042727175]<br>As far as the inaccuracy,i know the temp reads the last temp at key off and does not register the accurate temp until after you move the vehicle because you &quot;store&quot; the last under hood temp,because of where the ambient temp sensor is located.<br><br>The MPG &quot;guesser&quot; as is has been called takes info from the fuel level sensor and the odometer and is only as accurate as those guages.[/quote]<br><br>Now that info solves a couple of mysteries for me, particularly the temp deal. On the MPG guesser, the question then becomes whether the fuel-level sensor input it gets is more accurate than whatever feeds the fuel gauge, or if the fuel gauge is somehow programmed to calculate pessimistically, because at 1/8 tank on the gauge I can only put in about 27 gallons... That would translate to a 64 gallon tank. ???<br>[/quote]<br><br>Another little piece of strangeness, and I read this in the service manual, is that it doesnt start to update the temp until the coolant temperature reaches 140 degrees. I think there is one other parameter that I'm forgetting about.. I'll have to check with the manual of your all interested.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:35 AM

A FloScan fuel computer would be a slick setup.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:19 AM

I would like the chrysler part numbers if you have them as I woulb be interested in getting them. I do have clearance lights on the cab.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:46 AM

Hey TGCTD,<br><br>I'm not disappointed, and I apologize if there were any implied insults. I just thought it was cool that an owner had taken the time to learn about this and seemed to know more than Tacoma Dodge did. If you didn't own your rig, you might not have had the incentive to do the research, so I guess in a way, it's still the owner part of you that got ya to learning.<br><br>OK, OK, I guess I am disappointed. To determine fuel mileage and instantaneous fuel mileage, I wish they had used injector signals or fuel pump signals. My fuel gauge is pretty inaccurate. It tends to stay above 7/8 full, then drop to between 3/8 and 1/2 full farily quickly. Anyway, just my .02. Please keep updating this as you progress.<br><br>Thanks<br>Rob
Old 02-05-2003, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Rob, no insults taken. As a matter of fact you are absolutley correct. After thinking about it your right . It was the ownership passion for the truck that got me to learning,not the fact that i am a tech. I don't think now after more consideration that i would have put this much time or thought into my wife's Caravan,and maybe why so many dealership technicians don't put forth the extra effort into our vehicles. I have got to admit,since i started to read this site and buying my truck,i have a new found appreceiation for customer satisfaction and quality repairs that i haven't had for quite a few years. With that said, as far as your fuel tank accuracy,you may have a bad sending unit in the tank,or guage problem. Try filling your tank at the half mark. If you have the 35 gal. tank it would make sense that it takes 17.5 gal. to refill. at 1/4 tank check again etc. If the level isn't accuarate,the mini-trip computer won't be either.Tony
Old 02-05-2003, 07:54 PM

Ok The question was asked by atoughram if the coolant temp affected the ambient temp readings on the mini-trip computer. This is right from the factory service manual. When the ign. sw. is turned to the off position,the last displayed temp. stays in the thermometer unit memory. When the ign. sw. is turn to the on position again,the therm. will display the memory temp if the eng. coolant temp is above 109 deg. F. If the eng. coolant temp is below 109 DEG F the thermometer will display the actual temp sensed by the ambient temp sensor. The thermometer temp. display update interval varies with the vehicle speed;therfore if the temp reading seems inaccurate,drive the vehicle for at least 3 min while maintaining a speed of 30 mph or higher.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:10 PM

By the way,some of you have expressed an interest in part numbers for the set up. I will post them in the next few days,as soon as i get them out of my toolbox when i return to work tomorrow. Tony
Old 02-05-2003, 09:13 PM

[quote author=TGCTD link=board=5;threadid=9534;start=15#101140 date=1044496490]<br> Ok The question was asked by atoughram if the coolant temp affected the ambient temp readings on the mini-trip computer. This is right from the factory service manual. When the ign. sw. is turned to the off position,the last displayed temp. stays in the thermometer unit memory. When the ign. sw. is turn to the on position again,the therm. will display the memory temp if the eng. coolant temp is above 109 deg. F. If the eng. coolant temp is below 109 DEG F the thermometer will display the actual temp sensed by the ambient temp sensor. The thermometer temp. display update interval varies with the vehicle speed;therfore if the temp reading seems inaccurate,drive the vehicle for at least 3 min while maintaining a speed of 30 mph or higher. <br>[/quote]<br><br>I knew I read something about that - But without the manual in front of me (I'm at work) I couldnt be absolutely sure. So lemme get this straight<br><br>Coolant Temp higher than 109 degrees - Display is last temp measured<br><br>Coolant Temp Lower than 109 degrees - Displays temp measured from ambient sensor.<br><br>That seems kinda backwards from how mine works - When I first start it up, the temperature display doesnt change until the motor has warmed up for a bit. <br><br>Or am I dyslexic?
Old 02-09-2003, 09:16 AM

I do like my mini computer and have found the ave milage to be about 1 mpg high. This seems pretty accurate considering the way it is calculated. One interesting point was brought up about temp and speed relationship. My speedo is not working at this time and I found that whatever the temp is displayed at start-up stays displayed. I hope when I get the speedo problem fixed the temp gauge works again.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:56 PM

OK For anyone interested,here are the part #'s i promised. Module for overhead-55350660AH,Harness/junction block to overhead/With clearance lights-56045922AE,with out clearance lights-56045921AD,Ambient temp sensor-4688204,Wireing/amb. temp. sensor-56021994AB,wiring @ overhead console-5013608AA. Hope this helps. TGCTD
Old 06-24-2006, 02:57 PM

Did it work?

TGCTD,

did you ever install the new overhead console?

Bob
Old 06-24-2006, 03:52 PM

I like the compass at night. If its dark i get lost easy
Old 06-24-2006, 05:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Hey, does 98.5-99 has that mileage calculator?
Old 06-24-2006, 05:34 PM

I installed a overhead from a wrecked 99 v-10 into my truck, works fine but i had the pull the harness out also. plug and play, I only wanted the temp and compass so i worked fine. I also took the power setas from the same truck and it was a simple upgrade as well, cost me 300 for both, cheaper than I thought. I would go get the DRB scanner to fix the milage so it is a little closer but I am scared the zit faced 18 yr old kid technition will erase my MAD ECM .
Old 06-24-2006, 05:37 PM

I know what you mean! Did you have to buy another wiring harness for the seats? I would love to have electric seats. I don't know why...I'm the only one driving the truck...I just like the gadgets.

Bob

Quick Reply: Overhead Trip Computer