Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   heater core? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/heater-core-226042/)

mr bill 12-10-2008 03:13 PM

heater core?

Is there any way to change the heater core without evacuating the A/C? Maybe through the dash?

1-2-3 12-10-2008 03:34 PM

Nope. The heater core and evap core is in the same box. The box has to come out and be opened up to get either of them out. Do yourself a favor. Replace the evap and accumulator while your doing this. Add 1 ounce of oil per part replaced. Also add three 3/4" ball valves. One each on the in/out of the heater core, and one as a bypass across both hoses. in the summer, close the in and out and open the bypass. it will stop the flow of hot coolant and make your air colder and your ac will work a whole lot less. And do one more thing. get a hose and shove it onto the condensation drain tube and route it down and zip tie it to the frame. This will prevent the inevitable condensation leak that will happen one day.

Also, the evap coil either is leaking or will leak. Just a matter of time. Go in once, change it all and be done with it.

johnh 12-10-2008 05:44 PM

re charge with propane [coffee]

ramsport59 12-10-2008 07:10 PM

YES the heater core can be changed without doing the A/C. Just did it this weekend, the heater core slides out the top. The new heater cores have Swival(sp?) ends on them, so You pull the dash back, take out all the heater box bolts and slide it back 2 inches. Cut the old heater core lines inside the truck, slide it up and out. You can fit the new core in once you find the right angle.

Rick

mrclean 12-13-2008 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by johnh (Post 2309738)
re charge with propane [coffee]

Huh? I don't get it.

olddodgetrucks 12-13-2008 10:47 AM

i thought i was the only one that used propane

johnh 12-13-2008 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by olddodgetrucks (Post 2313145)
i thought i was the only one that used propane

nope i use it in my dakota, but it leaks out in about three weeks... i'm too lazy to fix it i just put more in[coffee]

MoNStrRIg 12-13-2008 04:31 PM

Yup, I had a buddy do it, by pullin his dash out.....

oudive 12-31-2008 09:35 AM

Not sure if you have tackled the heater core yet. I just did mine last weekend. Did not discharge the A/C, it is just time consuming removing the dash enough to get to the heater core. I did not pull my whole dash out, just kinda secured it far enough back to get my arms in there and secured one side with a strap and the other just sat there on the steering column.

Dodge Demon 12-31-2008 09:51 AM

Do a search,this was covered extensivly a couple weeks ago, all you need to know and even more.