2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Government investigating ram steering failures

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering box brace helps a bit. On mine when I'd get on a straight road with a pretty good crown on it, I'd have to steer left to have it not drift. The brace helped with this *sort of* the flex of the frame going away made so the wheel would stay straighter, but I suspect that the force to steer into the crown in the roadway is probably about the same. But for some reason it felt like less. I have nothing stock on my steering but the column and steering wheel now tho.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
What have you done to your steering? Fortunately my front suspension doesnt give me any great fits but I would like to find away to make it not pull slightly to the left. I know if I try to have it aligned that they'll say it was out just to take my money and it will do the same thing. I think I'll start a new thread.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually "pull" is set by changing the balance of caster between the sides. This cannot be done on a straight axle because the caster is set by the angle on the knuckle-which is welded. There are ball joints that are offset to correct this sort of thing but that's pretty involved.

What *haven't* I done might be a better question.

Borgeson shaft to reworked garbage 80mm AGR box tapped, with homebrew bronze sector shaft bushings line bored (precise!) draglink OE adjuster and rod end at pitman, modified swingbolt at other where a press fit bolt goes through two 25mm ballbearings in the centerlink.

Ballbearings grooved for grease flow and pressed into a zerked plate that is welded to 1.5" dom with a mount for a ram which goes to the OE stabilizer shock location (gusseted). Drivers side has oe stub machined and welded to fit the OE adjuster and end. Passenger has 1.25" cold rolled tapped for driver's side end and a jam nut. Whole assembly bent on press to clear pumpkin.

Ram is a 1.5"x8" 3/4" rod with machined ends to accept replaceable spherical bearings.

PS pump is an oe unit with a heavier spring and a .120" shim with the flow port opened up (the only real difference in a "high flow" pump). Oh and a fluid cooler in front of the intercooler.

100% homebrew.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never had the dw on my truck but it does wander baad I replaced all 6 tires new, all front end parts new moog, new box and installed box brace, new front shocks and alignments by 2 different shops nothing worked