Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Free headlight cleaning! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/free-headlight-cleaning-268475/)

sheriffav8r 04-20-2010 09:14 PM

Free headlight cleaning!

My headlights stink. So I bought a cleaning kit for about $10. Then they stunk, but a little less for awhile. Then they stunk the same again. I was watching Trucks! and they showed how to clean your headlights virtually free: Sand your headlights with some wet/dry sandpaper. They used 1500 but I had 600 lying around so I used that. Scrub for 5 minutes. Next, go into your bathroom and borrow the tube of toothpaste. Squirt some on your headlights and polish it with a buffing pad hooked onto your drill. I had an old polishing pad hanging around so I used that. Polish until the paste gets sort of dry and then a little more. Wipe off and clean with glass cleaner. Now my headlights look almost new. Aquafreshtastic!

mstep3 04-20-2010 09:56 PM

i tried one of those headlight cleaning kits that had the sandpaper & sealer with it. Is this the kind of kit you are talking about that you used.

Does the method using the sandpaper & toothpaste work much better?

upersleder 04-21-2010 08:33 AM

whatever you use it helps if you use a good paste wax on them afterwards

infidel 04-21-2010 09:51 AM

An added benefit is it prevents lens cavities too!

SIXSLUG 04-21-2010 10:58 AM

Remember to not use the remaining headlight cleaning kit for toothpaste!

I heard it doesn't work the other way around!

sheriffav8r 04-21-2010 11:43 AM

In my opinion, the toothpaste works 100% better and the headlight lens now looks almost new. My drill was running out of juice so I didn't even get to polish it as much as I wanted. I'll never waste my money on a headlight cleaning kit again. Minty fresh, too....

ado2b1 04-21-2010 01:43 PM

That's hilarious! And something I'm going to try this week. I've used a headlight restore kit a couple of times, makes 'em look better, but I'll give the ol' arm n hammer toothpaste a shot. Why not?

AggieJustin 04-21-2010 01:52 PM

Nice find. Sounds like a project to try on my fog lights. The headlights are in good shape since I did the Sport conversion a while back, but the fogs look pretty beat down.

Silver R/T 04-21-2010 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r (Post 2751697)
In my opinion, the toothpaste works 100% better and the headlight lens now looks almost new. My drill was running out of juice so I didn't even get to polish it as much as I wanted. I'll never waste my money on a headlight cleaning kit again. Minty fresh, too....

You don't need no stupid kits. Just get some good rubbing compound and if you have a buffer you can make them shine like new

justme- 04-22-2010 12:41 PM

bingo- all you're doing is polishing, or sanding if bad, the surface of the lens to remove the oxidized plastic. Simichrome polish was the first stuff widely recommended for that before the "kits" started flooding the market.

The sealer kits are a last chance- once you apply the sealer stuff you can;t usually repolish the lens if it goes yellow again later.

Ram95 04-22-2010 02:17 PM

I tried it today and it worked great. One of the lens was pretty bad and it cleaned it right up. Thanks for the post.[guitar]

high bid 04-22-2010 02:50 PM

Mine have excessive tartar build up any recomendations?[laugh]

grouch 04-25-2010 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r (Post 2751287)
My headlights stink. So I bought a cleaning kit for about $10. Then they stunk, but a little less for awhile. Then they stunk the same again. I was watching Trucks! and they showed how to clean your headlights virtually free: Sand your headlights with some wet/dry sandpaper. They used 1500 but I had 600 lying around so I used that. Scrub for 5 minutes. Next, go into your bathroom and borrow the tube of toothpaste. Squirt some on your headlights and polish it with a buffing pad hooked onto your drill. I had an old polishing pad hanging around so I used that. Polish until the paste gets sort of dry and then a little more. Wipe off and clean with glass cleaner. Now my headlights look almost new. Aquafreshtastic!

I clean my headlights every month or so with just plain toothpaste. It does fine, it's cheap and they smell kissy sweet afterward.