2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD Changer

My truck has the factory AM/FM/Cassette with Equalizer and with CD Changer capability. The owner's manual says &quot;This radio is compatible with a CD player that is only available from your Chrysler Corporation dealer.&quot; This radio works fine and I like being able to play my cassettes, but would also like to be able to play CDs. Anyone know where I could possibly find one of these CD Changers without having to go to the dealer.<br><br>CR
Old 12-26-2002, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:CD Changer

Any reputable stereo store should be able to sell you a CD changer real reasonable that will tie into your antenna wire on the back of the stereo deck and feed in through there. I put one in my 95 a few years ago. You set the radio to a specific channel and the CD changer feeds in through there just like it would receive an FM signal on that channel. Mine was like 89.5 or a channel that did not have a signal in the area you are in. Go to a good stereo shop or go to Crutchfields.com and ask them. They are very helpful.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:42 PM

Any FM modulated changer will work. You can also go to a reputable car audio store and get an interface that works with your head unit. The interface will allow you to use the head unit controls to operate the changer. www.soundgate.com is on place to look for interfaces for your head unit. Honestly for what they are worth, the FM modulated units work great. I've had a Sony unit now for almost 10 years and it still goes.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:38 AM
Administrator

The FM units are real good unless you want to push some serious power. I had the one in my 95 hooked up to the stock stereo like mentioned above. It worked great with the stock speakers and radio. In my 99, I wanted some serious stereo so I totally abandoned the Infiniti system and installed some real tunes.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the information guys. I will check on the FM units. <br><br>CR
Old 12-27-2002, 03:58 PM
apc

just bought fm modulated unit , busy work schedule and cold garage , may not install for about a week but can let you know how it goes , JVC 12 disc changer plan on mounting under passenger seat
Old 12-28-2002, 12:20 AM

[quote author=dieseldude4x4 link=board=5;threadid=8816;start=0#85184 date=1040971138]<br>The FM units are real good unless you want to push some serious power. I had the one in my 95 hooked up to the stock stereo like mentioned above. It worked great with the stock speakers and radio. In my 99, I wanted some serious stereo so I totally abandoned the Infiniti system and installed some real tunes.<br>[/quote]<br><br>He's not kidding either. ;D<br><br>DB
Old 12-29-2002, 10:33 AM
apc

Finished installing last night. Wiring was all pretty straight forward and easy , removing dash to get at antenna wire was easy. Mounting under the seat took some doing , removed seat as far as possible , seat to floor bolts are blue locktighted not a problem need to remove to bolts attaching center seat/flipup arm rest not a problem , hold down bolt for center seat seat belt must be red locktighted , could barely move so just pulled belt out as far as possible with out totally<br>removing. Due to contour of floor it would be hard to mount unt with eject door facing to the front or the rear, ended up facing eject doortowards the trans hump , still had to use one screw that was longer than supplied to mount to floor , had previously looked under vehicle , nothing to hit if screws accidently protruded , have yet to crawl under and see if they did(doubt it because parts of cab are double layer) , But to end this long story , the unit sounds wonderful , you wont be dissapointed wit the modulated type.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:43 PM

I also have a 98 with the same raido. I checked with mobile raido here in WA. They say they can get the six disk under seat changer like the factory changer for about two hundred dollars . It plugs into the cd changer outlet on the back of your stock raido. good luck.
Old 12-30-2002, 06:23 AM

who makes the changer for d.c. the one in my wifes 99 vett is made by pioneer. its a stock unit that came with the bose head unit. i found out this by going to a sterio shop ,trying to buy extra c.d.cartriges for the changer .
Old 12-30-2002, 11:09 AM
Administrator

[quote author=apc link=board=5;threadid=8816;start=0#85847 date=1041179586]<br>But to end this long story , the unit sounds wonderful , you wont be dissapointed wit the modulated type.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Figured you would be happy with that unit. Adds more versatility at a lower cost and works very well too.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:44 PM

I took your advice and also bought an fm modulated unit. Where is a good place to tap for the power when the key is in the START or ACC position? Also, the one I got has a wire for memory backup which requires a continuous source of power. Where do I need to tap for this, and how will it affect the charge on my batteries? Thanks.<br><br>CR
Old 12-30-2002, 09:10 PM
Administrator

If I remember right, I picked up 12 volts switched from the power supply to the cigarette lighter. Check it out before you do that and make sure it is in fact switched in run and acc modes. The 12 volt source can come from any non-switched power in the fuse box. It will draw about as much power in memory mode as your wrist watch will. <br>Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:22 AM

Thanks Joel. I think I will do the install tomorrow, if the weather is good. <br><br>CR
Old 12-31-2002, 11:23 AM
apc

I ran the power wires into the fuse box and used fuse taps available from radio shack to pull the power. They where a little stuborn to get back in but work. Use a circuit tester light and verify switched and unswitched. I used the larger 15 and 10 amp fuses , be sure to tap into the cold or fused side of the fuse. I know the cd comes with fuses but if the power grounds and your on the hot side of fuse you may blow fuse in the Power dist&gt; center under Hood.

Quick Reply: CD Changer