Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Adjusting Rear Disc Brakes on 2002 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/adjusting-rear-disc-brakes-2002-a-226417/)

wyododge 12-14-2008 12:41 AM

Adjusting Rear Disc Brakes on 2002

Hey All,

Newbie here. I looked around for this and found some threads addressing adjusting rear breaks. I have disc breaks on the rear and could not find the 'star' wheel others have referenced. I did find the slack adjuster off of the e-brake, but from what I understand this is not the proper way to adjust the rear brakes on my truck. It's an 02, 2500, 4x4. Any help??

Fishin2Deep4U 12-14-2008 01:48 AM

Well, you should have rear discs. So, no adjustment necessary. Now, the parking brake uses a drum brake internal to the rotor hat and that can be adjusted.

Dave

wyododge 12-14-2008 01:55 AM

Thanks. I guessing I need to take my rear discs back off.

Fishin2Deep4U 12-14-2008 02:04 AM

Before you tear it apart, what are you trying to achieve or what is wrong??

Dave

wyododge 12-14-2008 02:11 AM

e brake adjustment

pind 12-14-2008 02:35 AM

inboard, look at the inside of the backing plates

you will find oblong rubber plugs recessed into the spider area.

Pull these plugs out, and adjust the e-brake shoes using the starwheels that you will see through those holes.

Or, plan B. remove the rotors, measure the inside of the e brake "drum. take that measurement minus .020". set the shoes to that spec, and re-install the rotors. That is the way that Ford used to do it on their diffs. It works, but rather time consuming.

wyododge 12-14-2008 02:49 AM

Okay, I will check it out. I am assuming that by inboard, you mean looking from the differential towards the back of the rear tires (?). I looked for those damned plugs, and could not see them. Can you get to them there plugs with the wheels on? Or is the process easier if I just take them off first?

GFB 12-14-2008 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by wyododge (Post 2314007)
Okay, I will check it out. I am assuming that by inboard, you mean looking from the differential towards the back of the rear tires (?). I looked for those damned plugs, and could not see them. Can you get to them there plugs with the wheels on? Or is the process easier if I just take them off first?

They aren't easy to get to, but it's a lot faster than pulling everything apart. Once you do them once it will only take 5 minutess the second time. Get a pair of needle nose to help pull the rubber plugs out of the hole.

wyododge 12-14-2008 06:50 AM

Thanks for your help guys, I am on location pokin holes in the ground now but I will let you know how things turn out, and how many fingers I have left when I am done!!!

stevenl 12-14-2008 10:12 AM

i gotta adjust my e brake too. lol no that i think about it

pind 12-14-2008 12:50 PM

on my 01, the e brake worked for about 3 months, then, it didn't

Sooooo, when my rear linings finally separated from the steel plates, I had to change the brakes anyway. I also changed the seals at this point, and the e-brake shoes. Those stock ones were pretty skinny to say the least.

It wasn't difficult, just a pain in the butt. And yeah, you have to look for those plugs, they are recessed a bit.

wyododge 12-14-2008 06:03 PM

You didn't happen to shoot a pic of those little Bast.... Buggers while you were down there did you??

pind 12-14-2008 07:03 PM

Nah, I have never seen a (truck) rear end that was worth taking a picture of.

Like I say though, dive under there with a decent flashlight, and you will see what you are looking for, a long set of needlenose, with a 45 degree bent tip is handy to remove the plugs.

wyododge 12-14-2008 09:20 PM

Eye Captain!!! I'm Goin' in

wyododge 12-19-2008 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=Or, plan B. remove the rotors, measure the inside of the e brake "drum. take that measurement minus .020". set the shoes to that spec, and re-install the rotors. That is the way that Ford used to do it on their diffs. It works, but rather time consuming.[/QUOTE]

Okay, bad deal I think. Just dove under and discovered that the dealer (Christopher Dodge in Denver) who did my first brake job adjusted the cable tensioner all the way to the bottom. Sooooo do I have to back everything off, take off the rotors and measure everything up like you said above, or can I just back off the cable adjusters, adjust the e brake drum by feel and then adjust the cables to set the foot pedal?

Or should I just go ahead and get new shoes and forget the adjustment and start from scratch.

Waddaya think?