Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   285/75/16's LOAD RANGE E...brands? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/285-75-16s-load-range-e-brands-268253/)

Robert Rausch 04-21-2010 12:30 AM

Just to clarify, EACH SET of Michelins gave me more than 90,000 miles. When I replaced the second set, it wasn't because of tread wear, it was because of sidewall problems--I had picked up a bad habit of rubbing against the curb at work, and the sidewalls started leaking. I probably could have gotten another 10,000 miles out of that set had the sidewalls not been damaged.

cadash 04-21-2010 06:12 AM

Just put some Dura Grapplers on my Ford. Put a few thousand miles on em so far and I cant tell if they have worn at all. Very happy!!

maroonbeast06 04-21-2010 02:00 PM

i got screwed into a set of nittos after i had my michelin ltx m/s i wouldnt run nittos if they were given to me i got 25k out of the tires and the bead on both back tires split off of the main body of the tire! i happly mailed them to nitto on their dime and send a very pleasnt letter with them. now i am back to running michelin ltx m/s and will never change again! i get 85 to 90 k out of these tires hauling a 4 horse slant and never had a problem.

deadfish9 04-22-2010 09:27 PM

Original Michelins lasted 65K - highway miles in the flat south, but I would get stuck in a mud puddle. Since moving to the mountains, I have tried Cooper, MasterCraft, and Duelers (all E-Range) and the best I could get was 15K. The last set I picked up Uniroyal Liberators from Wally World and got 20K. Since they are one of the few LT tires with a warranty, I just replaced them with another set since the warranty saved me over half of the cost. Even without the warranty, the Liberators are still the best I have tried.

Tires rotated every 5K, alignment every 10K

1dumrednek 04-22-2010 11:38 PM

mr bill, i think you'll be very happy with the m55. you'll get lots of miles out of em. they do have a bit of road noise though. pretty good tractin too. my boss has em on his 04 and we just rotated em at 37000km and you could hardly tell the fronts from the back

Danderson 04-23-2010 09:12 AM

Toyo M-55's

Originally Posted by mr bill (Post 2751297)
They are worn even all the way across. Not sure what the deal is. BFG A/T's lasted 25k before these went on. Before that I was running BFG Mud T/A's that were load range D and they lasted 43k. Thinking of Toyo M55's next.

I loved my M-55's on my '98.5. They balance up with minimal lead and ride real smooth considering they have a 3900#+ load rating. A bit of noise between 45-65 mph,but nothing like the typical mud tire(Toyo MT and Nitto trail grappler excused).

mr bill 04-23-2010 05:35 PM

The first 103,000 miles on the truck was on BFG Mud T/A's except for about 3,000 between sets when I tried the Goodyear MTR's. Figure that Toyo should not be any louder then those. Would go back to BFG but still not to sure on the new tread design. I feel the toyo is the way to go and will have them probably in the next month.

snowwjob1 04-23-2010 08:54 PM

I have been runing the Nitto terra Graplers for the last 6 years load range E not the D's and have no problems and I dont rotate tires or check pressure unless it looks low.

SIXINAROW 04-25-2010 11:06 AM

There is a pattern here not to be overlooked. Michilin LTX are the best on highway tires.

fireram 06-26-2010 12:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Truck came with Mich. LTX AT

I put on some goodyears.. were great for 1 winter, then went bald quick.
Next was some Bridgstone duller revo at, biggest and widest that would fit. same thing, was great for 1 year, traction got poor after 1st year, wore uneven even with regular tire rotations. And these tires retailed for almost $300 each.

I was going to go with the Mich. At again, decided on These instead. Michelin XPS Traction 235/85.
Attachment 33106

Attachment 33107

Attachment 33108
These have been on for 1 year, and have 34,000kms on them. very even ware, somewhat hard rubber, not great on ice or snow, but better than all the other tires after their 1st year. Great on the highway, and great with a load. Even longer lasting are the Rib tires, but sacrifice some traction with those.

I would consider the Mich. LTX a gentleman's truck tire, They are great in snow and ice for the first year. If you want commercial grade longevity, get a commercial type tire.. These were not easy to find, and came to $1300 with tax installed... If I am lucky, they will be the last tires I buy for this truck, plan to sell it in 3 years..

Good luck....

Danderson 06-26-2010 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by fireram (Post 2791908)
Truck came with Mich. LTX AT

I put on some goodyears.. were great for 1 winter, then went bald quick.
Next was some Bridgstone duller revo at, biggest and widest that would fit. same thing, was great for 1 year, traction got poor after 1st year, wore uneven even with regular tire rotations. And these tires retailed for almost $300 each.

I was going to go with the Mich. At again, decided on These instead. Michelin XPS Traction 235/85.
Attachment 33106

Attachment 33107

Attachment 33108
These have been on for 1 year, and have 34,000kms on them. very even ware, somewhat hard rubber, not great on ice or snow, but better than all the other tires after their 1st year. Great on the highway, and great with a load. Even longer lasting are the Rib tires, but sacrifice some traction with those.

I would consider the Mich. LTX a gentleman's truck tire, They are great in snow and ice for the first year. If you want commercial grade longevity, get a commercial type tire.. These were not easy to find, and came to $1300 with tax installed... If I am lucky, they will be the last tires I buy for this truck, plan to sell it in 3 years..

Good luck....

That's a nice tire. Too bad the selection is so limited.

sdseva 07-31-2010 10:14 AM

anybody else running the fierce attitude mt? just wondering what kind of mileage people are getting with these. the side wall feels so thick and rugged and they look mean.

steveh1155 07-31-2010 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Rausch (Post 2750756)
You won't go wrong with Michelins. I got over 90,000 miles on my last two sets of Michelin LTX M/S. I don't know if the LTX A/T is the same tire, but the price is about the same. I got mine at Costco.

I also went to my local farm supply store and got some heavy-duty steel, bolt-in valve stems. No more flats from cheap valve stems coming apart.

Yep - Michelin. When I bought my '95 new, it came with Goodyears which only lasted about 50K. Have run with Michelin XC LT4 M/S load range E since & have been getting about 100K out of a set - very happy with them. Pressure always at 65 psi all around unless, of course, I'm loaded down in back.

Junk Man 07-31-2010 09:02 PM

Yokohama Geolanders. They never take much weight to balance. Keep them in the 65# range & they ride fine.

FWIW Discount Tire price matches web prices. Find the cheapest tire price you can, add install & tax to get out the door.

24Vsporty 08-03-2010 12:31 AM

I too will chime in on the Michelin LTX M/S.... the M/S designation is some kind of sick joke...I have to go into 4hi on wet grass and on 1inch loose sand top roads. On the other hand I have over 65K miles on them with zero problems. I stopped rotating them as often so they would wear out more quickly as I want to upgrade to a more aggressive tread and cant bring myself to chunk good tires just cause I 'want new ones'. They wont wear out! I tell myself that I will drive it like I would with any other tire on it and if I get stuck, I will immediately purchase an A/T or M/T tire. Still not stuck it and looks like Ill get another 20K miles outa them. I dont think you can buy a better 95% road- 5% offroad tire! Just my $.02.