24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Where can I reroute breather tube to avoid the oily mess

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xtoyz17
p.s. thanks for the VERY detailed response. Seems like lately clear responses are getting fewer and farer between
I'm a newbie to this forum, so I have to try and make a good first impression

Happy holidays!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No need....we'll still love you
Old 12-21-2007, 06:03 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Take a look at these. Same method to help eliminate that oily mess.
http://www.dieselbombers.com/showthread.php?t=4503
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2...kcase_vent.htm
Old 12-22-2007, 02:39 PM

My 98.5 24V does not have a puke bottle, It has a vent tube that comes off the rear drivers side of the block that goes to a clear plastic tube extending down towards the ground.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:32 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Extending it straight down is the way to go. Some pics I've seen run it up and over but these set ups can eventually clogg themselves and not vent at all. There is a set up from Cummins that vents it back into the oil pan that I saw recently but I think the tubing and stuff was around $275 for the kit. A lot of dough anyway. Straight dow seems to be the popular fix for this problem. One thing I noticed is that you said it never dripped before and now there's oil all over your driveway. That little bottle doesn't hold that much oil due to the holes in its sides to overflow. Make really sure this is your problem after you extend the tube and check it for other leaks for a while. Kurt
Old 03-29-2008, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by PoorMansCat
hhmmm..... What about having a muffler shop add a directional port in your exhaust downstream of the muffler and connect it to that. Should still be enough heat that far downstream to burn it off.
Did anybody answer this question? Is this possible?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Steve98.5
My 98.5 24V does not have a puke bottle, It has a vent tube that comes off the rear drivers side of the block that goes to a clear plastic tube extending down towards the ground.
My 98.5 does not have anything up front just a hose in the rear that seems to go straight down and tucks behind the starter. This is the way I got it not sure if this was modified. there is a about 3" what looks like a cap that goes on a flange on the front timing cover. Is this normal.??
Old 03-29-2008, 09:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorMansCat
hhmmm..... What about having a muffler shop add a directional port in your exhaust downstream of the muffler and connect it to that. Should still be enough heat that far downstream to burn it off.
There's a member who did that on here. I think it may have been Pourindiesel on his old truck.

He put up a post on it with a title of "quite possibly the best mod I've done yet" or something like that.

Lemme see if I can find it.

Never mind, it was Forrest Nearing:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=61348
Old 03-30-2008, 10:08 PM

thanks I need to fix mine. The bottom of my truck is coverd in oil. I notice that the radiatior is also covered in oil. On a good Saturday i am going to take it all out and clean it, and try to fix this blow by thing. thanks all this is helping alot.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:24 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by TexMexCowboy
Did anybody answer this question? Is this possible?
i have tried it, but the check valve ( to prevent exhaust from blowing back into the engine) i used caused too much back pressure and caused an oil leak..... i haven't tried it without the ck valve
Old 03-31-2008, 01:20 PM

I took the entire puke bottle off. Then with about 6 ft of 3/4 hose, slid it on the nipple and ran it UP over the motor near the vavlecover, back to the trans and down into the frame. No leaks anywhere!!
The long hose going uf for the first foot or so lets the oil/air separate.

The same hose going into the exhaust doesn't work because the exhaust always has some pressure. A diesel always runs with max air through it. Not like a gas motor where the air is throttled. Also a diesel has no pulsing in the exhaust, a gas motor can if the exhaust is VERY free flowing, as in open.
Trying this on a diesel you will find the dipstick pushed out, or seals blown.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:56 PM

So your saying not to put it on your exhaust? If i understand you right you are saying that it wont be good to put it like that?
Old 03-31-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by j-fox
The same hose going into the exhaust doesn't work because the exhaust always has some pressure. A diesel always runs with max air through it. Not like a gas motor where the air is throttled. Also a diesel has no pulsing in the exhaust, a gas motor can if the exhaust is VERY free flowing, as in open.
Trying this on a diesel you will find the dipstick pushed out, or seals blown.
I disagree. The amount of static pressure in the exhaust is only going to be marginally higher than atmospheric unless it is very undersized.

Also, at higher exhaust velocities a venturi effect will draw the crankcase vapors in to the exhaust and take them out the pipe. Static pressure will drop and actually SUCK on the crankcase vent-- just like when racers plumb a crankcase vacuum setup to help ring seal with lower tension (lower friction) rings.

Diesels have pulsing in the exhaust, even after the turbocharger. That's why we need mufflers

You will not blow out a dipstick or have seal problems unless you are plumbing this BEFORE the turbocharger which I don't think anyone is considering doing. If it's plumbed into the pipe downstream, there will be no positive pressure on the crankcase vent greater than with the factory vent configuration.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl
My 98.5 does not have anything up front just a hose in the rear that seems to go straight down and tucks behind the starter. This is the way I got it not sure if this was modified. there is a about 3" what looks like a cap that goes on a flange on the front timing cover. Is this normal.??
Yes, that's the way the breather is on a 98.5 (straight down near the starter)
The round cover on the timing cover let's you access your VP-44 gear nut, but if I'm not mistaken, that's where the puke bottles are attached.

I routed mine to a puke bottle thats on my frame just behind the drivers front tire and from there, it's routed to vent just in front of the rear tire.
I seem to have less of that odor in the cab this way and no more drips on my driveway.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 PM

Fleetgaurd makes a setup to recycle the oil back into the oil pan.I forget the part # but you could just search for it.I had just a hose,no puke bottle,but I didnt like the drips on my driveway.The fleetgaurd setup works well but there are a couple drawbacks.One,it is a couple hundred bucks to buy,and then it is a pain to install.But, it is better for the environment.If any of you guys decide to go this route let me know and I will give you a few tips on the install

Quick Reply: Where can I reroute breather tube to avoid the oily mess