24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

TCC or OD Solenoid Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 12:01 PM
GSP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCC or OD Solenoid Performance

I have gotten the P1740 code- ( TCC or OD solenoid performance) Several times . Like 5 or 6 times. My tans is stock with less than 30,000 miles overhaul under warrenty at the dealer. It was done by the previous owner.

The transmission is working great. Just get the code after driveing around town stop and go.

Usually I have the OD off unless i forget to . It only throws the code if I leave over drive on in city driveing . But OD and lock up seem to work great.

Any ideas whats causeing this? Eventualy I will beef up the trans maybe Goerend bros TC and VP etc.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it a California truck(check the engine data plate, and see if it has emissions data under CA)? When you come to a stop what mph does it down shift to first (should be around 10 mph)? Does it usually only set the code when cold?

Paul
Old 05-31-2005, 11:56 PM
GSP

Paulb , Yes its a from Ca truck. And yes I think it only troughs the code when cold maybe. It just happens on surface streets near my house going to the bank ,post office, grocery store . Ive never noticed the check engine light actually go on just when I start the truck again from going to a store.

Not sure the speed of first gear down shift but 10 mph sounds about right.

Ive been keeping OD off. Till I get on the freeway or where my speed goes up above 45 mph on more open roads. Trans works fine and doesnt through the code. Just went on a 4 hr drive and up steep mountain roads. Trans worked fine no codes.

Just around down slow driveing very light foot on the throutel

Any Ideas.

Thanks Rick
Old 06-04-2005, 01:07 AM
GSP

BTT... Paulb .. Any trans guys? ??
Old 06-07-2005, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GSP
Paulb , Yes its a from Ca truck. And yes I think it only troughs the code when cold maybe. It just happens on surface streets near my house going to the bank ,post office, grocery store . Ive never noticed the check engine light actually go on just when I start the truck again from going to a store.

Not sure the speed of first gear down shift but 10 mph sounds about right.

Ive been keeping OD off. Till I get on the freeway or where my speed goes up above 45 mph on more open roads. Trans works fine and doesnt through the code. Just went on a 4 hr drive and up steep mountain roads. Trans worked fine no codes.

Just around down slow driveing very light foot on the throutel

Any Ideas.

Thanks Rick
Are you sure that the torque convertor is stock? How about a shift kit? This sounds like the common problem that happens on CA trucks, when going to a "tight" convertor. The code can be set when the convertor locks up, and the rpm doesn't drop. The computer only looks for this when the truck has not come up to operating temp yet. And sets more often when it's driven like grandma owns it. Try driving it so that it doesn't shift from locked 3rd to unlocked 4th. This is usually when the code sets. It may take it a half dozen times, before it actually set the code.

If everything else with the trans works correctly then I wouldn't worry about it. You will shortly learn how to drive it so that the code doesn't set.

Paul
Old 03-19-2007, 05:30 PM

I have the same code popping up on my CA truck. My problem is that the orange/ blk wire that commands the soleniods is working properly but my truck does not drop rpm when truck goes into lokup in 3 or 4. it just started doing this.