24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

open diff

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When using a factory LS.
Carriers are machined the same. Housings are not.
If using "used". Keep the shims with the housing, and on the same side. There is somewhat of a "knack/feel" for this, but, if you're not removing the pinion, there really isn't much involved.
And no, I didn't do mine with no problem. I've done at least 1000.
YES, there is a possibility of things not going as planned. (always is).

I can't keep used LS 70's here for $350, so, that must be a reasonable price.
Two wheels slipping in the snow will put in you in the ditch MUST faster than one wheel slipping in the snow.
There are no true "lockers". (except for a spool). ALL must slip.
The words Limited Slip, Locker, Posi, etc. are terms that manufacturers made up or borrowed to differentiate their product from others. (this can be somewhat misleading to consumers).
Many do have different characteristics though. Harsher, Softer, Stronger, Weaker, etc.
Setting up "used" parts without gauges is easier than setting up new parts without gauges.
Trial and Error learning can get quite expensive though. If you're just not sure you can handle it, It's best to consider letting a shop do the set-up.
Not so much because they know more than you, but, because if it's not right, it's on them.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread is kind of dated but I can add my 2 centavos. In 2007 i had a Dana 70 Power Lok installed in my D-80/35 spline pig. The diff man could not find a D-80 version so he redrilled some parts to fit. I installed this L.S. mostly on the advice I obtained on this very site. It has worked out marvelously and even after 70K miles I still think it is the best solution for me. The reason is I carry a Lance Camper and use 33x15.50 super singles on 12" wide rims on the D-80. There is a lot of weight and a lot of traction on the D-80. All the weight from the camper is loaded on the rear axle, unlike towing weight.
Name:  DSCN0990_zpsa7504c0c.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  3.70 MB
On a recent run through Goler Wash in Death Valley, I met my Waterloo trying to climb this waterfall:
Name:  DSC_0218_zpsnk2cdn5d.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  786.3 KB
So I got on the hunt for a front traction enhancer. I've had almost every kind of locker and L.S. (except the E-locker, and the OX locker) so have a lot of first hand experience. For the front axle; Dana 60HD, 35 spline, now with free wheeling hubs and unit bearing replacement (Customz) to D-70, 35 spline outers i just bought a Detroit/Eaton True Trac gear driven Limited Slip diff.
Name:  DSCN1861_zpsvjcwfuqg.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  3.47 MB
Name:  DSCN1865_zpszxjzthl8.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  3.60 MB
The smaller one is for my XJ Dana 30 High Pinion front diff.
Since I have selectable hubs now and the True Trac is supposed to be transparent, we shall see how it works for us in snow country. Every review I read said this is the ticket for the front diff in slippery conditions because it has no torque steer or banging you get with a full locker.
I'll write up the results.
regards as always, jefe
Old 07-25-2015, 10:02 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by jefe4x4
On a recent run through Goler Wash in Death Valley, I met my Waterloo trying to climb this waterfall:
Seriously jefe.....you have some cohonas.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:57 PM

O.K. boyz, the plot thickens. I took the truck over to the axle guru today to have the True Trac diff put in. Find out that the Dana 60 with CAD is NOT a 35 spline axle. Its a 32 spline axle and there is no aftermarket gear driven l.s. that will fit this app. The application? 2000-2002 Dodge 2500 and 3500, 4X4. I really like the True Trac and have found a work around that I THINK might work. At first, I tried in vain to find a 35 spline inner axle (on the disconnect side) to replace the short, factory CAD, 32 spline axle. That way I could just order the short side axle in 35 splines to make it whole. No dice. No one wants to spend the time on an ancient axle assy with little customer support. Fine. Then I called Eric @ EMS offered as they offer a CAD Delete Kit that would replace both sides axle shafts replacing them with the 35 spline variety which I was assured would work on my D60. I already have the Free Spin, Spyn Tec spindle/free wheeling hub upgrade. It works great and would be a fine arrangement with my D60. So, I'm now waiting on the parts to arrive from Penn. and Ind. to the west slope, northern Sierra Nevada. The issue that my axle guru had was the tightness of the seals outboard of the pig. He installed this same CAD delete kit last week and said the seals were very tight around the axle. Eric at EMS assured me that the seals would last at least as long as the stock seals for that axle. I'm hoping I can put a 35 spline (all the way out to the hubs) Dana 60 together that would be as strong as I think I need carrying a truck camper around in the winter time.
jefe
Old 08-05-2015, 06:11 PM

Check out these forums Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading website in the world. and PavementSucks - Dodge 4x4 and call up QUAD 4x4 Home Page Might have better results.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:06 PM

Katoom,
I signed up the first day the Pirate page opened. User #118. In fact Pirate used some of my files for their FAC page early on regarding the ratios and apps. for 200 manual transmissions for hard core off-roaders. That was back when I used to wheel with original Pirate guys who sold out. I've been opening some of the other pages you recommend over the years, but there is scant knowledge of the '00-'02 front Dana 60 axle workings. With 32 splines it's just an odd ball. At least I'm not part of the Billion$+, Fiat/Chrysler truck buy back.
We'll get this ironed out.
Thanks for the tips.
Jefe
Old 08-06-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Cool pics
Old 08-06-2015, 03:42 PM

Katoom,
I followed your advice and got on the ****** of all 4x4 web sites and found ALL the info I should have gotten in the first place.
Good call.
jefe
Old 08-06-2015, 03:44 PM

Awesome..... Which one?
Old 08-06-2015, 03:55 PM

PIRATE
I have not been on in a few months. Since my special nitch is hauling a truck camper, here is the full on D-80 with super singles (duplex) that take the place of duals. In the pic are the 7" TJ fender flares and dually mud guards i cobbled on.
Name:  DSCN1879_zpsml3xqk5i.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  3.55 MB

Name:  DSCN1877_zpse7vshhsz.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  3.66 MB
Old 08-06-2015, 03:58 PM

Whats the weight capacity of those super singles verses a regular single?
Old 08-06-2015, 05:11 PM

These out of print 375x55-R16's have a 3750 pound rating. The newer versions are up to 3860. That's all I need.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:30 PM

Do they offer considerable stability over the stock width of a SRW?
Old 08-06-2015, 08:44 PM

Only if they are combined with a more robust suspension/shocks/anti-sway bars.
Name:  DSCN0975_zpscfee7daa.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  4.14 MB
The perches on the axle that hold up the springs define the outside 'tilt' angle of a tall load in the bed. The Mickey Thompson E range wide tires have fairly stiff sidewalls to hold up the load. Much less squirm over all. I recently replaced all the grommets in the frnt/rr anti-sway bars. Better. (and upgraded virtually the entire front axle and steering components) I keep the heavy contents of my Camper down as low as I can. Nothing on the roof. So, the answer is: yes, a wider track helps with stability but it's not the only consideration. All the above aspects work together to give me what i think is almost no sway when going around tight corners at speed. And this is with a 3" lift, front and rear. The stock suspension is a compromise between 1. a good ride 2. able to hold up the load. Guess which one won out.
Name:  DSCN1793_zpskqcyobud.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  4.84 MB
Old 08-06-2015, 08:59 PM

The upper pic has 8 leaves, Stable Loads on the ends (those black blocks), 3 leaves in the upper secondaries (overloads), one thicker lift spring in the pack. The Rancho 9K shocks are on the lowest setting with no load and the thicker single overload spring does much of the springing when the truck is empty. When loaded up (about 2700 pounds+, every bit of it loaded onto the rear axle; none on the front axle) the upper secondaries via the Stable Loads come into play incrementally,the shocks are on the stiffest setting and the load stays surprisingly stable.
This took some fiddling to get it right for my set up.
jefe

Quick Reply: open diff