24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

NV 5600 wont shift

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NV 5600 wont shift

Hi I have a friend with a 2001 HO, and he has some problems with his transmision, its locks up in some way.
He asked if I could ask for help here.

Here is how he explain it.

2001 Ram 2500 4WD. 5,9 HO, 6 spd. Edge box, RV275, 4`exhaust, K&N filter.

I have trouble with my transmission. Jumps out of gear. Shifter is still in posission. Must then work hard with the stick for High, low, 4wd stick to get it in neutral. Then i take the main shifter in neutral. And than put it back in 2wd High posision. After that i can put it in gear and continue driving. But next time i stop and put it in neutral the car is still moving very slowly forward.

It is also hard to get into 6th gir.

Anybody out there know what it could be?
Old 10-16-2008, 02:01 PM

Do the kiss method 1 st, pull the shifter out of the tower...I think you will find all the troubles there.
Do not sink a lot of $$ in that tranny if it turns out to be a bigger deal, Go to the wrecking yard and get the 6 speed mercedes unit...it won't break
Old 10-16-2008, 02:04 PM

Sounds like the problem is more with the transfer case but it also sounds like his clutch master/slave if about gone.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by thumper549
Do the kiss method 1 st, pull the shifter out of the tower...I think you will find all the troubles there.
Do not sink a lot of $$ in that tranny if it turns out to be a bigger deal, Go to the wrecking yard and get the 6 speed mercedes unit...it won't break
tell me about the mercedes trans
Old 10-16-2008, 02:52 PM

This is What I think I know and I have been around the block @ least once
After you do your research on all the diff standards trannies Doge has used ...None have worked.. all need band aids , or there are no parts made ..
So in the latest Trks Mercedes is the Vendor of choice..
Maybe you would not have to get one ESP from a Doge Trk either as the Bell on the Isb is pretty standard.
Long story , it is just a numbers game ...repair, fix ,and band aid kits, or as they say in Red Neck Ville USA...just get er done !!! LOL
PS you will have to shorten one drive line and add to the other, and beat the metel out a little in the tunnel as this trans is WAY bigger
Old 10-16-2008, 03:08 PM

PS a bad clutch will not make you jump out of gear....Your syncro blocks or dogs will,, as they are not holding...the way gears change in a standard is not how like what most peo think at all
Old 10-16-2008, 05:51 PM

Alright sorry to hijack this but more about the 6speed Mercedes. Please, were can you find them cost etc? Thanks
Old 10-16-2008, 10:52 PM

It Is what comes in the newer Doge 1 tons....But I think you will find them in lots of MID range trks like freight liner ETC.
You cant miss the darn thing it is huge ( real) no toy, on the dwn side high gear is a a bit lower then the NV stuff...but for pulling..WOW!!!! it will make you happy !
It is not a GTRAG or any other PC of crap...get the part nu and nomenclature from dodge and call around. I got mine from a trk wrecking out fit in S Idaho.
Do not use the 3 Pc clutch Dogge uses but call S Bend...He has the real stuff. In fact he probably will help ID this tranny for you.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:08 AM

RAFTEN may be on right track. Two issures. Transfer case popin out of gear. Cause: External Linkage binding and pulling out of gear. Or Internal.
Pulling slowly while in neutral --- I guess it is on a hill or not in neutral. If pushing clutch in and still moving = bad hydraulic clutch.
Hard shifting into sixth = bad clutch/hydraulic, bad syncronizer, need to change fluid to good synthetic syncromesh fluid.
Ram trucks ain't cars. JMHO
Old 10-17-2008, 08:09 AM

Don't go with the Mercedes transmission. I've been around the block twice

The aluminum case and gearing is not as strong ast the heavy duty NV5600.
New Venture (made the NV3500 for 1/2 ton, NV4500 5 speed, and NV5600 6 speed) was a joint venture between GM and Chrysler to build transmissions. The joint terminated and company closed few years ago. There was a short lack of parts for NV5600 for a while, but they are back to normal.

The transmission is a very sturdy type, very heavy with cast iron case, built for heavy usage.
I have a rebuilder nearby that serves DC also and have few on shelf ready to go. One issue they had was oil lever was set too low, you have to overfill by 1 quart, it will dissipate temps much quicker, and lubricate components better.

I just replaced my NV5600 after 218,000 miles of heavy towing all over the country, it's been a really dependable unit.

The G56 was DC replacement for it, since it was no longer available, it has an aluminum case, it's much lighter and it's been proven less reliable.

If you want to swap you will have to start from your flywheel, which needs to be a dual mass, then the clutch, then the tranny, transfer case, and driveline. It will cost you in the order of at least 5 grands or more.

Get a rebuilt NV5600, add 2 transmission coolers, recommended gear oil, and for $ 3000 you will be set for the rest of your truck's life.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:27 AM

VALV , With all due respect I believe you are talking about the "GTRAG" They had / have all sorts of issues thats why I choose the Mercedes unit after much research. ...I have not ever herd of a NV or NP being very strong, lasting long.
As for the Mercedes it is in commercial use.......you will not find a NV behind a Freightliner.
You will find parts (and you will need them) very hard to get for the NV stuff.
There are people making patch kits for some of it.
As of this writing I do not know of a Marced failures....I am sure they are out there.... Every thing wears out........But the NV stuff just comes to you in a crappy condition.
Just for comparison...go look at the weight and size of the Mercedes 6 speed, IT IS huge ! It has a torq rate far above a GTRG or a NV
As far as AL case.....I guess you could call it weaker then cast, if you went slamming it with a sledge hammer...........LOL
But my pt is and I do not care what you choose.......call Pete @ S.bend clutch (I think his name is Pete) That dude ought to know.
If we did a survey of all the NV failures out there ...0If you own one you have had or will have a failer0...you will find the results.They are junk. Yes you can fill the things full of oil , patch the O.D. units, put in oil coolers.....replace main shafts and on and on . BTDT
This is all my opinion..bases on my exp with my own trk and others on this board.
When you dudes sort it out based on fact, post it here as it will be good info for all of us.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:01 PM

Here is a reply from my friend. He live 100 miles from me, and have put his truck in a friends shop, but they have not done anything with it yet.

I think there is at least 2 different issues.

I have a 1 year old Zoom clutch. I dont think cause any troubble.

The car goes very slow forward in neutral but stops if i hit the clutch pedal.

The car has almost 110K miles on it. And i had a slow leak in the tranny a while ago. That its taken care of but i havent refilled oil.

I think it is the transfer case who causes the locking troubble, andy mabye bad/low oil can do make it hard to get in 6Th gear? But please let me know if anyone have had simular problems and can proove me wrong.

In that case, what transfer case is it? (NV241HD) Where will i find one? How much is i supposed to pay?
What oil would be coorect for the tranny?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:00 PM

thumper549, I think you have too much disinformation. I have one of the largest NV rebuilders in the area 35 miles from me, They have a shelf with at least 6 or more of them ready to move, beneath there's at least 2 dozens of them ready to rebuild. When I asked them 2 WEEKS AGO they answered there is no problem with parts OR transmissions. This is a large gear shop, they are ZF distributors and they build transmissions of any kind, transfer cases, differentials, and anything that has gears. They have shelves and shelves of them. NV are not junk, there's a little too much talk on internet forums and a site which is out of business (I wonder why). I don't think a clutch mfg/reseller cannot state a lot about transmissions, and viceversa.
You want the facts, contact this site www.zbag.com they you'll have a clear view of the whole story.

I trust the facts, not the talk. MY 3rd NV 5600 started to grind gears at 218,000 miles, I tow and haul commercially, not a just jetski on weekends. I have another just like it and will last as much as the first one with 1 year warranty and unlimited mileage (which means approx 100,000miles from me).
The other 2 NV5600 are still running, I sold the trucks with respectively 234,000 and 187,000 miles. Mercedes does not make just 1 transmission, they have medium and heavy duty, NONE of them is installed in any Dodge. You can add anything you want underneath your truck, but the feasibility is not much practical. If I have to spend 15 grands for a transmission under a 01 Dodge I rather get a med duty truck, it does much more sense and will cost less.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:10 PM

I will look up your info..
But the NV has the Overdrive problem (nut comes off) There is several patch kits sold to sort of cure the problem, So I do not know why some one is saying there is no problem....you need a main shaft and some other stuff to fix it.
I was going to install a couple other transmissions..like I said did a lot of research and am real happy with the results.
The reason the internet is so full of info about them being bad is....cause they are ???? ( the NV tranny s )
Old 10-17-2008, 07:41 PM

I agree with the internet being an excellent source of info, I couldn't imagine how we would do many things anymore.

The NV loosing the gear was the 5 speed NV4500, it was a common issue, and not only on DC vehicles, GM had it's own share since it was built for both.

I researched well myself before rebuilding mine, after I visited the plant of the rebuilder I have nearby I changed my mind immediately.

How many miles you have in your Merc ?

Quick Reply: NV 5600 wont shift