24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

NO START 2nd gen: P1689 code

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
NO START 2nd gen: P1689 code

Hello;

Looking for advice for the truck in my signature. It is currently stranded at my in-laws house.

It will not start. It does turn over just fine but does not fire up. I am getting code P1689.

I just replaced the airbag clockspring, so I had the batteries unhooked. I actually got 3 bad clocksprings from the parts store (made in China parts). The batteries ended up being unhooked for about 3 days

During my troubleshooting of the horn circuit from the bad clocksprings, I was moving relays around and otherwise poking around in the fuse box underhood.

The truck ran perfectly fine before I worked on the airbag clockspring.

I'm worried it is the injection pump, but how would this go out just from working on the horn-circuit and clockspring??!!

My signature is accurate, except for the truck as 323,xxx miles now.

Also, I do believe it may be the original injection pump as it looks like a factory label on it. Can't see all of it but it looks like a mopar part number and says "made in germany" on it (Bosch pump?).

Am I just screwed and going to have to shell out the $$ for an injection pump?

Any other troubleshooting I can do?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies

--Matt
Old 04-19-2018, 10:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
UPDATE:

I got back running today. Turns out it was a bad connection at the fuel pump relay.

I guess when I was swapping relays to trouble-shoot the horn not working it distrubed the contacts underneath where the relays go.

I had to tweak the tangs on the relay a bit to get more friction when installing. All is good now.

I notice the thread was moved from the "emergency section". My apologies if I was in the wrong spot; but my truck was stranded until this morning.

--Matt
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (04-19-2018)
Old 02-21-2020, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help

Originally Posted by mattn124
UPDATE:

I got back running today. Turns out it was a bad connection at the fuel pump relay.

I guess when I was swapping relays to trouble-shoot the horn not working it distrubed the contacts underneath where the relays go.

I had to tweak the tangs on the relay a bit to get more friction when installing. All is good now.

I notice the thread was moved from the "emergency section". My apologies if I was in the wrong spot; but my truck was stranded until this morning.

--Matt
what was the fuse? the lift pump? or is there another one