Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Newbie needs help. PLEASE! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/newbie-needs-help-please-276457/)

benboonie 09-27-2010 11:03 AM

O1 that should have in tank fuel transfor pump. Sounds like you got what I have with the wifes 01 grand am. I had a real good quote on a new fuel pump and to have it instulted. What I did not anticipate was that shop did not install the seal between the pump and the tank correctly. For about a year we were not able to fill the tank all the way up because it was a top tank mounted pump. When the fuel in the tank got above the seal ie. the fill tube it would run back out until it was lower then the seal.

Short anwer is check the seal between the tank and the lift pump. I have a real good feeling that the seal is cracked or missing. A fuel compliant oring will prolly fix it right up...

ericg 10-01-2010 03:05 PM

could be losing prime because of a rotted draw straw,i just ordered one from vulcan performance was pretty cheap,either way tho you gonna hafta drop that tank to see whats goin on

AlpineRAM 10-02-2010 04:45 AM

I had the same problem. The quick connect fittings on top of the tank were corroded and had holes. This led to loss of prime (air in fuel) and erratic running. Since I am a cheapskate I removed the quick connect fittings and installed a 10mm id rubber fuel hose and glued it in. I left the original module with the strainer etc in place, but have 10mm (3/8") id and no more air/fuel leaks.
HTH

AlpineRAM

dirtracer 10-30-2010 01:42 PM

Now my truck is showing a 370 code. Could someone let me know exactly what this code means. And what needs to be done to fix the problem. Thanks in advance. I've looked on the code list and it says a timing problem just trying to figure out were to get started any help is greatly appreciated.

KATOOM 11-03-2010 01:55 PM

P0370 Fuel Injection Pump Speed/Position
Sensor Sig Lost
Problem caused by internal fuel injection pump failure.

PaulDaisy 11-05-2010 10:15 PM

First off I don't think a stock 01 has intank pump, unless it war retrofitted by the dealer.
Secondly, miss at idle sounds like a VP44 issue to me. I would monitor behavior at medium highway speed and any lack of response will confirm this (if the truck does not die first from the other codes).
As far as overboost goes, I never was able to overboost my truck until I put in aftermarket injectors AND a chip. Overboosting with stock injectors would make me think the VP is overfueling. Is there lots of black smoke any time you accelerate?
In any case looks like, unfortunately, a new injection pump might be needed. On the upside once you replace it, it will be good for a long time. Just make sure the lift pump is up to par.

dirtracer 11-06-2010 10:33 AM

Thanks for all the help. NO black smoke paul but I'm pretty sure it's the vp44 pump failure. Now, the next question is what kind of pump is the best bang for the buck and were is the best place to buy the pump. Thanks in advance.

wyododge 11-07-2010 01:58 AM

Got mine from here. Little bit more, but guaranteed chip is new.