24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need Help From Cummins PRO.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 09:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Need Help From Cummins PRO.

Hi All,
I had the head gasket start leaking on my 2001 ISB Engine right front corner, So I disassembled it Sunday brought the head to the machine shop Monday, They had to mill the head now the machine shop said I need a .010 over sized head gasket, So I call my local cummins dealer, They told me cummins does not make an oversized head gasket. I have been in contact with cummins tech help 1-800 number and I am waiting for them to get back to me. I Really want to use a cummins gasket, Not an aftermarket one. I cant believe I am the only person to ever ask for a oversized head gasket.
If anyone out there knows the part number for the gasket it would be MUCH appreciated.

LOOKS Like NO cummins gasket for me. I guess I have to go with a Victor.
Cummins says NO we do not make a .010 over head gasket.
UPDATE!!!! Looks like NO VICTOR gasket for me either, They don't make a .010 over gasket.
Now it looks like I have to have a valve job done on a head that does not need a valve job,, Just to recess the seat into the head so the Valves don't hit the pistons...
GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another Update.

I will believe it when it comes in, But MAHLE is supposed to have a gasket.
1998.5-2002 Dodge 5.9L Cylinder Head Gasket .25mm Oversize Thickness
MAHLE Part # 54174A

I already purchased it, 3 day Shipping, We will see.. Fingers crossed.

It's a 2001 ISB185 Engine #46117900
Old 12-16-2015, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed my head gasket on my 99 a few years ago, I bought a genuine Cummins head gasket set.
Made in CHINA! wrote right on it.

when I figured out it was the block cracked and changed it I went with Felpro American made and did not buy the gasket kit, head and intake gasket only.

I have never heard of a .010 oversized gasket, how much did they take off the head? 0.010 will nut hurt,
Old 12-16-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgeRam24V
I changed my head gasket on my 99 a few years ago, I bought a genuine Cummins head gasket set.
Made in CHINA! wrote right on it.

when I figured out it was the block cracked and changed it I went with Felpro American made and did not buy the gasket kit, head and intake gasket only.

I have never heard of a .010 oversized gasket, how much did they take off the head? 0.010 will nut hurt,
you can get a .020 gasket it lessens your compression a small amount
Old 12-18-2015, 06:28 AM

The saga continues,,,,
MAHLE head gasket 24V Cummins 0.25MM over PN: MAH-54174A. I spoke with Power Products Unlimited Yesterday, I already paid for the gasket 2 days ago, Now they tell me
BACKORDER Till February, I said WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know what the thickness is on the standard Cummins head gasket, The one off my truck that is used (of course) and is around 6 and a half to 7 thousandths but of course that's used.
I found these cummins part numbers, OF COURSE cummins has NO info if they are oversized or not, BUT they can tell me the part number is good and supersedes a few times, BUT they cant tell me if it's oversized or Not. SO I had them order it and I will measure it when it comes in to see if I will buy it OR not,

Cummins 6B 5.9 ISB .25MM Oversize Thickness

CEP LABEL CODE FOR HV OE NOS. 3945803(.25MM)
CUMMINS ENGINE CO. 3945803(.25MM)
CUMMINS ENGINE CO. 3977063(.25MM)

MERRY Frigin Christmas
Old 12-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
the cylinder head can be machined if required to correct minor problems with flatness or surface finish. REFACING HEAD SURFACE The cylinder head combustion deck may be refaced in whatever increments necessary to clean up the surface and maintain the surface finish and flatness tolerances. To determine how much material can be removed from the cylinder head combustion deck surface, measure the injector nozzle tip protrusion. The injector nozzle tip should protrude beyond the cylinder head surface between 0.150" (3.817 mm) minimum to 0.171" (4.353 mm) maximum. If the injector nozzle tip protrusion exceeds the maximum limit, the head surface should be machined enough to allow for an oversize (thicker) head gasket. e.g. A cylinder head has been resurfaced. Now, the nozzle tip protrusion is measured at 4.40 mm (0.173") which exceeds the maximum limit. A 1st oversize head gasket (+0.25 mm / 0.010" thicker) head gasket should be used. To determine if additional material should be removed from the cylinder head surface, subtract the amount the replacement head gasket is thicker than the standard gasket (in this case, +0.25 mm) from the measured protrusion of the nozzle tip (4.4 mm). 4.40 minus 0.25 = 4.15 mm (0.163") protrusion, which is acceptable. Also, measure the installed valve depth into the cylinder head. Intake valve depth (installed): 0.023" (0.584 mm) minimum to 0.043" (1.092 mm) maximum. Exhaust valve depth (installed): 0.038" (0.965 mm) minimum to 0.058" (1.473 mm) maximum. Both dimensions MUST be within specification.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by BigIron70
the cylinder head can be machined if required to correct minor problems with flatness or surface finish. REFACING HEAD SURFACE The cylinder head combustion deck may be refaced in whatever increments necessary to clean up the surface and maintain the surface finish and flatness tolerances. To determine how much material can be removed from the cylinder head combustion deck surface, measure the injector nozzle tip protrusion. The injector nozzle tip should protrude beyond the cylinder head surface between 0.150" (3.817 mm) minimum to 0.171" (4.353 mm) maximum. If the injector nozzle tip protrusion exceeds the maximum limit, the head surface should be machined enough to allow for an oversize (thicker) head gasket. e.g. A cylinder head has been resurfaced. Now, the nozzle tip protrusion is measured at 4.40 mm (0.173") which exceeds the maximum limit. A 1st oversize head gasket (+0.25 mm / 0.010" thicker) head gasket should be used. To determine if additional material should be removed from the cylinder head surface, subtract the amount the replacement head gasket is thicker than the standard gasket (in this case, +0.25 mm) from the measured protrusion of the nozzle tip (4.4 mm). 4.40 minus 0.25 = 4.15 mm (0.163") protrusion, which is acceptable. Also, measure the installed valve depth into the cylinder head. Intake valve depth (installed): 0.023" (0.584 mm) minimum to 0.043" (1.092 mm) maximum. Exhaust valve depth (installed): 0.038" (0.965 mm) minimum to 0.058" (1.473 mm) maximum. Both dimensions MUST be within specification.

Thanks for the injector tip specs, I will check this tonight.

The machine shop took 0.015" off the head to make it flat, So with a 0.010" thicker gasket everything will be 0.005" closer to the piston's. IF a gasket is available, WHICH I can NOT find anywhere. Cummins dealer is NO help. I have also called Cummins tech help line, NO HELP.

I found a cummins part number of #3945803 which supersedes to #3977063 which by that site is a 0.010" thicker, BUT cummins wont let me open the package when it comes in, SO I will have to measure the gasket in the package, Cardboard thickness on the package is about 0.006" thick, My USED gasket measure around 6 and a half to 7 Thousandths, I will take a total measurement of the package then measure just the cardboard and that should be CLOSE to what the thickness of the gasket will be, SO if the package is around 0.023" or so I Will take it, I Know it's not the right way to do it BUT I think it will get me a ballpark measurement, That's why I am asking if ANYBODY knows what the thickness of the stock gasket is?

3 days ago I ordered a gasket from Diesel power products a Mahle PN: MAH-54174A,
2 days later they contact me to tell me That gasket is on backorder till February, Got a refund.

I Just cant believe how much NO HELP the cummins dealer and the tech help line was.

I REALLY need to know what the thickness of the Stock gasket is.

The gasket I ordered from cummins will or SHOULD be here Monday.

BigIron70 I REALLY appreciate the specs on the injector protrusion.

All this because of a Little anti freeze leak in the right front corner, I should have drove it for the winter and fixed it in the spring. Because the snow is coming,

UPDATE!!!

Info I got, Hard for me to get consistent readings, But these were the highest readings I got, all reading's very close, Hard to tell if perfectly perpendicular with the head, Used a 90degree welding magnet, Taken with a digital caliper.

Injector tip protrusion = 0.180
Exhaust Valve depth = 0.034
Intake Valve depth = 0.018

So to put me in spec, I do believe a 0.010 Head gasket would work,, IF I COULD FIND ONE!!!!! Raise the valve depth value and lower the tip protrusion.

I looked on Napa's web site today, There it says the standard gasket is 0.061" thick, Can anyone confirm that???

BigIron70 Thanks so much for the education!!!!

Last edited by Truckman; 12-20-2015 at 10:42 AM. Reason: More info
Old 12-22-2015, 06:25 AM

Question Help!!!!

HI All, I NEED Help, I Need To know how thick a stock Head gasket is on a 2001 24 valve cummins, over sized Head gaskets are on galactic back order till February, I ordered a #3977063 from my local cummins dealer, The gasket came in, BUT I have nothing to compare it too, I NEED a starting point, The stock thickness measurement. Cummins is NO help. They just say Cummins does not offer a over size gasket.

My Truck is apart, Head is milled,And NO GASKET available..

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2015, 11:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Ok. Fel-pro has std gasket thickness at .061"

Get your local cummins guys to search up a 3802981. It will probably supersede.

Victor and mahle are the same company.

I have had luck buying oddball stuff from Ag kits .com. they actually have some really good sources.

Good luck

On edit. Cummins does not offer an oversized gasket for your specific engine serial number. This does NOT mean that they don't make one. You need to talk to a partsman, not someone who is stuck with what the computer tells them.

Last edited by pind; 12-23-2015 at 12:52 AM. Reason: More info
Old 12-23-2015, 06:13 AM

DEAR Santa

Originally Posted by pind
Ok. Fel-pro has std gasket thickness at .061"

Get your local cummins guys to search up a 3802981. It will probably supersede.

I have had luck buying oddball stuff from Ag kits .com. they actually have some really good sources.

Good luck

On edit. Cummins does not offer an oversized gasket for your specific engine serial number. This does NOT mean that they don't make one. You need to talk to a partsman, not someone who is stuck with what the computer tells them.
Yes MAHLE Owns Victor. And a couple other company's.

Thanks for the info, Is that 3802981 supposed to be an oversized gasket?
I Tried AG Kits also.
Thoroughbred Diesel, Rocky Mountain diesel, The diesel shop, AutoZone, NAPA. Advance auto, Cummins,MAHLE, And Many more.

Victor and mahle are the same company.
Just got off the phone with Cummins Help line,
#3802981 supersedes to #3098985 according to Cummins and TSB#110261,,,

NOW another 30 min on the phone with Cummins help and more cummins part numbers.

#4090035 Oversize 0.25mm
#3945803 Oversize 0.50mm

The parts guys at my local cummins dealer Lock the front door when they see me coming, They already have to send back one gasket I ordered #3977063, He is not to happy with me.
Right now I'm at the point where I want my Truck back together. So a local High Horsepower shop who builds cummins for truck pulling at the local county fairs said he can get a 12 valve gasket to work,,, I don't know how true it is BUT we will see. Hopefully it gets me to February, That's When MAHLE says their oversize 24 valve gaskets will be available. HATE To have to do it again.
I Sure Wish I did not take it apart. BUT you have to roll with the punches.

Dear Santa,
1) .020" oversized Head Gasket

Thanks again to all for the help.

And Merry Christmas To ALL,

I will let you know how I make out.

Last edited by Truckman; 12-23-2015 at 06:59 AM. Reason: info
Old 12-23-2015, 08:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mahle Head Gasket For 98.5-02 5.9L Cummins 24v .25mm 54174A
Old 12-23-2015, 08:33 AM

That is available in February 2016 as per MAHLE..

I have ordered that part number from 3 different places, AND had the money refunded when they find out that gasket is not available.
The only way to get that one would be if anyone had one on the shelf.

Been there done that.
Thanks anyway

Last edited by Truckman; 12-23-2015 at 08:36 AM. Reason: More info
Old 12-23-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
010 Thicker Head Gasket Fits 98 5 02 Dodge 5 9 Cummins 24V | eBay
Old 12-23-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
So is 3098985 not available? Do they not have nos on the 3802981?

Or, is your level of frustration making this exercise more strenuous than it really needs to be?

I deal with these kinds of things almost 95% of the time. There is always an easy work around, you just have to find it. And to add a level of interesting, absolutely everything I require, involves JIT shipping and delivery. Want to see things get screwed up in a hurry.

Take a deep breath, a step back, and try again. You'll find what you need