24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is my torque converter going??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my torque converter going??

I have read a bunch of threads on the TC locking up, but my question is how noticeable should it be? I can definately feel it when it shifts into fourth, enough that it feels like a "thump" and I can feel the tranny, what I can best describe as "bounce" up and down. Only once though as it engages. Is this normal? I only have 61,000 miles on the truck and only run an Edge EZ. Also, how can you tell if the TC is slipping? thanks
Old 01-14-2008, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89dieselkong
I have read a bunch of threads on the TC locking up, but my question is how noticeable should it be? I can definately feel it when it shifts into fourth, enough that it feels like a "thump" and I can feel the tranny, what I can best describe as "bounce" up and down. Only once though as it engages. Is this normal? I only have 61,000 miles on the truck and only run an Edge EZ. Also, how can you tell if the TC is slipping? thanks
The way I knew mine was going out was when I would pull my camper on a long grade, the tranny would shudder or feel like you were driving over a washboard road. Believe me, you will know when it does it.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by hamilton71801
The way I knew mine was going out was when I would pull my camper on a long grade, the tranny would shudder or feel like you were driving over a washboard road. Believe me, you will know when it does it.

What he said^ You will also notice the lose of power when you hit the go pedal.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 89dieselkong
You know I'm experiencing the same exact thing that you described except mine does it thru all the gears. I've just about had it with this tranny. I wanna bite the bullet and get a fully built tranny but dang they cost too much + labor $$$.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:05 AM

The fluid will burn quickly if the TC clutch is going also. I changed only my T/C and valve body. Trans is still great. TC hadn't totaly come apart yet -- frictions but no metal shavings in the trans.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:43 AM

When my converter went out I had a few signs. The shutter (pulsating of traction - no trction on the friction disks) was very noticable and while cruzing down the highway when you accelerate your tachometer should not rise 200-300 RPM's. It should stay stable and increase with speed.

If/When you go to replace it, take a look at Suncoast for converters. I have the tripple disk converter and it has not waivered in 110K miles pulling loads up grades regularly.

Food for thought.............