24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Multi-function relay p/n 56007078

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multi-function relay p/n 56007078

I've got a 02' 5.9 6l turbo with 144,000 mi. I had an Edge performance kit installed 10-15,000 mi ago. While driving at a steady speed I lost the accelerator pedal and the check engine light came on. The pedal regained itself after a few seconds. I ran the diagnostics with the Edge system and got P0121 and P1693. I installed a new TPS, cleared the codes and all was well for a while. I lost the accelerator pedal again, check engine light came on, did diagnostics again and it showed the same codes. Now I am experiencing what I am inclined to believe are fuel delivery issues. There is a red wire with a 15 amp mini fuse coming directly off of the positive battery terminal on the driver's side of the vehicle that goes to a relay, p/n 56007078, that is mourned on the firewall. The 15 amp mini fuse was blown. According to RockAuto this relay is a multi-function relay. There is a post on the relay that lines up with where that red wire connects. The end of this post appears to be burnt. Can anyone tell me what this relay controls and could it's malfunction be related to the fuel delivery issues I am experiencing? Thank you.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Try the apps reset procedure just in case you didn't do it already when you installed the new apps.

Remove both negative battery cables for about 30 minutes then reconnect batteries.

Turn the key from off to on 3 times (without cranking engine) stopping in the on position on the 3rd time. Slowly press the accelerator pedal all the way down then all the way up then turn key off.

The relay I have no idea what it may be.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:44 PM

Multi-function relay 56007078

Thanks Larry,
What do you mean in regards to "apps"? The Edge system? I wasn't aware there was a "reset" on it anyplace. I cleared the codes again with the Edge diagnostics and no more codes come up. The truck will start but it turns over for almost a full 15 seconds before it fires. When I press the accelerator pedal it starts skipping and misfiring and RPM will not exceed 2,000 making it throw black exhaust from the tailpipe.
I did what you said with unhooking negative terminals, the key and accelerator pedal thing and it seemed to fix it. I took it for a test ride and got about 5 miles before I lost the accelerator pedal again and the check engine light came on. The pedal regained itself after a few seconds but within a mile or so did it again. I made it back home and ran the Edge diagnostics again. This time it shows, once again, the P0121 TPS code, the compotent failure code P1693 and now a P0216 fuel timing code. Do you know what engine component the fuel timing code is related to?

Last edited by Srg58; 10-28-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Didn't find a link to post another reply.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:42 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
That PO216 is the injection..... pump death code.....

Go to blue chip diesel they have diagnostics you can follow here https://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44_diagnostics.html

The APPS is the Applied Pedal Position Sensor not a part of the Edge product. I would try unplugging the Edge box as well just in case the problem is in there.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I am guessing that at some time, your fuel lift pump was upgraded to the in-tank replacement pump that Dodge sells now. The relay hanging on your firewall is part of the wiring overlay kit that was supplied to power the in-tank pump. It sounds like the pump or its wiring must have shorted to have blown that fuse, and you are now starving the injector pump by having no lift pump pressure. This is the likely cause of the P0216 fault. Try to avoid driving the truck until you get it solved, or the injector pump may be damaged.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan
I am guessing that at some time, your fuel lift pump was upgraded to the in-tank replacement pump that Dodge sells now. The relay hanging on your firewall is part of the wiring overlay kit that was supplied to power the in-tank pump. It sounds like the pump or its wiring must have shorted to have blown that fuse, and you are now starving the injector pump by having no lift pump pressure. This is the likely cause of the P0216 fault. Try to avoid driving the truck until you get it solved, or the injector pump may be damaged.
yep, that very well may be the source of my problems as I remember the mechanic that installed the Edge system had the fuel tank out. Fortunately I have another vehicle to drive. Unfortunately, I am challenged by cold and rainy weather and working on the Dodge in my driveway. I suspect also that the Edge performance package that was installed is mis-functioning due to the fact that the monitor now will only display two of the eight functions it initially displayed. I will check the local retail auto parts outlets tomorrow and find another relay and then weather permitting crawl underneath and trace out the wiring from the relay that feeds the in-tank pump for possible shorts. Thank you for your insight and avice. It is greatly appreciated.