24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Irregular Starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irregular Starting

My truck starts OK abt 1/4 the time, other times it takes 15+ seconds to start. it doesnt matter if its cold or warmed up. just never know when its gonna be hard to start. New lift pump, new Injecter pump, new imap, new fuel filter, truck has 132,000 miles on it, i see no leaks on the fuel lines, no fuel getting to oil.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:08 PM

Was gonna suggest pulling codes to see if IP death code was thrown, but you just replaced it. Might still be worth pulling codes with the key trick to see if anything shows up.

~Rob
Old 08-27-2007, 09:15 PM

I ran into this problem and it just progressively got worse. I installed heavy duty battery cables everything, took my starter to Advance Auto and they put it on the tester and it checked out fine (or did it???) it ended up being my starter, and without doing good research on this forum it wasn't until after I paid out the old Wazzoo for a new starter did I meet someone here who gave me a link to a guy that sells a starter rebuild kit for 12 bucks. I would check your battery grounds and make sure they are good, and it wouldn't hurt to check your starter.

Good luck

Gary
Old 08-27-2007, 11:07 PM

it turns over just fine, and when it does start there is no knocking etc. when it hits it starts and sounds fine. just have to turn it over for 15 secs sometimes twice for it to start. the starter will be turning it over and when it decides to start it does so. with no more problems, had machanic put computer on it, no codes.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:37 AM

Check out This Link
It was mentioned earlier as a place to get inexpensive parts to fix starter issues. It also has an FAQ page about starting issues that might help you troubleshoot.

Good luck,
~Rob
Old 08-28-2007, 12:09 PM

Mine acted the same way at first, then it acted like the batteries were about die. Bought new batteries, new battery cables still acted the same way. Someone on this forum told me to buy the starter rebuild kit but I was stubborn because I took the starter in to be tested and it checked out good. (still not sure if they hooked it up correct) anyways I was out of options so I bought a starter because I needed the truck up and running. Installed the starter and everything was perfect in my world once again. I paid roughly 189 for something I could have rebuilt myself for around 12. Lesson learned. Now I get to deal with the dreadded VP44 thing! Lucky me!
Old 08-28-2007, 04:06 PM

so you are saying, even though its turning over great, (it has new batteries) and all of a sudden it starts it could be the starter? the starter is turning the motor over the whole time, then it starts all of a sudden and runs great. thats why i am asking , u still think it could be the starter? i never hear any change in the starter during the times it takes it a while to start.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:14 PM

I'm just saying what happened to me, never thought it was the starter myself. I know that when I took the old starter out I could spin it by hand real easy, and the new one was much harder to spin by hand.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:41 PM

thanks for the starter site hotdram!!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:52 PM

you have me wondering about the starter now alaskaflyer? i would never think it was anything to do with my starter but since u had the same problems i may rebuild the starter to see.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:53 PM

It's a good inexpensive way to start!

Good luck, I think I have a rebuild kit in my garage, let me look, I will give you a really good deal if I still have it. (I should, according to my wife I never throw anything to do with truck or motorcycles out!)

Gary
Old 08-29-2007, 02:37 PM

If the truck is turning over fine, and it is just taking a long time for it to fire, it sounds like you are loosing prime on the injection pump.
Try bumping the starter and get the lift pump to build fuel pressure.
This should prime the system and then try starting the truck.
If this works, you need to start looking for possible air leaks.
Check all of your fuel connections, as air could be getting in without fuel coming out.
I have also heard of the pressure relief valve at the injection pump being a possible problem resulting in hard starting.
Give this a try and see what you get.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:47 PM

I'm experiencing the same problems but not as frequent yet, only about 1 in 10 starts it doesn't fire right up but I have to crank for about 15 seconds and then it fires right up. This pressure relief valve everyone keeps talking about, where can one find one on line or locally. Any install advice would be appreciated.

I'm with b4wheeler if it's turning over fine it's not going to be a starter issue, could be bout doubtful.

My symptoms if they are like yours are I try to start the truck, normal about 2-3 seconds of cranking it will fire for a second and then die. LP is now running and I have full 18psi pressure, I try cranking again and it's just cranking and then it finally fires up. It doesn't matter if it's cold hot just ran hard or parked for days. Sometimes it just doesn't want to start.

HTH.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.sherco-auto.com/contacts.htm
Old 08-29-2007, 11:50 PM

i had this exact same problem!!
i changed the starter to no avail. i fixed it by putting a check valve between where the fuel line leaves the frame rail to right behind the lift pump/fuel filter.
problem solved.

you can test this problem by using some vice grips.. if you turn off the truck quickly pinch it off with some vice grips. then when you return remove the vice grips and quickly start the engine.. should be a lot easier to start.

Quick Reply: Irregular Starting