Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   I think I'm being lied to... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/i-think-im-being-lied-215460/)

Spooler 08-30-2008 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tocapet (Post 2193405)
Wonder how many engines Fram has had to pay for?

I know of one at my Dodge dealer. They paid the claim, no questions asked.

Smkndzl 08-30-2008 01:31 AM

If you say you never got the engine hot or had troubles. take the ECM to cummins and have them make a ECM print of the history on the engine, it will state if you have overheated the engine or overspeed it, it will not lie to you, send a copy to the engine people. that ecm print out will tell them everything was good.

Tray 08-30-2008 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by 96_12V (Post 2193421)
This is true - I've witnessed two Fram-engine failures in two different Dodge dealer's shops, and that's just been when I've been in for service. Seems this engine had a rash of poorly constructed Fram filters, which could still be out there. Never heard of this problem with other engines.

That being said, this whole problem may be a good testimony to the idea of using reputable, known shops for major work you're having done, if you are unable or not desiring to perform it yourself. Did you personally have experance with this shop previously? I hope there's a chance of recourse without involving a court case. Perhaps in the future your Cummins dealer, even with a higher price, may be a better place for your service? Best of luck getting this mess sorted out...

This place didn't actually install the engine or anything, they simply built it and shipped it to a mechanic in Albuquerque NM where my truck was broke down and they put the engine in. The only work these guys performed was the build of the engine. I've already contacted some attorneys and I'm pretty sure this is going to court.

On the other hand, I've learned that all engine work on my pickup will be performed by Cummins in the future. They were going to charge me 8 grand to rebuild my last engine, and from I'm spending now I'm getting close to paying twice that.

Tray 08-30-2008 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Smkndzl (Post 2193517)
If you say you never got the engine hot or had troubles. take the ECM to cummins and have them make a ECM print of the history on the engine, it will state if you have overheated the engine or overspeed it, it will not lie to you, send a copy to the engine people. that ecm print out will tell them everything was good.

That probably won't work. The last engine DID get hot, very hot. It was already on outs and I was just trying to make it somewhere to have it serviced, it was leaking oil pretty badly (I put in 3 quarts over an 80 mile period) and the belt got oil on it while climbing a rather steep hill pulling a fifth wheel and the truck overheated bigtime. I really didn't care at that point as I knew I was heading towards a new engine anyway.

96_12V 08-30-2008 08:22 AM

Wow. Sorry about this situation! I do hope you can manage to sort it out through a good attorney, seems like you've had to deal with quite a bit of dollars just to stay up and running. Good luck, especially dealing with an out of state shop.

Tray 09-10-2008 09:54 PM

Well, an update to all of this. After calling the fuel shop that tested the injectors and having them send me a copy of the invoice that showed which injector tested bad, I thought they were off the hook as they showed the injector that was in #6 before the swap as overfueling. Was working on going back to dodge since these are new injectors, and cummins called me with some interesting information.

This "Stock" engine that I bought, that is supposedly rebuilt completely to cummins specs, has aftermarket pistons in it. The Cummins tech says they they are 30,000ths over, and Cummins only makes a 20 over and 40 over. He says it's a heat score on the piston, and he seriously doesn't think the problem was caused by an injector. He says in his experience an overfueling injector always gets the top of the piston, and the top of my piston is in perfect shape.

Now I have to buy a rebuild kit for new pistons in the engine, have the block bored to fit the 40 over pistons, and have the block magnafluxed to make sure it's not not cracked as the tech says it looks like a heat score on the piston.

So all in all, I'm ending up with exactly the same thing that I was supposed to have by buying this engine in the first place, but now it's cost me an extra 6,000 bucks to make it happen, and thats assuming my block isn't cracked and I don't have to buy a new one. Once again I'll say stay far far away from South Houston Engines.

dj_souvlaki 09-11-2008 02:41 PM

wow that sucks. i've been there before.