Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/)
-   -   Front end BANG (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/24-valve-engine-drivetrain-89/front-end-bang-290768/)

pickupman96 06-04-2011 06:42 PM

Front end BANG

I have had this bang in the front end this week. I have checked all the bar ends, ball joints, ext. It sounded like it was coming from the steering box so i changed that and nothing. Its not in the same spot when i turn every time and does not do it when the tires are off the ground. Its loud and sounds like your hitting boiler plate with a sledge hammer but not as loud. Where should i look now??? Thanks in advance

BigIron70 06-04-2011 08:14 PM

I would have someone turn the steering for you while you give a look. If it's as loud as you say should be easy to find what's loose or broken. Trac bar loose possibly or front u-joint if 4X4.

pickupman96 06-04-2011 09:11 PM

i think i may have narrowed it down to the steering shaft u-loints. Could this be

Polaraco 06-04-2011 09:39 PM

If it's happening on bumps, check the snubbers above the axle

pickupman96 06-04-2011 10:42 PM

I can't really hear it when driving but you can really hear it turning back and forth in the driveway

DIESELWRKS 06-05-2011 06:43 PM

dont know if you have a steering shaft stabilizer.. my DSS when the bolts where loose on one side this made the DSS plate slap the frame when I did small turns.

Midnite 06-06-2011 10:29 AM

I think the steering gear is mounted to a bracket which is bolted to the frame. The bracket may be cracked, and when you turn the wheel back and forth you're putting a lot of torque on it. Note that this would be more of a clunk--not a huge banging noise.

My old 1st gen had this happen, and they actually had to magnuflux the bracket to find the crack. Got a new bracket, and the clunking disappeared.

Polaraco 06-06-2011 10:47 AM

Is it a bang or a clunk? You hear it sitting still? Moving?

RowJ 06-07-2011 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by pickupman96 (Post 2976828)
.....Its loud and sounds like your hitting boiler plate with a sledge hammer but not as loud. Where should i look now??? Thanks in advance

I had the same scenario at 175,000 miles. It is not an uncommon occurance (I learned to the detriment of my wallet) on higher HP trucks around that mileage ....... especially if raced at all.
On mine it was the splines on the front cover of the transfer case.... wearing and then starting to skip. Sounded just like you described....and usually happened in a turn.

But mine was while driving and I could hear it, so maybe not the same thing?.

ellerman 06-29-2011 11:27 PM

I had a random bang in my front end and it ended up being the track bar on the axle end. The bolt had loosened and egged out the hole a little so it would slip and create a bang while doing slow speed turns like into a driveway.

mstep3 07-01-2011 05:32 PM

as was already mentioned, i would check the track bar bolt at the axle if it's doing it when you turn the wheel....i had similar problem with mine & this was the problem....