24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

FASS DRP 02 - Install/Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASS DRP 02 - Install/Review

I decided to find a better solution to the stock lift pump on my 98.5 I think I was on #5 (I've had the truck since new) I decided on the DRP 02 That I bought from Lary from this Forums Store. I installed it yesterday. Wow what a project!

I consider myself a pretty good mechanic but those instructions where the worst I’ve come across, they just did not work for me.

I installed the DRP per the instructions, mounting the DRP to the existing lift pump mounting plate:

(1) The supplied "bracket guide pin" is too long and will not allow the supply line bracket to slip between it and the DRP pump body, so I had to cut a notch in the bracket while laying on my back under the truck.

(2) Once the notch was cut there was no friggen way to get the inlet banjo fitting and washers installed, let alone getting a torque wrench on it or the outlet banjo for that matter! (Maybe if you drop the starter?)

(3) Why drain the fuel filter if you don't have too as the instructions tell you too? I did not, there was no reason too and my truck started right up when finished, no priming necessary.

So I ended up pulling the DRP back out from the existing mounting plate, I cut the supply fuel line with bracket and supply banjo fitting (Where the new in-line filter goes) and installed both banjo fittings and torqued them, I installed the inline filter on the supply line also, doing this all out of the truck on the luxury of my work bench.

Re-installing the whole finished assembly to the existing mounting plate made the job simple! I really hate having to do things twice and hopefully this might save someone out there a little aggravation.

I would like to add the DRP 02 really works great, my old fuel pressure gage is pegged because it only goes to 15 PSI, so that tells me it’s putting out the advertised 18 PSI or very close to it. The truck starts with just a light touch of the key. Also my truck is a 5-speed and surprisingly something I never expected, it really smoothed up the lag between 1st and 2nd gear that I was use too!

Scott
Old 01-11-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timely Review!

Thanks. I am going to have to replace my lift pump too, and have pretty much settled on the DDRP as recommended by others. I will keep in mind that it will be easier to mount everything to the bracket and then install it as a unit.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I have the FASS 95GPH pump mounted back at the tank....same thing, the instructions could be better. I called them and got great help from the desk guy regarding an error in the instructions tagging one of the fittings incorrectly, though and am happy with the way it turned out....