24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Does hot weather make smoke or do I have a problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does hot weather make smoke or do I have a problem.

I have noticed now that my truck throws a large cloud of smoke from light to light. Its with about 1/4 to full throttle. I have no performance mods and I have never seen this before. The truck runs good boost is good 19-20 max. Fuel is pegged over 17 psi. The Filter is a K&N, I have a Fram too and with that in the smoke is worse. Could this be a bad injector? Boost leak? truck runs great, no stumble.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:54 PM

I'd have to say yes because the air is thinner.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:06 PM

A stock truck shouldn't throw a "large cloud" of smoke. How large is the cloud? What color is the smoke? Does it smoke more if the engine is cold or hot? Have you checked for codes?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:00 AM

No codes. does it only when the truck is warm to hot. The cloud looks like when I tried a superchips level 3. My uncle said I could have a bad injector. Enough smoke you could take a picture of it while driving.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:30 PM

Anybody?
Old 05-30-2006, 06:18 PM

I don't know about the bad injector... how clean is your air filter?? You say it's worse with the Fram so perhaps your K&N is also restricting flow. It sounds as though you're still building the appropriate boost levels for a stock truck though.

Even in the 100 degree heat of August in Kansas while my truck was stock I couldn't make enough smoke to rival what my truck did with an EZ.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:21 PM

The K$N is clean. Could it be a boost leak? A small one? I have not read that this is a sign of the IP unless its white smoke and hot. Today it was pretty bad. The truck was in a small fender bender recently and the intercooler was replaced. It looks different then the old one and so does the radiator. All dodge parts. I dont want to go back to the dealer. Every time I go it costs something and I have a hard time believeing these people. I cant hear a boost leak.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:37 PM

Any chance your burning the other thicker oil located in your crank case?
Old 05-31-2006, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by AAmeeting
The K$N is clean. Could it be a boost leak? A small one? I have not read that this is a sign of the IP unless its white smoke and hot. Today it was pretty bad. The truck was in a small fender bender recently and the intercooler was replaced. It looks different then the old one and so does the radiator. All dodge parts. I dont want to go back to the dealer. Every time I go it costs something and I have a hard time believeing these people. I cant hear a boost leak.
Then you have to ask yourself one question... was the truck smoking prior to the intercooler replacement?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:47 PM

Well I wrecked it when it was about 60* out and when I got it back its about 80-90* So the connection could be either. Its is a brand new intercooler. I have been reading about that boost checker that some guy made on here and I am going to make one and pressurize the system. Today it was 98* and It was letting out a huge thick black cloud when I got on the highway. I floored it when it was hot and got up to 18-19 lbs where it used to hit 20, which is leading me to believe the intercooler or the boots.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:06 PM

My truck does not smoke at all even when it 116%. Not he heat that causes it.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a hard time not making smoke when its in the 80s or 90s....I really have to take it easy...and it still smokes a little. But thats with the hypertech on stage 3 and the 275s
Old 05-31-2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Andy505
I have a hard time not making smoke when its in the 80s or 90s....I really have to take it easy...and it still smokes a little. But thats with the hypertech on stage 3 and the 275s
Its smoking just like it was when I borowed your hypertech. Its only from slow speeds and about 1/4 throttle. The more I push it the more smoke.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
did you have the truck last summer?
if not...then I would say that the amount of smoke is normal for this heat.

if so...you should have seen that amount of smoke last summer during the heat

My truck...when it was totally stock...would smoke a little during the hot summer months...and at winter time...or when it was cooler..it didnt smoke at all.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:37 PM

This is my first summer with it. In the winter I got a lot of the blue/white smoke on intial startup, but none when driving or the truck was warm. Today it was really humid, I had the AC running and the truck felt a little soft and the trans shifted a little harder (which it does when it gets hot). It just throws a lot of smoke out man it looks like yours. It runs good though so I dont think its that serious. That boost test will tell I think. I also wonder if the new intercooler flows less. Maybe I am worring for nothing. Whens the next show?

Quick Reply: Does hot weather make smoke or do I have a problem.