24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Did I melt a piston???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Did I melt a piston???

PS if it a piston make sure you repace it with the same part no.- they make 3 sizes for deck ht...they call them grades just to confuse us. the no. is on the top of course .that is if you hve a isb eng (24valve)
Old 11-28-2003, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got delayed on the tear down. Felt real quezy on Tuesday, ok on Wednesday, came home from Thanksgiving dinner feeling real bad. Spent all night making a path between he bathroom and the bed. Got up this evening, feel a little better. Guess I have the flue or whatever. Probably get to it Sat and Sun if I feel ok. A lot of dehydration and sleep constantly. Bummer, living alone I really enjoy the home dinners that I don't normally get, this one got messed up. Course my two daughters that are local keep waking me up calling to see if I am ok.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:35 PM

Sounds like you got the "running trots", drink a lot of gatoraid and other fluids. You may have picked up some bad road food, and then your stomach didn't know how to handle REAL GOOD FOOD . Get better and let us know what you find with your truck.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:33 PM

Well I did not burn a piston. The number one cylinder walls are scored both sides. Looks like a piston tried to sieze. I don't know where I am on it right now, looks like its time to pull it. Its a real shame too, the other cylinders still have the hone lines in the walls. It is not piston pin problems, the scoring is on the sides not at the pin area. Head gasket looks good.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Is it too bad to bore and go oversize?
Old 12-04-2003, 12:37 PM
RCW

Very light scoring can sometimes be cleaned up with a hone, but it has to be so light as to not be much more than a thousandth of an inch.

When you go to take your piston out, check the oiler at the bottom that shoots oil on the underside of the piston. Look for left over oil filter sealant or a chunk of silicone sealant in the oiler port on #1. If it is found, then be sure to clean all your oil ports, as it will be elsewhere just waiting to plug a port.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:17 PM

[quote author=RCW link=board=13;threadid=22814;start=15#msg218154 date=1070563054]
Very light scoring can sometimes be cleaned up with a hone, but it has to be so light as to not be much more than a thousandth of an inch.

When you go to take your piston out, check the oiler at the bottom that shoots oil on the underside of the piston. Look for left over oil filter sealant or a chunk of silicone sealant in the oiler port on #1. If it is found, then be sure to clean all your oil ports, as it will be elsewhere just waiting to plug a port.
[/quote]

I have not been able to check the oil cooler jet yet, but believe I have found the reason it went down. The roughness will have to be bored. I would guess that it is .005 or so deep. Too much to hone out.

Talked to a Cummins Rep from Arkansas today, he just happened to be a Cummins of Birmingham. He said that most of the time when number one goes out it is coolant. He explained that due to the angle of the engine, if there is any loss of coolant an air pocket forms at number one and it will heat and sieze easily. Then I run back over how it happened and the truck never gets over 190 but this time it got up near the high normal line, never has done that before. When I pulled it down the overflow bottle was empty, so I guess that is what caused it.

I have several ways to go and the loss of time is one of the problems. The weather stinks and I am outside with it. I have a company that will bore it in the truck, but Cummins says do not do it and are very strong about it. So the engine has to come out.

A short block from Cummins is about $3500 and long block is right at $5500. Discussing it with Cummins they are trying to find a surplus ISB engine for about $5000. That would be a new engine, complete with no cores. This sounds good to me as I will then have a spare if needed after going through the present engine. They said that they have found them before and put out a nation wide dealer request for it.

So for the next few days I am on hold to see what comes up and what direction I will go. If all else fails I may just get the hole bored, stick a .020 over piston in it and get back to work. With this weather I don't feel comfortable doing a hurry up job, rebuilding my engine. IF they do come up with a complete engine, I will have a complete ISB put back together and sitting in the shop.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Will there be any after effects from just boring out one cylinder or do you not really care at this time?
Sometimes, you just gotta do what you gotta do to get back on the road.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:37 AM

Haulin', if it were my decision, I would get the in-frame bore, get back to work, and keep looking for the surplus engine to use later.

Big rigs do in frames all of the time. You will soon lose the cost of the repair in lost work.

Just my opinion.
george
Old 12-05-2003, 09:49 AM
Administrator

That's the same thing I was going to suggest if you're only going ot patch it. Do the in frame, close her up and get back on the road. Then look for another short block and re-do it at a more convenient time if there is such a thing in your line of work.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:21 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Check these guys out. When I first got my truck, I was looking into repair costs. They told me they would normally beet out Cummins (which has a shop down the road from them) on both new and rebuilt. If shipping costs put it over the edge, they could probably recommend someone in your area. The guy at the counter was very helpful, knew I wasn't bying that day, and didn't make me uncomfortable. Good luck.
http://www.aisengines.com/
Old 12-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Banned

In my opion you need to find the reason for the score job..like it has allready been stated the little plastic oil cooling jets have a bad habit of jumping out of thir homes.
you will know as soon as the pan is off as they will be there and yes you can pull the pan with the eng. in the frame.
the only problem is that to put in new ones the crank has to come out.....
as far as a inframe the big rigs have liners so a bore job is not a issue...been there done that..not pretty......if it comes to a bore, job pm me there is a bunch of other things to address at that time and I won't bother you with them at this time
Old 12-05-2003, 08:18 PM

Haulindixie, If Cummins of B'ham comes up with an engine will they ship it to your place or their place in Tarrant City, if you need me too, I can pick it up in Tarrant City and bring to your place, if you need. Also have a 150,000 btu propane torpedo heater if you need it, this cold really sucks as I was out in it most of the day messing with the pumps in the back shop, 15 foot wide door ruins trying to use the heater
Old 12-05-2003, 08:19 PM

NOTICE I said "PICK IT UP" NOT pay for it
Old 12-05-2003, 09:06 PM

[quote author=PumpDaddy link=board=13;threadid=22814;start=15#msg218981 date=1070677163]
NOTICE I said "PICK IT UP" NOT pay for it
[/quote]

Rats... and I had my hopes up ;D I have my Jeep pickup and that will hold it, I am sure they will load it. I have a 13 foot high gantry here with a winch for it. Did not hear from them today, will go down there Monday and see if they found anything. I probably will have to pay for shipping from its location and in that case I will have it delivered here instead of Tarrant. I'll be in touch when I hear something. Thanks....

Quick Reply: Did I melt a piston???