24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dead Pedal Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead Pedal Help

Truck details are in the signature. I currently have 152K on the truck. The original LP was replaced at 98K with a stock LP purchased from the dealer (no choice). I'm still running the original IP. I'm starting to get the dead pedal. The first episode happened about 10 days ago. The 2nd episode happened 8 days and 500 miles later. I did the key on/off trick and got p0500, p1693, and p0216. I took it to AutoZone to pull the codes and they pulled p0216. I guess it's time to start saving for a new IP. Currently the truck starts fine, my mileage has not dropped, and I have not noticed any white smoke. I currently have 8k on the filter. I don't have any guages so I don't know what my FP is. I know I need a permanent guage, but is there any place that I can get a temporary guage to test my FP? I'm guessing I need a guage with a connection to tap into the shrader valve on the IP side of the LP? What guage should I get for a permanent solution? If I need to get a IP (and it looks like I do), where should I purchase it? Should I also replace the LP at the same time? Or should I just get guages and monitor it?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:17 PM

Sorry about your situation. I've never had to replace the Injection Pump, but I've done some research on this forum. I would talk to these guys first ( http://www.mwfi.com/VP44.htm ) and use them to compare with others. Search this forum for info. Good Luck
Old 05-01-2007, 09:16 PM

I first had dead pedal 3 months ago. Right away I upgraded the lift pump to an Air Dog and have not had any issues since. Any pump will work, even the one you have if you mount it on the frame rail. Then forget about it. Your VP is probably fine for years to come. Mine too showed the dreaded 0216 code. The current lift pump will cavitate and distroy your VP44 in short order.
Read this...http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...d.php?t=182401
Old 05-01-2007, 09:18 PM

Welcome to the dead VP club. I got my first dead pedal this sunday evening. So now I have to save up for a IP. Mine is at 152,000 miles also. My fuel pressure has always been good. I put a walbro system on a year ago but I think my problem is the electronics rather than mechanical. Even when I had the OEM lift pump I never let it get low pressure. Just its time I guess. Got to find a good deal somewhere now. Dang that bites in the pocket!!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:36 AM

Where did you guys purchase the Walbro or Air Dog pumps? Did you mount them on the frame? or in the stock position? If you mount a LP on the frame, do you completely remove the stock LP? After searching this site, I see people doing it both ways (bypassing the stock pump or using it inline). If mounting on the frame, should I purchase the Vulcan Big Line Reloaction kit? I also need to get a FP gauge. I'm completely stock, so I don't yet need any other gauges. Which gauge do you recommend and is the installation easy?
Old 05-02-2007, 04:41 PM

Triple pilar mount gauges. Boost Presure, Fuel Presure and Exhaust Gas temperature are three important readings. They usually come from the same place and run around $350. Installation instruction are easy and or ask the sales person. My pilar came painted to match and includes a place for the speaker.

I removed the stock fuel filter housing and lift pump and installed an Airdog to the frame whick goes directly to the VP. There may be a link to a photo on my signature. A big line kit is unnecessary IMO, but nice.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:58 PM

Unhappy white smoke no pedel

i have a similar problem with my 02 24 valve i got the codes p1693 and p0216 does this mean i have a ip problem
Old 05-02-2007, 11:37 PM

I got my walbro 392 kit from Glacier Diesel. It comes with the pump, big line kit up to the filter housing, and the connections. He can also get you a bigger pickup tube ( which I also have), and the big line kit from the filter to the IP( which I have). It works great. I havnt had any problems with it at all. I mounted it down on thr frame next to the tank. Real easy install. Takes about 2 hours including dropping the tank if you put in a new pick up tube.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:09 AM

Thanks for all the replies. At this point, I really need to test my FP. Do you know if any auto stores sell/loan a FP test gauge? I checked AutoZone last night and they did not have a loaner. They did have for sale a FP test gauge for gas engines, although I'm not sure why there would be a difference.

Where did you guys purchase your FP guage? Did you purchase an electric gauge or mechanical? If mechanical, are you using an isolator?
Old 05-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by redlabeljwalk
i have a similar problem with my 02 24 valve i got the codes p1693 and p0216 does this mean i have a ip problem
YES, I wouldn't get it to far from home.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:21 PM

Any mechanical gage will work. 15 psi or so. You just need a fitting to hook to the Schrader valve or the port onthe fuel filter housing.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:57 PM

Here's an update on my solution to the P0216 code. I talked to a local performance mechanic and he told me that the 216 code does not always mean the IP is on the way out. He said it could be caused by low pressure. To validate the warranty on a new IP, you also need to replace the LP. So he suggested replacing the LP, clearing the codes, then monitor the FP and see if the code returns. If it does, then you need a new IP. I purchased the "do it yourself walbro kit" with the big line kit between the IP and filter (www.wideopendiesel.com). I also purchased a Westach electrical FP gauge (www.genosgarage.com). I completed the install tonight and had AutoZone clear the codes. After driving around for awhile, I checked the codes with the on/off key trick and so far, no codes.

Now for my next question. I'm getting 20 psi at idle, 20 psi while cruising, and 18 psi at WOT. Is this normal? I have the needle valve close to completely shut off. BTW, you can purchase the needle valve from Ace Hardware. Should I tweak the regulator to bring the pressure down to 15? Or is 20 OK? What about the lack of pressure drop at cruising and WOT? BTW, I am checking pressure at the IP inlet.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Registered

20 psi is fine, some will say 15 is better. If you still have warrenty, I would go do some WOT pull and get that code to come back, before it runs out. The IP has been damaged.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:11 AM

I think all you guys with the "Dead Pedal" issue need to check the TPS, especially if you have a manual tranny. Unplug and clean the connection. I think the "DTC" code is Po122 ( not is the codes section) it says circuit low input or something like that. basically meaning a bad connection. Also if you experience the "Dead Pedal" even for just a second, it will trip the po216 because of low or zero pressure due to the TPS.
Good Luck!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:56 AM

Update on my 0216 issues (see my posts above). After replacing the lift pump and clearing the codes, I ran for another 2K miles before the next dead pedal syndrome and the 0216 code is back. The LP was not the problem and the dead pedal syndrome is coming more frequent. I replaced the IP, cleared the codes and currently have 300 miles on the new IP. I purchased the IP at www.mwfi.com for $1046.00.

Quick Reply: Dead Pedal Help