24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

CEL/P1689 DTC (somewhat long to give accurate details)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEL/P1689 DTC (somewhat long to give accurate details)

Hey guys, last night i was at a buddies house for a bit and he was in a hurry go to go wal-mart, anyway, when i went to leave, i cranked my truck for a sec and i stopped, did it again and stopped, both before it started, then last time i actually let it start, not sure why i did that either but anyway somwhere between that time and pulling into his alley to let it warm up the light came on, maybe a 1 min time interval.

I drove home with a cold truck, then my high idle cam on, so i let it idle and warm up in my driveway before shutting it down. Ended up having a buddy call me so i drove it to his house instead of parking it for the night. When i got to his house i checked my codes with his reader, got a P1689 and PO236, im used to the 236 so that didn't bother me, but id never had or heard of a P1689, come to find out its P1689 (M) No Communication Between ECM and Injection Pump Module. Data link circuit failure between ECM and fuel injection pump. Low power, engine derated, or engine stops.

Anyway, when i was driving it from one buddies to home, then home to other buddies, i never drove it hard, but i also never felt any of those symptoms. Ive done some research and found out that 99% of the time this is NOT caused by a failing/failed IP, but rather an open ground wire or a failed fuel pump relay. Now, that being said, my grounds are all good, and my FPR is working, because the truck runs.

I cleared the codes, after writing them down, and took it for a pretty good drive. Gt the motor up to operating range and ragged on it to make sure there was no loss of power etc. and that the code didn't come back. Needless to say, i saw 39 lbs of boost and rocketed to 80+ in the matter of about 5-7 sec. in 6th gear from about 35 mph roll. Did this about 3x, and definitly NOT any loss of power.

So now, im debating somewhere in the 3 times i cranked it, within about 5 sec time, something wasn't read on the computer or something turned on and shut off quicker than it should causing a glitch etc., OR our -10 deg weather was just messing with my truck.

Give me your guys consensus on this just to see what your opinions are.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:00 AM

Did you check the ground behind starter for the ECM?
If doesn't come back in couple weeks, it was a fluke. Otherwise the VP44 is working on your bilfold.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:26 AM

well so far no sign of anything....